Collapse
85 results in 0.0097 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• zarlor
    replied to Gedmatch Opinions needed.
    Personally, I would suggest that they very well could be meaningful (my triangulated matches suggest that at least some of them may very well be). Others would not just disagree, but from some of the conversations I've seen on this forum they would vehemently disagree, so I tend to just stay out of...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to Gedmatch Opinions needed.
    Ignoring whether or not 3cM segments could possibly be relevant to anything (I side solidly with Mr. Hanson on this one, it may not always be likely, but it I wouldn't call them completely insignificant especially when you can triangulate it), I think the above statement is the MOST important thing...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to DNA Error Fix
    I played around with this a bit more today. I have FTDNA, 23andme and Ancestry files for both of my parents as well as myself. I had to make sure I ran the b36tob37 process on the FTDNA files, but the 23andme and AncestryDNA ones note they are build 37 in their headers. I also included my x-chromosome...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to DNA Error Fix
    You're right. That must have been it. Thanks!...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to DNA Error Fix
    I can't seem to get v1.3 to run on my Windows 8 system. I get a "This app can't run on your PC" error. v1.2 ran fine the other day, though.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to DNA Error Fix
    I believe you are correct that none of them provide phased data. The only company that supposedly uses phased data for comparison matching is supposed to be AncestryDNA but I remember reading someplace that their downloadable data file is unphased.

That does give me an idea, though. Since...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to DNA Error Fix
    You may not be able to tell, but in some cases you might find that a child has, say, a no call that multiple company tests weren't able to fill in, or the child doesn't have multiple tests to work with. Or what about the case where, say, a child has AG in a location from one company and GG from another...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to DNA Error Fix
    True, and you could always ask if the user wanted such a change made, but if you have multiple files from multiple companies it becomes easier to do some better comparisons to suggest if a SNP might be a mutation or not.

The same reason gedmatch offers the ability to consolidate...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to DNA Error Fix
    Very cool. Thanks!

If you wanted to expand this any further might I also suggest if we had a child with both parents (or to a lesser extent only 1 parent) that you might be able to add functionality to check and possible correct possible inheritance errors?

Also, what about...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to Autosomal matches
    Agreed that it is not odd at all. The 50% inheritance thing is not really like taking 50% from each and then throwing it all into a blender, but more like chopping a carrot and some lettuce to make a salad with varying size pieces of each. You might pass down a particular chunk of lettuce or carrot...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by zarlor; 4 June 2013, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to Gedmatch
    Gedmatch has a notice up on the site about that, too, along with lots of detailed instructions on getting your files and such. So don't worry about "being prepared", just log in and you should find lots of good info there. The short answer is that it just doesn't matter. In fact gedmatch converts...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to Gedmatch
    I believe gedmatch is able to accept zipped files again, however, so you may no longer need to unzip the file at all.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Not really in the same way, but there are some utilities at http://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/FF23utils/ which you may still find useful.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to gedmatch login.
    Also be sure to check your spam filters, if you know how to do that. Ancestry emails often get caught in my spam filters.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• zarlor
    replied to Gedmatch
    I can't speak much to the first part, but the second is a definitive and emphatic "YES!" Cross-platform matches can be a bit... tenuous. For example I recently had someone contact me about match between their 23andme kit and my Dad's AncestryDNA kit. I think they had somewhere around 6cM...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X