447 results in 0.1156 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• JohnG
    started a topic Identifying the difference

Identifying the difference

Is there a way, other than the match sending their results, to find out what location and value is different between two people at a distance of 1? If I knew this, there is a possibility of seeing a family tree of MtDNA. I did the Big Y and can see a stair step of changes from 4000 years ago to 500...
    See more | Go to post

• JohnG
    replied to Evaluating a Big Y match
    No, of those 106, 42 are shared only with folks I relate to by surname in the last 500 years. 1 is By653 with a total of 5 people, and below DF27. The other 63 I have not exactly tabulated but some are under DF27 and most of the others under P312 but not DF27....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• NCBI is a part of NIH and I am a big fan. For bioinformatics to work well in genealogy and medicine lots of data is required and sharing our data is to me a rational and patriotic/humanitarian thing. I have a relative benefiting from the bioinformatic based treatment of cancer and I myself use a nosespray...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    replied to Evaluating a Big Y match
    In my surname project three of us took the Big Y. Two are 5th cousins with a common ancestor born about 200 years before we were born. The other is our 11th cousin with a common ancestor born about 1550, not quite 500 years ago. I match the 5th cousin on 106 novel variants. I match the 11th cousin...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• There are 37 markers (and for some kits 67) the big one that does not match is DYS390. So rephrasing, is there anything about DYS390 that says if we match on 36 of 37 but not on DYS390 we might still not be related in the last few hundred years.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    started a topic DYS 390 and DYS 391

DYS 390 and DYS 391

I have a surname group, related by paper, and the DNA agrees. Mixed in with this group are people with a different surname and one of these 'Mr. Near' matches our surname group except for one marker - DYS 391. Mr. Near has a count of 11 for the marker as do most of his surname, except one that has...
    See more | Go to post

• But it might not be closer timewise. I have been working on a family group with good paper documentation. I see an example of 6th cousins being 2 steps different and 3rd cousins being 4 steps different. The 4 step person had a lot of old fathers in their line, whether that is related or not....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    started a topic Oh, those Ides and Pecks back in New York

Oh, those Ides and Pecks back in New York

My great great grandmother, Eliza Peck, did not have an easy life. She was the youngest of a large family and just after they moved west, her mother, an Ide, died. Her father quickly remarried and moved further west, away from the aunt and uncle that had moved with them. In a few years she met and...
    See more | Go to post

• thanks, this should help me understand the YFull tree....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    replied to Burns FF surname match in Western PA
    You may have done this but I have ancestor's from Meadville too. I went there and found lots of entries in the newspaper records at the history museum. Everything from lost cows to the accident that killed my great great grandfather. The property records were also helpful and the legal records told...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Is there a table for translating the NV locations to the new SNP names in their table?...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    replied to New Tree Tool ???
    It would be great to see the date and location information when you hover over a name.

At first I was not sure this was an improvement, but the more I look at it I can see it going somewhere. I think having the matches I have identified in my tree will be useful.

I hope...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    replied to Big-Y Matching release?
    One of my matches has been able to look at novel variants but I still get the spinning. He says it took several tries and mid-day was best.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    Last night I was able to pull down the list of novel variants in common but today it hangs.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    I do see the list of novel variants. I share 106 with a known 5th cousin and 101 with a 'known' (but not all the generations by name) 10th cousin. Then it drops to shared in the 50s. These all have one difference in known SNPs from me. My 5th cousin is different by one and everyone else by a different...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X