26 results in 0.0138 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• dennis
    replied to Closely related or not?
    Noreen:
    When we apply the statistics of mutation rates to individual cases, the interpretation becoms a little cloudy. This is because mutations occur randomly, and are unpredictable. We have cases of first cousins that differ by two mismatches.
    If you have two people with the same...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• John:
    As a genealogist of many years experience, I'm sure you have learned not to rely on a single piece of evidence as the end of a genealogy investigation. Census records for example are often incorrect. A DNA test is just another piece of evidence that enters the record in our attempt...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to DNA Kit Question
    You did not say which test you ordered. The mtDNA test tells you your "deep" maternal ancestry - going back thousands of years. You may find several people who match your mtDNA, but the relationship usually pre-dates our paper genealogy.
    If you had the Y-chromosome test, the results...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to anyone wanna help??
    Hi:
    Even if your brother did the Y-chromosome DNA test, that alone would not tell you anything. You need DNA from someone else to compare with your brother.
    If you have a a male relative with the same surname, (uncle or cousin) then that relative and your brother could both have the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to Help!
    The best place to begin is with your relatives. Interview your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Develop a specific set of questions to ask, and get their basic information. You may want to consider recording the conversation, with their permission. Obtain as much information on your ancestors...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to 24/25 goes to 30/37
    Don:
    This isn't much help, but I think we will have to wait until we get a lot more 37 marker data before we can draw conclusions. Given the paper trail, it sure looks like a genetic relationship should exist. Your case could be one of those on the outer limits of statistical probabilities....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to New specimen question
    Lane:
    I assume you are talking about a Y chromosome test. It is considered best to sample the oldest living male with the surname. There is usually no difference, but there is always the chance that a rare mutation event occured between your dad and you. The fact that there was a cousin...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to surname match
    Yes, your DNA results will be compared with everyone who signs the release form. Whether you will match anyone can't be predicted. We have a few people who have zero matches. If you do match someone with a different surname, determining whether you could be related to that person depends on old style...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to surname match
    Chuck:
    Have you already received your DNA results? If the test was with FTDNA, you must sign the release card that is returned with the sample. Once you receive your results, you will have a personal DNA page at FTDNA. On that page there is a tab labeled "update contact information"....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to Lab Status
    Wayne:
    As a group admin, the only information I get in that regard is whether or not the sample has been shipped to the lab. In the case of upgrades, where the sample is already at the lab, I think they are waiting until they receive payment before notifying the lab to run the test. After the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Nancy:
    On your group administrators page click on "Project Profile page". The first box on that page is your group name. Make the correction there. I can't help with your email problem.
    Dennis West
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Caribel:
    Sub Saharan is everything south of the Saharan desert in Africa, which is composed primarily of Black populations. Look at the confidence intervals on your 3%, they probably overlap zero. When the minority percentages are very small, such as your 3%, the DNAprint test is not very...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to Surname variations
    Roy:

Since you are the group admin, I think you can add anyone you want to your project. If you have a SMITH who thinks his biological ggg gfather was a HUTCHISON, he could have his DNA tested as a member of your project.
    Dennis West
    WEST, GIBBONS, PARKER projects
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to No result for DYS 439
    John:
    I think your approach would be more appropriate than an assigned value. When comparing the results from the test with the missing value with others, you would then omit that locus from consideration in both haplotypes. It seems to me that using an assigned value could contribute to...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    replied to Y Dna
    Joe:
    It just depends on your markers (genes), in our WEST project, one participant has 116 exact matches on the 12 marker test. Another participant has zero matches, but he also has a very rare gene. If you have one or two rather rare markers, then the chances of a match are reduced, however...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X