Collapse
11 results in 0.0084 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• rt-sails
    replied to No match big Y is useless
    Just checked for my Big Y matches -- 0, none. I'd understand not matching on my terminal SNP (BY4064); it's bound to be a small group. But that's a couple of levels below Z253, a larger group. I just checked R-Z253 project stats; they have 822 members, ~380 with Big Y. Surely, at least some of the 380...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• New R haplogroup classification moots an SNP test?

I'd advise canceling the SNP test. Phylogenetically, P25 is R1b1; M269 is R1b1a2. P25 is upstream of your R-M269 prediction and if it goes through, you'll be stuck with the label until you test M269 &/or downstream SNPs. ...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rt-sails
    replied to Could someone explain this?
    I think the explanation is semantic confusion. The study you referred to lumped the people from (present) Denmark in with Anglo-Saxons but today we call Denmark part of Scandinavia.

"Viking", in its original meaning, meant to go raiding. Most of the raiders didn't hang around;...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I support Ann's advice; report it and ask for a review. It's worth being sure. If those three markers really are nulls (deletions) that's rare. In my project, with >600 Y-STR results, we've seen only a few nulls (spread out among the 600 men) and some of those went away after review.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rt-sails
    replied to Really, no matches in 4 years???
    Really, no matches in 4 years

Presumably, you're talking about a Y-DNA STR haplotype. Almost no one but FTDNA is testing those now. (The exceptions are small labs without match-searching resources; 23andMe and Ancestry test autosomal DNA but not Y.)

In...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rt-sails
    replied to Large Y descent clusters
    Y chromosome mutations

No. The Y chromosome is carried by the male father's sperm and, unlike other chromosomes, doesn't recombine with its partner -- an X within the female mother's egg....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Y46 to Y37 Transfer Tracking

I'm seeing some project members have difficulty with transfers of Y46 to Y37. This requires a new sample to be submitted for the additional markers, but progress seemingly isn't tracked. It's as though the sample kit is ignored by the system until received....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Project Admin Guidelines

It seems fairly clear that the authors of these guidelines have little concept of what administering a DNA project entails; some of the items have not been thought through sufficiently. Perhaps, more admins might have been involved in the early development. ...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rt-sails
    replied to No matches on Y DNA
    No matches on Y DNA

By "no matches", I'm guessing you mean none appearing on the search list. To some, "match" is not a yes/no matter, but one of degrees.

It's possible, of course, that FTDNA has tested no one else with a haplotype even remotely like...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Disappearing Results

We recently saw some results disappear from the Taylor project database, about two dozen of them. One day they were there, a month later they weren't. An inquiry didn't produce an explanation as to the cause, but the results came back again.

With a...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rt-sails
    started a topic More Statistics

More Statistics

I'd like to see more done with the probabilities on the website. This was a valuable feature of Relative Genetics, before it was taken over by Ancestry.

As a member of a surname project admin team, I get many questions about what a particular match means. The answers invariably involve...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X