Search Result

Collapse
54 results in 0.0069 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• cjm
    started a topic Y-DNA matches by STR Only?

Y-DNA matches by STR Only?

When they display your Y DNA matches on here, do they only look for similar STR numbers or is there any scanning of SNPs to accompany that? I'm asking because simply trying to match by STR works in many cases, but there are occasions where an STR result between two people will be similar with only a...
    See more | Go to post

• STR's are usually only reliable for distance if you can also confirm the subclade. That being said, you can use STRs to narrow down possible candidates for who you are close to, but the final arbiter is going to be your SNPs. On YFull, I have people who are 7 distances from me in STRs, but not in my...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Publicizing your DNA Project to Appropriate Associations

Great question, not technical, but I thought you guys would have some experience to share. I'm trying to build rapport...any kind of rapport...with the association of the surname I'm a DNA project administrator for. I see all kinds of DNA projects where people have close relationships with the societies...
    See more | Go to post

• John, I was trying to see if I can apply the same areas my dad matches with someone to my own profile to fill in blank areas. The more I thought about it though, I don't think that's a good idea, unless there is a proven phased match. If we laid out two sides, my mother's chromosomes and my father's,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• cjm
    started a topic Recombining DNA after subsequent generations

Recombining DNA after subsequent generations

OK so I'm using DNA Painter and I'm using my autosomal results and my father's. He has DNA matches I don't have that are confirmed in areas that on my DNA profile are blank. I want to paint in that area using matches from me who also match in that spot, even though they aren't linked to that specific...
    See more | Go to post

• cjm
    replied to Better Customer Service on Big-Y
    Thanks for the explanation Bartarl. My priorities going into Big-Y were to officially establish my line and break new ground because I knew there was no easy way I was going to accomplish SNP testing based on what's currently available. So this is all a great thing for me.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• cjm
    started a topic Better Customer Service on Big-Y

Better Customer Service on Big-Y

After eagerly awaiting my Big-Y results after two months, it was delayed, now delayed again another two weeks. I've seen posts on here where people are going 8 months and over a year on their results. My question: Is there a way FTDNA could organize how long they anticipate the results to be and provide...
    See more | Go to post

• Anyone have any tips for finding Gedmatch Ancestry matches on Ancestry?

I'm having a big stumbling block here. I'll be on Gedmatch doing one-to-many matches and see a whole bunch of people who's Gedmatch kit number starts with "A". So I'll go on Ancestry and try and seek out the actual names on the member directory or the DNA match searches, and I can never find...
    See more | Go to post

• When you get hardcore about Y-testing

Have you ever broke ground on finding a new distant cousin on your tree and you become excited at the possibility of meeting him but mostly because you want to see if that person will Y-test so you can find out the haplogroup of an ancestor?...
    See more | Go to post

• cjm
    replied to When an autosomal match is not a match
    For me, one guy had 13.43 CM segment and one part of his family was from the same area as the suspected side, but we didn't connect on any names. I had to tell him that either it's a random match or we match probably somewhere in the 1600's...past our paper trails.

The other person, I was...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• cjm
    started a topic When an autosomal match is not a match

When an autosomal match is not a match

Have you ever been sent an email inquiry about an autosomal match and after reviewing your tree and all the possibilities, you just come to the conclusion with the other person that either a. the match is just a random DNA segment match...we aren't actually related or b. we may be related but it's probably...
    See more | Go to post

• cjm
    started a topic Irritating Problem with Surname Searches

Irritating Problem with Surname Searches

I'm having an issue with Friend Finder searches on FamilyTree. My issue: when you type in a name in the surname search, it will come up with matches. That's fine...now...if you're typing in a short surname, it will provide a set of matches where the surname you were looking for will substitute for the...
    See more | Go to post

• cjm
    replied to Chromosome Browser boo!
    D'oh. Duh. Thanks guys!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• cjm
    started a topic Chromosome Browser boo!

Chromosome Browser boo!

I went through a process of uploading my dad's autosomal results to FamilyTree. Then I went to my own account and used the chromosome browser with my dad. According to the browser, every single area of every chromosome browser lit up. I freaked out, thinking I must have uploaded my own data. Spent today...
    See more | Go to post

• Is there a way to merge projects?

I found another group project where the name is essentially a variation of the surname from the DNA Project I run. I've contacted that administrator, who would be interested in joining everything together. So the question - can it be done?
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X