No announcement yet.

Search Result

Collapse
50 results in 0.0124 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Ancestry does seem to have an issue with underestimating matches but that's happening with many of my actual 3rd and 4th cousins who have common ancestors from an area with heavy emigration to the US. There are a lot of sticky genes that I share with those matches. On Gedmatch I can see many other matches...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by CuriousAdoptee; 5 April 2017, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• My new MyOrigins results are bizarre. I really don't get where the Southwest Europe is coming from.

Three of my four grandparents are 100% German and primarily from Pomerania and Lower Saxony.

British Isles 30%
    East Europe 10%
    Southeast Europe 17%
    West...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I located my birthfather through DNA genealogy (not necessarily Family Finder) and without an initial close match. My message is that waiting for that close match might not happen so you have to try to make that close match happen.

What I did was figured out that two of my 4th cousins (two...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    replied to How I found my birthfather
    23&Me showed 2% European Jewish and DNA Land had 3% but My Origins here on FTDNA shows 0%. Ancestry shows a trace <1%.

What could have happened is the sibling or cousin of one of my ancestors married into a Jewish family back in the 1500s. That DNA is considered both German and...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    Of course, but 99% of my matches are Ashkenazi Jewish even though I have no known Ashkenazi heritage.

I have a long list of 2nd-4th cousins on Family Finder which caused me to spend months and month researching how I was related to people who's parents suffered through the Holocaust in...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by CuriousAdoptee; 9 September 2016, 10:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    I'm female and looking for my birthfather, so MTDNA is useless.

I located my birthmom years ago from my non-identifying information. Had I not found her from that, it would be incredibly easy to figure out who she was from my matches on Ancestry and 23 & Me. MTDNA likely wouldn't have...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by CuriousAdoptee; 4 September 2016, 01:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    When I first got my FTDNA results, I was ecstatic because I had at least six 2nd to 4th cousin and I thought it would be easy to triangulate and find my birthfather. But almost all of these matches were either Holocaust survivors or the children of Holocaust survivors. If we are related, it either due...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    Quote deleted

I'm a little old for Pokemon.

I don't want to discourage anyone from searching, since my search lead the direction it did. The message I wanted to send to everyone is it is possible even for those who don't get many matches to be able to find an unknown birthparent...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    My mom was a minor when i was born. The father listed in paperwork was also a minor. My actual father may have been not a minor unless there's an unknown younger brother.

One of the candidates I have information about where he lives because he's a registered sex offender....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    replied to Can someone explain
    Transfers from Ancestry may be part of the problem, since people aren't really testing with Family Tree, and may look at the results and aren't fully invested in actually using Family Tree.

What I've come across is that the individuals the most into DNA genealogy are only interested in...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    I'm wondering whether or not my birthmom was raped or was being sexually abused. Which is always a possibility for adoptees. At minimum, both would be statutory and likely someone older taking advantage of someone who is very naive.

It's always been something on the back of my mind since...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    I haven't tested potential birth fathers yet. Nor approached them about "hey, did you happen to sleep this teenage girl in this year?" Both are 5+ years older than my birthmom.

Testing close relatives is a little more complicated by half-sibling relationships which clouds things,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have no close matches that I didn't pay for the person to test. I'm an adoptee and was looking for my birthfather and without paying for people to test, I would never have been able to get any answers waiting for people to test.

All of my ancestors lived in the US by the 1900s, but...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CuriousAdoptee
    replied to No Jewish matches
    Well, the fact that my ethnicity shows only a very small percentage of Ashkenazi matches the paper trail. The only sign I have any Jewish heritage is all the matches on FTDNA and also 23 & Me.

On Ancestry, two of my mom's 1st cousins have tested now, one has a small trace of European...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by CuriousAdoptee; 19 July 2016, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ancestry doesn't technically delete matches, but the icon to remove a match is a trash can. Those matches can still be accessed with the link to the removed matches.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X