Collapse
500 results in 0.1335 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• 1_mke
    replied to The Irish are not Celts
    Define Irish. I'm not sure I'm qualified to post and need some sort of direction. Ancestry.com says I'm between 20-94%from the Isles and specifically calls Ireland out at an additional 0-9%. Do I qualify?

The paper record indicates that three of my eight great grand parents were German....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I find it annoying that I get email notifications for mtDNA matches that may be ten thousand years back while the Y DNA web interface arbitrarily decides that it won't show me matches that might be a mere two thousand years back.

Seriously, the Y DNA stuff needs work. I've complained...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to Half-Aunt?
    That sounds like a half aunt to me, percentage wise anyway.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to Buh-Bye Ancestry.com
    They are apparently shutting down a lot of their non core stuff. If I were to guess I'd say they've hired some bright young MBA to evaluate their business and the recommendation was to cut costs and simplify their operations.

In general that is good advice but such cuts are sometimes...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• My Y DNA is eastern European and I had zero matches at 12 markers. I eventually went from 12 to 111 markers and didn't pickup a single match until recently, a seven step match at the 67 marker point.

It's amazing how strong the current sampling bias is. This is true even on the autosomal...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to Found my birth mother!
    Congratulations!

DNA testing, a bit of luck and a lot of hard work is making it possible to solve so many of these mysteries. We are very lucky to live in this time.

-Mike
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to Half Siblings?
    Having said that, it's very unlikely but not impossible for them to be full siblings given the amount of matching you list. It's theoretically possible for full siblings to have 0% matching but the odds of that happening in the entire history of the universe are probably low.

I don't...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to Half Siblings?
    The easiest way to tell for sure is to see how much (if any) full matching they have. I don't think this is possible on FTDNA? But it is possible on Gedmatch. Full siblings will have at least some full matching.

Half siblings will only have half identical matching, assuming they aren't...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to Central/South Asian
    My Mom's kit is M193520 on GedMatch.

Here are her results from the MDLP world-22

Population
    Pygmy -
    West-Asian 9.84%
    North-European-Mesolithic 3.31%
    Indo-Tibetan -
    Mesoamerican -
    Arctic-Amerind -...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• It would require more computation but it seems to me that the way to get the best results is to do things in multiple passes.

Pass one has three reference populations. Asian, African and European. Lets imagine a person who is about admixed 33.3% each. The next pass would take the DNA...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• The reality is there is some variability here and different companies/tests seem to draw the line in different places in terms of filtering. I've looked at a lot of admixture results for myself. I've tested at the big three and have uploaded my results to gedmatch. Depending on the sample populations...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to New Guy Here - NPE
    My suspicion is that most of them should not be in our trees unless they are on side branches tracked down towards the present.

Say you have a number of matches that you share a common ancestor with from the early 18th century. Assume those distant relatives are all slightly more closely...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    My experience with 23andMe's surname tool is that it isn't very useful. This isn't a fault with the tool but rather with the distance in time of the vast majority of matches. The surnames provide clues to ethnicity but as I've learned more about the identity of my NPE's it's become clear that those...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    I've identified two NPE's in my ancestry that occurred over the past few generations and suspect a third. I don't have any problem with the term. It is what it is and it doesn't define me.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• 1_mke
    replied to Central/South Asian
    Interesting. She doesn't show any eastern European. Her European breakdown is...

56% European Central Islands
    26% North Med. Basin
    16% European Northlands.

She was adopted but I have a pretty good handle on both her maternal and paternal sides going back a...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X