No announcement yet.

Search Result

Collapse
500 results in 0.1453 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Any connection to Sweden (or New Sweden) will probably result in some Finnish DNA. Actually, a good part of the population of the New Sweden Colony was, in fact, Finnish by ethnicity. A possible Norwegian connection: the royal houses of Sweden and Denmark were known to move Finnish people into underpopulated...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by mixedkid; 16 November 2016, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Finnish connection + New Sweden Colony

I think at times, relationship ranges can be, in a sense, OVER estimated. You've given us a hint of the population, or at least one of the populations you are descended from: Swedish. Besides Scandinavians, might Finns and Lapps be in the family...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• What surnames point toward

I just checked 23 and Me. The results change slightly over time. Another common name I noticed for my mom's matches is Farmer. My mother is a descendant of the Farmer family, through her father. (My mother is 88 years old, her sister, 90.) I believe one...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by mixedkid; 31 December 2015, 01:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Common names and ethnicity

The most common names feature can point towards a solid ancestral ethnic group or related groups. Example: Scandinavian. The common names among my matches: Brown, Smith, ERIKSSON. My dad: JENSEN, Baker, Wright. My mom: Brown, Smith, JOHANSSON. My dad's maternal...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I can't give you a direct answer to your questions, but here is what I have found after several years of dealing with colonial ancestry research: (1)If you didn't know you had British North America or New France ancestry, you certainly will know after seeing your growing match list;(2)No matter what...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied to Changing Classifications?
    I would say the Scandinavian in both samples are explainable by Viking or modern day Scandinavian migration to the British Isles (including Ireland) and Germany (in the case of your mom's and dad's family).

Your Middle Eastern and your aunt's Ashkenazi? My guess is a Jewish ancestor...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied to Dutch
    Scandinavians/Forest Finns

It would be very normal for a Dutch person to have Scandinavian DNA present in his or her genome. There is the always the Viking factor -- but a far more likely explanation is direct Norwegian immigration to the Netherlands from the Age of Exploration onward....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied to Ethnic Makeup.
    X chromosome and indications of ancestry

This will not answer the original poster's question, but might help others when considering the X chromosome:

When using Countries of Ancestry on 23 and Me, I can see indications of Scandinavian and Finnish ancestry, and that includes...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied to 100% European MyOrgins?
    possible origins of Finnish component

If you have known Scandinavian ancestry, the Finnish component might be connected to that. "Forest Finns" were settled in Scandinavia, especially Norway. Also, as far as Sweden goes, those who have are culturally Swedish might have Finnish...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Y DNA testing may point towards one branch of your paternal line, but most of the time it will not. Still, I have to admit, even I am caught up in the mystery of just where my Y DNA haplogroup originated.

All three of the big three DNA companies give results that may point toward your...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by mixedkid; 26 July 2015, 01:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ancient origins results more likely

I have been involved in YDNA testing for some time now and have only once received a match that even closely resembled my dad's family's true surname. And thankfully, I have never received any matches that even closely resembled the surname of my grandfather's...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by mixedkid; 6 July 2015, 04:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Disappearing results

Truthfully, I liked the "are your parents related?" tool on GEDmatch at first. Results for a long time showed my mom and dad very distantly related several generations back. My guess at the time was that they were related through French families(my dad...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by mixedkid; 5 July 2015, 01:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• the ultimate history book

The human genome is the ultimate history book. Any ethnic mix, any trace amount of unexpected DNA type is possible through these DNA tests.

The Scandinavian could come from actual Scandinavians living in Denmark, Norway or Sweden. Then again,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied to Middle Eastern results
    The Middle Eastern and Finnish DNA for me

I have always received trace amounts of Middle Eastern on this site (no matter the incarnation of test results) but my parents have not. Yet, my mother has known distant Jewish ancestors on her paternal side and one tree associated with my dad's...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by mixedkid; 19 June 2015, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied to 25% Scandinavian/25% southern Euro
    Some very real possibilities

Deerslayer, Here are some possible explanations for your results. Bear in mind too that Ancestry, 23 and Me, and other companies would actually give you variations of your ethnic ancestry:

(1) A lot of Scandinavian for people seems to be...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X