• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    georgian1950
    FTDNA Customer

• georgian1950
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevo View Post
    It only takes a day or so to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road from the wrong side of the car.
    I haven't tried it myself, but what I have heard is that it is not difficult to getting use to driving on the other side of the road. What you have to be careful about is aiming for the correct lane when you make a turn.

Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981
    Last edited by Stevo; 1 June 2021, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    When you go to Ireland, I recommend you do what we did: stay in a bed-and-breakfast, and rent a car. It only takes a day or so to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road from the wrong side of the car. If you get out in the country - and you will - Ireland has some pretty narrow roads bordered with hedgerows. It can be pretty hairy when a big lorry is coming the other way and you have to squeeze over and hug the hedgerow. Staying in a bed-and-breakfast is a good way to get to know your hosts. We had a great time with that. It was so much fun. We went to Mass with them, visited their favorite local pub, and hung out with them in the evening in front of a turf fire after a day of running around Ireland.

Here's where we stayed on our first trip to Ireland:

Hawthorn Lodge

Hopefully they'll be fully open soon, now that the COVID-19 pandemic seems to be subsiding. The Hogans are wonderful people.
    Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981
    Last edited by Stevo; 31 May 2021, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46379

• KATM
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestion, it does sound fun. I would like to visit Ireland one day, at least to visit Kilkenny. In the meantime, I hope eventually to find the origins of my other set of Irish 2nd great-grandparents, but thus far they remain brick walls. I suspect at least one was from Co. Monaghan. Plus, I need to renew my passport! Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by KATM View Post
    Stevo, you make nice charts and I am always impressed by them, and the other visuals you post. I hadn't heard of Phylogeographer, but looked it up and gave it a try for my now-upline paternal R-L1308 branch (which YFull does have), vs. latest terminal R-FGC46379 (which YFull does not have yet). Of course the heat map did not tell me anything new, but nice to have a heat map image.

L1308_phylogeographer_heatmap.jpeg
    I know the pin is meant to be generalized for location within Ireland, but it coincidentally looks to be fairly close to Kilkenny City, earliest location of my immigrant patrilineal ancestor, his father (b. 1808) and paternal grandfather (b. ca. 1780s or so).

Anyway, howdy neighbor!
    Thanks! Those heat maps are fun. Looks like we're right across the Irish Sea from one another.

Back in the summer of 2015 we rode the ferry from Holy Head in Wales across the Irish Sea to Dublin. It was so much fun. I highly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46379

• KATM
    replied
    Stevo, you make nice charts and I am always impressed by them, and the other visuals you post. I hadn't heard of Phylogeographer, but looked it up and gave it a try for my now-upline paternal R-L1308 branch (which YFull does have), vs. latest terminal R-FGC46379 (which YFull does not have yet). Of course the heat map did not tell me anything new, but nice to have a heat map image.

L1308_phylogeographer_heatmap.jpeg
    I know the pin is meant to be generalized for location within Ireland, but it coincidentally looks to be fairly close to Kilkenny City, earliest location of my immigrant patrilineal ancestor, his father (b. 1808) and paternal grandfather (b. ca. 1780s or so).

Anyway, howdy neighbor!

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Rearranged the doo-dads a bit and added some. No one else is posting. I might as well.

FGC36974 tree_Stephens_Stevens_with symbols.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Here's the Stephens/Stevens portion of the R1b-BY168 Tree, which I decorated with some doo-dads, including the Phylogeographer heat map for FGC36974, which nicely conforms to the Stephens surname frequency map. All of us Stephens/Stevens matches are derived for FGC36974. I am over on the left under FGC36981. James H. Stevens (b. 1835) is my second great grandfather. Augustine Stevens is my fifth great grandfather.

FGC36974 tree_Stephens_Stevens_with symbols.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Might as well post the updated R1b-BY168 Tree here. The only update is the addition of S552 between L21 and DF13.

We Stephens/Stevens bunch are all under FGC36974 in about the middle of the tree. My gang, the descendants of Augustine Stevens, is under FGC36982, which is under FGC36974.

In a recent interview, Nick Patterson of David Reich's ancient DNA team mentioned that a big paper is coming soon on ancient British DNA that goes as far toward the present as the Iron Age. I'm hoping some BY168 shows up in it. BY168 dates back to about 550 BC.

Notice the 1,950-year gap between BY168 and BY166? You know there had to be some SNPs in that gap. We just don't know what they are yet. I hope some Big Y-700 test results come in sometime soon to fill in that gap.

R1b-BY168 subclades.jpg
    Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981
    Last edited by Stevo; 25 April 2021, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    I was looking at my Big Y-700 Block Tree this evening and found that FTDNA has inserted a newly-discovered SNP between L21 and DF13: S552. Cool, but it threw a monkey wrench into my graphics, since they all had the old pedigree on them. I had to go back in and revise them to show S552. If you look back at the tree graphics I've posted in this thread, you'll notice that S552 is absent because it had not yet been discovered when I created them.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Thanks to God, to Y-DNA testing with Family Tree DNA, and to genealogical research, I know my Stevens ancestors came from Wales. I don't know exactly from which village or town in Wales, but I know they came from Wales. Based on my Y-DNA matches I think they probably came from Powys in eastern Wales, near the English border.

Anyway, back in the summer of 2015 we visited Wales. We stayed in a bed-and-breakfast within walking distance of the tiny village of Llanwyrtyd Wells. It was wonderful. One of my favorite things was hanging out in the pubs, drinking beer and eating meat pies like a local. Wish I could retire there. Wales is tremendously beautiful. The people we met were very friendly.
    Llyn Clywedog, Powys, Wales Summer 2015.png
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    I now suspect that Genetic Homeland got those map locations from our R1b-BY168 Project, because both of the samples are positive for Y82270 and BY87004, as well as FT83585.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Maybe this map will prove helpful.

R1b-FT83585 Locations_4 April 2021.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Here's something interesting. The identifying SNP for our Stephens/Stevens group is FGC36974. FGC36974 is under FT83585. David Vance's SAPP Tool dates the TMRCA of FT83585 to about 1500 AD. Other surnames under FT83585 thus far are Jones, Phillips, and Samuel (all Welsh surnames). Genetic Homeland's map for FT83585 shows results in Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales, and in Erwood, Powys, Wales.

I wonder who those folks are.

Genetic Homeland doesn't have a map for FGC36974, so FT83585 is as close as we can currently get.

Here is the R1b-BY168 tree again so that you can see where FT83585 is in the scheme of things.

R1b-BY168 subclades.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevo View Post
    I noticed a new match this morning at AncestryDNA: a guy with the surname Stevens. It's just 10 cM across 1 segment, but it could be something, because my big breakthrough Stevens match (see the post above) began as a 9 cM match at AncestryDNA, which turned into a 31 cM match on Family Finder, a 110/111 Y-DNA match at FTDNA, and finally into a Big Y-700 match, not only on SNPs but also on 757/758 STRs. That's a match of ~99.9%!

In other words, I'm not going to ignore this one. I sent him a message asking him to consider Y-DNA testing with FTDNA, and I gave him my email address. We'll see if he's interested. Of course, Stevens is a fairly common name. He could be related to me in some other way.
    I heard back from that new AncestryDNA match with my surname. He is definitely interested but says he can't afford a Y-DNA test right now. He's going to wait for the next sale.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981

• Stevo
    replied
    I noticed a new match this morning at AncestryDNA: a guy with the surname Stevens. It's just 10 cM across 1 segment, but it could be something, because my big breakthrough Stevens match (see the post above) began as a 9 cM match at AncestryDNA, which turned into a 31 cM match on Family Finder, a 110/111 Y-DNA match at FTDNA, and finally into a Big Y-700 match, not only on SNPs but also on 757/758 STRs. That's a match of ~99.9%!

In other words, I'm not going to ignore this one. I sent him a message asking him to consider Y-DNA testing with FTDNA, and I gave him my email address. We'll see if he's interested. Of course, Stevens is a fairly common name. He could be related to me in some other way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X