No announcement yet.

Single Grave Corded Ware R1b-L51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added some river names to the map from the last post to help orient the reader.

Włodarczak's map with river names.jpg

Comment

So, if Catacombnaya was all R1b-Z2103 and I2a, as has been suggested by some, why is it neither of those Y-DNA haplogroups has turned up in Corded Ware in SE Poland?

Comment

HUGE news for Corded Ware descendants! Check out the new video from David Reich, especially at around 45:00 and after. Reich says he can show that Corded Ware was descended from Yamnaya, because now they are able to see distant cousin relationships among ancient DNA samples. It also looks like Corded Ware was the product of the mixing of Yamnaya males with some Globular Amphora females. Corded Ware was mostly Yamnaya, since the proportion of Yamnaya DNA in CWC ranges from about 60% - 80%, and the Y-DNA haplogroups are Yamnaya Y-DNA haplogroups.

Last edited by Stevo; 5 March 2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Still no news on the long-awaited Single Grave Corded Ware paper that is supposed to have R1b-L51 in it in a fairly big way. My hopes are still high that it will appear sometime soon.

Comment

Here's a map from page 7 of a paper by Louise Olerud, "The time-depth of Corded Ware burial landscapes: A comparative study of Single Grave and Battle Axe burial alignments in Denmark, The Netherlands and Sweden". I added the culture labels to make things easier. "Ocher Grave" is not a Corded Ware variant. "Ocher Grave" (Ochre Grave) is another name for Yamnaya.

Olerud's map shows you the location of the Single Grave Corded Ware culture.

Corded Ware_regional variants_Olerud_p. 7.jpg

Comment

Olerud's map does not list all of the regional Corded Ware variants. Here is a list of ten of them based on pages 469-472 of Janusz Czebreszuk's chapter, "Corded Ware from East to West", in the book, Ancient Europe 8000 BC- AD 1000, Bogucki and Crabtree, editors (2004).
              1. Single Grave Culture
              2. Protruding Foot Beaker Culture (really a subset of Single Grave)
              3. Corded Ware of the Alpine Pile Dwellings
              4. Central German Corded Ware
              5. Bohemian-Moravian Corded Ware
              6. Małopolska Corded Ware
              7. Battle-Axe Culture
              8. Rzucewo Culture
              9. Middle Dnieper Culture
              10. Fatyanovo Culture
              Czebreszuk includes the Złota culture in his list of Corded Ware variants, but that was controversial, since Złota is really different from Corded Ware and is a lot more like Funnel Beaker or Globular Amphora. Recent ancient DNA test results show that Złota culture people were unlike Corded Ware people and were like other Neolithic farmers.
              Last edited by Stevo; 13 March 2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Regarding the regional Corded Ware variants listed above, we have the following R1b results, not including the rumor of an upcoming paper featuring a lot of R1b-L51 in Single Grave.

Single Grave Culture -
                1. Gjerrild5, R1b-V1636, Gjerrild, Denmark, 2343-2055 BC (Egfjord 2021)
                Corded Ware of the Alpine Pile Dwellings -
                1. MX304, R1b-L52, Auvernier, Switzerland, 2866-2601 BC (Furtwängler 2020)
                2. Aesch25, R1b-L151, Aesch, Switzerland, 2864-2501 BC (Furtwängler 2020)
                3. MX310, R1b-M269, Burgäschisee, Switzerland, 2862-2581 BC (Furtwängler 2020)
                Central German Corded Ware -
                1. ALT_4, R1b-L52, Althausen, Germany, 2570-2458 BC (Mittnik 2019)
                Małopolska Corded Ware -
                1. pcw361, R1b-L52, Łubcze, Poland, 2459-2351 BC (Linderholm 2020)
                2. pcw362, R1b-L52, Łubcze, Poland, 2459-2351 BC (Linderholm 2020)
                3. pcw350, R1b-M269, Łubcze, Poland, 2458-2353 BC (Linderholm 2020)
                4. pcw040, R1b-L52, Święte, Jarosław, Poland, 2479-2349 BC (Linderholm 2020)
                5. pcw041, R1b-M269 (probably L52, since he is likely the father of pcw040 above), Święte, Jarosław, Poland, 2479-2349 BC (Linderholm 2020)
                6. pcw070, R1b-L51, Święte, Jarosław, Poland, 2461-2351 BC (Linderholm 2020)
                7. pcw110, R1b-L23, Szczytna, Jarosław, Poland, (no date) (Linderholm 2020)
                8. pcw160, R1b-M269, Mirocin, Poland, 2459-2352 BC (Linderholm 2020)
                Battle-Axe Culture -
                1. RISE98, R1b-U106, Lilla Beddinge, Sweden, 2275-2032 BC (Allentoft 2015)
                Unknown Regional Variant -
                1. RISE1, R1b-M343, Obłaczkowo, Poland, 2865-2578 BC (Allentoft 2015)
                Hope I didn't leave any out.
                Last edited by Stevo; 13 March 2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

If you are interested in discussing R1b-L51, Corded Ware, Yamnaya, and the Proto-Indo-Europeans on social media, we have an R1b-L51 Indo-Europeans group at MeWe:

https://mewe.com/join/r1b-l51indo-europeans

If you join, please post something.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                    If you are interested in discussing R1b-L51, Corded Ware, Yamnaya, and the Proto-Indo-Europeans on social media, we have an R1b-L51 Indo-Europeans group at MeWe:

https://mewe.com/join/r1b-l51indo-europeans

If you join, please post something.
                    I started the same group at Gab, if you prefer that, but thus far I'm the only member there.

https://gab.com/groups/38970

In case you're wondering, I don't do Facebook anymore.

Comment

We're still waiting for the rumored big Single Grave Corded Ware paper. Sigh . . .

Comment

We're still waiting for the rumored big Single Grave Corded Ware paper. Sigh . . .
                        Wish I had some news, but I don't. Some time ago I heard from the source of the rumor about this upcoming paper. He's reliable but will remain anonymous. He informed me of the details of at least one confirmed R1b-L51 Single Grave Corded Ware result. Looked pretty authoritative and authentic.

But when will we see the scientific paper?

Comment

Wish I had some news, but I don't. Some time ago I heard from the source of the rumor about this upcoming paper. He's reliable but will remain anonymous. He informed me of the details of at least one confirmed R1b-L51 Single Grave Corded Ware result. Looked pretty authoritative and authentic.

But when will we see the scientific paper?
                          Still waiting. Will I live to see the paper? Lord knows.

skeleton waiting.jpeg

Comment

skeleton waiting for Single Grave Corded Ware paper.jpgI keep checking the Eurogenes Blog each day for news, because that's where it will appear.
                            Last edited by Stevo; 25 May 2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

There's a new paper out from archaeologist Kristian Kristiansen on the Single Grave burials at Gjerrild in Denmark:

Genomic Steppe ancestry in skeletons from the Neolithic Single Grave Culture in Denmark.

I haven't finished reading it yet myself, but I like Kristiansen's work.

Abstract

The Gjerrild burial provides the largest and best-preserved assemblage of human skeletal material presently known from the Single Grave Culture (SGC) in Denmark. For generations it has been debated among archaeologists if the appearance of this archaeological complex represents a continuation of the previous Neolithic communities, or was facilitated by incoming migrants. We sampled and analysed five skeletons from the Gjerrild cist, buried over a period of c. 300 years, 2600/2500–2200 cal BCE. Despite poor DNA preservation, we managed to sequence the genome (>1X) of one individual and the partial genomes (0.007X and 0.02X) of another two individuals. Our genetic data document a female (Gjerrild 1) and two males (Gjerrild 5 + 8), harbouring typical Neolithic K2a and HV0 mtDNA haplogroups, but also a rare basal variant of the R1b1 Y-chromosomal haplogroup. Genome-wide analyses demonstrate that these people had a significant Yamnaya-derived (i.e. steppe) ancestry component and a close genetic resemblance to the Corded Ware (and related) groups that were present in large parts of Northern and Central Europe at the time. Assuming that the Gjerrild skeletons are genetically representative of the population of the SGC in broader terms, the transition from the local Neolithic Funnel Beaker Culture (TRB) to SGC is not characterized by demographic continuity. Rather, the emergence of SGC in Denmark was part of the Late Neolithic and Early Bronze Age population expansion that swept across the European continent in the 3rd millennium BCE, resulting in various degrees of genetic replacement and admixture processes with previous Neolithic populations.
                              Last edited by Stevo; 27 May 2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

One of the problems with the Single Grave culture in Denmark and the Netherlands is that the soil is so acidic that it just eats up skeletons. A ghostly outline of the skeleton is left, but usually there's nothing for DNA testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X