Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picts and DNA

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/dn...0251-237578271

"ScotlandDNA, an ancestry testing company, has recently discovered a DNA marker that strongly suggests that ten percent of Scotsmen are directly descended from the Picts, the Gaels’ fierce neighbors who battled the Romans.

The company’s chief scientist, Dr. Jim Wilson, found a Y chromosome marker among direct descendants of the Picts. The Scotsman.com reported he said this marker is the “first evidence that the heirs of the Picts are living among us.” The marker is labeled R1b-S530"

Can we test for that on FamilyTreeDNA?

S530 is known as L1335 at Family Tree DNA and is available for order from the Advanced SNPs menu at https://www.familytreedna.com/upgrad...V&category=SNP. L1335 is also included in the "R1b - L21v2 SNP Pack", if you have not ordered it or the Big Y test yet.

Best,

Vince T.

Comment

I've looked at this claim and it does not make much sense.
      By the SNP tracker, R-L1335 lived in South British Isle circa 2,000 BC.
      That's 2000 years before the Picts!!
      So, more work is needed.

Claims like this need to be fully vetted; peer review is necessary.
      Last edited by AndrewRoss; 9 November 2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Of course, ScotlandsDNA, sad to say, is a now defunct DNA testing company, more's the pity.

Anyway, not sure how much I would rely on the SNP Tracker, but DF13 arrived in Britain with the Beaker people around 2300 BC or thereabouts, and L1335 is downstream of Z39589, which is downstream of DF13.

It wouldn't surprise me if L1335 was common among the ancient Picts, given L1335's modern frequency in the old stomping grounds of the Picts, but, as far as I know, we don't have any ancient Pictish Y-DNA yet, so we don't know.

I'd bet money on the Picts belonging to some subclade of DF13, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
          Of course, ScotlandsDNA, sad to say, is a now defunct DNA testing company, more's the pity.

Anyway, not sure how much I would rely on the SNP Tracker, but DF13 arrived in Britain with the Beaker people around 2300 BC or thereabouts, and L1335 is downstream of Z39589, which is downstream of DF13.

It wouldn't surprise me if L1335 was common among the ancient Picts, given L1335's modern frequency in the old stomping grounds of the Picts, but, as far as I know, we don't have any ancient Pictish Y-DNA yet, so we don't know.

I'd bet money on the Picts belonging to some subclade of DF13, though.
          Archaeogenetics are severley neglected, and even if I understand why I despise the fact bitterly. I wish there were was more testing done on the ancient DNA of the Picts, Gaels, Britons, Gauls, etc..

Comment

I understand there is some Pictish DNA in the pipeline. We're just waiting for the papers to start appearing.

Comment

Working...
            X