L21/S145 About 24% in Val Gardena in the South Tyrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L21/S145 About 24% in Val Gardena in the South Tyrol

Here's something interesting that just caught my eye. In a new paper on the genetic structure of Alpine linguistic groups, the sample from the Gardena Valley (Val Gardena) in the South Tyrol in northern Italy was 23.5% L21+ (S145+). The sample size was 51, so that's nothing to sneeze at. These folks are Ladin speakers. Ladin is a Romance language, so it seems likely they are descendants of Romanized Celts.

Here's the link to the paper:

Demographic Histories, Isolation and Social Factors as Determinants of the Genetic Structure of Alpine Linguistic Groups

Interestingly, L21 is the most frequent y haplogroup in Val Gardena, followed by R1b-L51* (S167) at 17.6% and J2a-M410 at 15.7%. U152, generally the most common y haplogroup in the Alpine region, is relatively low in Val Gardena, at 8% (combining the paper's L2/S139 frequency to its U152/S28 frequency for Val Gardena).

Comment

Intersting- any downstream snps?

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
      Interestingly, L21 is the most frequent y haplogroup in Val Gardena, followed by R1b-L51* (S167) at 17.6% and J2a-M410 at 15.7%. U152, generally the most common y haplogroup in the Alpine region, is relatively low in Val Gardena, at 8% (combining the paper's L2/S139 frequency to its U152/S28 frequency for Val Gardena).
      As insignificant as they are, I have a cluster of matches at 12 markers who claim Italian ancestry (which would be consistent with the family rumors).

12-24-14-10 and DYS 449=32 as well as DYS 413= 21/21 is a cluster that I am trying to identify at this point. ARGH!!!

Comment

Working...
      X