Hello Members!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Members!

Welcome to the new I1b2 Y-Haplogroup Project Forum. Post any complaints, suggestions, critiques, or questions you may have. Have fun!
    Lewis

Hi Lewis
    I guess I am /will be an honorary member...
    my Grandfather's haplotype is I1b as tested by my male cousin.
    Our Faunt family emigrated from Ireland in 1869 to Beverly NJ.William Fant/Faunt is born in Fethard Tipperary in 1840 where his parents marry in 1835.We were always told that the Faunt's were Norman French and went to Ireland c 1200 and that seems to be the case.Who would have figured it!
    Fethard Tipperary is a walled town built by the Normans c 1206 and the other adjacent towns where the family is found have similar histories.

Comment

I have ordered the marker DXYS156 for my cousin Fran Faunt..it should illuminate his Y marker and also show something on his X marker..
      I already ordered it for my Sister & I.Fran is Batch 203 and Sister & I are Batch 202.

The few autosomal markers I have tested of Fran's show that he, I and my Sister share more than the 12.5% indicated for first cousins..more like 40-50 %.Down the road maybe all of us who are I1b1b will have X & atmarkers to share.

Comment

Autosomal test question?

How does one choose a specific autosomal test over another? Are there certain test that will tell more than others? Why not just order an entire panel?

Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by krimna
          How does one choose a specific autosomal test over another? Are there certain test that will tell more than others? Why not just order an entire panel?

Lewis
          Well I have the whole panel of both autosomal and X markers for my sister & myself.

I have just done a few markers as $$ allow for my cousin..besides his 12-37 upgrade on the Ymarkers.
          This DXYS156 is the same for both males and females..so can be informative for families.I think it was also used in the Thomas Jefferson case.
          I also did a possible Carrow cousin's markers (With his help)
          It will probably NOT be informative for our Carrow line as it is a ways back but is maybe the only way to link families that are separated by more than a ew generations in time - BUT since his Y chromsome does NOT recombine it is possible.

To do the whole X panel and autosomal markers is costly. I did my sisters DXS 10074,10075 and 10079.In a male those markers together are considered to be another "Haplotype" per Thomas Krahn..one that does NOT recombine and the mutation rate is very very slight.It SHOULD measure without change for about 2000 years( I think that is correct?)We, quite fortunately, were able to discern from that my Dad's Carrow haplotype.His Mother is the Carrow, and that is the name we/he carries.The X markers are called "Paternal Grandmother Test" as that is how they are inherited.

My Carrow "Cousin" would NOT have the Carrow haplotype..nor would anyone in a Y surname group.
          For that reason I did not test my Faunt first cousin's markers.I tested a few thought to be "informational".
          It would be great for other females of "old" lines like me..I am a Carrow and my family has been is US since 1643.It is my passion to try to nail down everything I can.Carrow apparently is an old R1b1c from Antrim & Scotland which will be woefully hard to trace.
          So I pick and choose the markers.

Comment

Cool! Very informative

I'm a little uneducated about the new autosomal craze. FTDNA never offered them for the longest time so, I never looked into it Is Omni Pop one of the tools used to read the results?
            Lewis

Comment

OMNIPOP is one of the tools used to read them and give results.So is ENSFI.
              I believe FTDBA thinks that both of those give somewhat "unreliable" results.

I did my autosomal markers at DNA-FP and supposedly I am Salish NA..
              now I cannot find that in my genealogy..I also have 2 population results that are equal in weight to Salish and that are :Estonia and Lodz Poland. Both may reflect my unknown grandfather. This is what Lucas at DNA-FP said about my sisters alleles which I shared with him:

"Both Salishan scores were substantially above the expected range for Europeans. However, European affiliations were also observed and were overall most likely. "

So discretion has to be used when "looking" at results.I take that to mean that I am not Salish but that my alleles,and Sister's(My ONLY sibling)"look" like Salish or some Siberian tribe that also "looks" Salish...reflecting again possibly the unknown grandfather or my known Swanson which is Swedish or Danish.

My "known" grandfather was Ed Faunt whose Dad, as I told you, my I1b1b, was born in Limerick but his father was from Tipperary.

FTDNA now has Thomas Krahn's databases which are here:
              http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/user

and they allow for comparing MtDNA and Y and also autosomal and X markers...

Comment

[QUOTE=Kathleen Carrow]We were always told that the Faunt's were Norman French and went to Ireland c 1200 and that seems to be the case.Who would have figured it!
                I found your family origin story most interesting Kathleen. I was wondering if you had some clues at to how to define the Normans via DNA, or is your origin story based on other evidence.
                The reason ask is that the Clan Chisholm origin myth or story has also a Norman origin, but there is nothing much to substantiate this, Of the Chisholm DNA group, with 5 results in so far, 2 have come up as I1b2, with the Sardinian peculiarities as defined by Ken nordvedt. (These will be DYS 19=17; DYS385a-b = 12,12; and 11-21 at YCAIIa-b).
                This does not mean that this strain of I1b2 represents the Clan Chisholm founding line, however it is a distinct possibility.
                The haplogroup is extremely rare in Britain, with nothing in Scotland except for the two Chisholm results. Chisholm Origin "myth" has a Norman knight from Tyndale marrying a Saxon heiress in Roxburghshire, thereby gaining a landed estate. If the I1b2 line does, after further results come through, prove to be the Chisholm line, I have some theories as to how a meditteranean signature found its way into the Norman population , who should be displaying more of a Viking signature, so I was wondering if you or Lewis, or anybody else had any particular theories. I also recall seeing Flaunt crop up as a potential match to me, nothing too close, in Y search.
                regards
                Robert Chisholm

Comment

[QUOTE=Robert Chisholm]
                  Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
                  We were always told that the Faunt's were Norman French and went to Ireland c 1200 and that seems to be the case.Who would have figured it!
                  I found your family origin story most interesting Kathleen. I was wondering if you had some clues at to how to define the Normans via DNA, or is your origin story based on other evidence.
                  The reason ask is that the Clan Chisholm origin myth or story has also a Norman origin, but there is nothing much to substantiate this, Of the Chisholm DNA group, with 5 results in so far, 2 have come up as I1b2, with the Sardinian peculiarities as defined by Ken nordvedt. (These will be DYS 19=17; DYS385a-b = 12,12; and 11-21 at YCAIIa-b).
                  This does not mean that this strain of I1b2 represents the Clan Chisholm founding line, however it is a distinct possibility.
                  The haplogroup is extremely rare in Britain, with nothing in Scotland except for the two Chisholm results. Chisholm Origin "myth" has a Norman knight from Tyndale marrying a Saxon heiress in Roxburghshire, thereby gaining a landed estate. If the I1b2 line does, after further results come through, prove to be the Chisholm line, I have some theories as to how a meditteranean signature found its way into the Norman population , who should be displaying more of a Viking signature, so I was wondering if you or Lewis, or anybody else had any particular theories. I also recall seeing Flaunt crop up as a potential match to me, nothing too close, in Y search.
                  regards
                  Robert Chisholm
                  Robert
                  Sorry not to get back to you..I have to go round Robins Hoods' barn to see this forum..as a female I am not really a member..
                  Our family myth is oral but I have been paying an Irish researcher to track the family and so far the family is in Norman towns like Fethard Tipperary back to 1300 and then they are spelling it "L'Enfant" and "Lenfant" sometimes "Laffan"..in addition to Faunt & Fant. Sir Walter Lenfant is Justiciar of Ireland 1299-1342
                  We ( my cousin ) match another of the same surname and we do not show a MRCA within 250 years or more..that is why I have been doing it..
                  I am now close to 50 years away from the "other" family..all still within a 15 mile radius..a triangle actually in the Tipperary South Riding and Limerick with one teensy spot in Cork where the family is found historically.

Comment

DXYS156 and I1b

And now for the reason I looked the forum up tonight..
                    I tested DXYS156 for my cousin, another Carrow from my surname group and hubby.

I do not know if this is significant but I would appreciate someone helping with this question..
                    The only interactive DB that I know of for ALL markers..X and mtmarkers and Y markers etc.. is at DNA-FP.

When I put my cousins in there..I noticed that of the 5 folks who have tested this marker who are I1b..2 of them do NOT have the most normal 12 repeats..one has an 11 and one has 13...
                    in fact they are the ONLY 11 and 13 Y STR in the DB which is, admittedly small...
                    Cousin's markers is a routine 8,12 . An 8 for an X marker is not REALLY common but 12 is surely EU in configuration..
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X