X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gtc
    replied
    Originally posted by rucksack View Post
    It is probably how he has his settings on his preferences page.
    Yes, because there are so many 'false positive' matches with 12 markers, many -- like me -- switch the 12 marker matches off.

FTDNA is/was supposedly implementing SmartMatching on Y-DNA in 2009, but so far that hasn't happened. When, and if, they implement that, we should see the end of most if not all of the false positives and people can (hopefully) switch on 12 marker matching again and expect it to mean something -- which, paradoxically, in my case will be zero matches.
    Last edited by gtc; 29 December 2009, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    It is probably how he has his settings on his preferences page.

Leave a comment:

• Giselle
    Guest replied
    12 marker matches

My Dad, James Gavin Embry, I1, has 25 exact matches, none of whom share our surname. The one person with the same surname, who we know is related does not show up as a match in the 12 marker series. He shows up as a 25 marker exact match and a 37 marker distance 2 marker. So... hum...

Leave a comment:

• Magnuson
    replied
    I only have nine (9) matches

Leave a comment:

• Linh_My
    replied
    I have one 11/12 match, two 24/25 matches, one 35/37 match and one 62/67 match.

ySearch K34ZT

Leave a comment:

• rivergirl
    replied
    Yeah, I asked FTDNA to check the null, which they did, they re ran the tests.
    (I think they do recheck nulls automatically before posting them initially)

I can understand the 385b difference quite easily, as a mutation has to happen somewhere.

I have a theory about my brothers null.
    My dad served on a naval ship just after Atomic testing in the 1950s.
    The ship was washed down with salt water only.
    I still feel that maybe some slight residual radiation may have affected his yDNA and caused the null.

Of course that is only a theory. I could get my other brothers and nephews to test to see what they have, but what is the point. Also the cost....
    Unfortunately my dad passed away years ago, so I cant test him.
    My dad and uncle were the only sons.

I'm much more interested in finding more family back up the line and having them test, to see if they have 385a = 10.
    Also just in finding some family back up the line woud be great. We seem to to be the only section of the family doing genealogy.
    Last edited by rivergirl; 26 January 2009, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    rivergirl,

Wow, I think that is so odd. I used to think that Stevo's 1 GD with one of his sons was odd, but your situation takes the cake.

Has anyone offered any reasonable explanation, or shown you other situations where a father and son / uncle and nephew are off like that?

Is is possible to have a null just be a mis-read? I know that the FTDNA pages speak of null values between father and son or something, but presumably your uncle and father still are a couple of sons from a common father, so the uncle nephew thing wouldn't make sense. Sorry if you done lots of explaining on that in the past, I didn't notice, and am amazed. I assume you've already had the discussion with FTDNA regarding comparing the two tests and seeing if they'll do a re-check.
    Last edited by rucksack; 25 January 2009, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rivergirl
    replied
    Originally posted by rucksack View Post
    rivergirl.

Is your brother TJVS8?

What is the best explanation of why he doesn't have a value for 385a?

He and I are a 17/17 match, depending on what his value for 385a is.

Also, he has TONS of 11/11 matches.

I can only assume that your brother is not the person in your y-search ID signature here?
    Hi Rucksack,

Yes he is TJVS8.
    His 385a is a very low 10. Every one else seems to have 12, 13 or 14.
    I left the value empty to see what sort of matches he gets without the 10, I must have forgotten to put it back in.
    When I put it back in the best I get is 10/12 match.
    I guess it depends on if I think the mutation at 385a from say 13 to 10 happened in one event.

My brother also has a null at 449.
    Our uncle who tested at SMGF also has 10 at 385a, but differs with 15 at 385b and 24 at 449.
    So we have 2 mismatches within 1.5 generations.

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
    My brother is still waiting on his first 12/12 match, or even a 11/12 would do.
    rivergirl.

Is your brother TJVS8?

What is the best explanation of why he doesn't have a value for 385a?

He and I are a 17/17 match, depending on what his value for 385a is.

Also, he has TONS of 11/11 matches.

I can only assume that your brother is not the person in your y-search ID signature here?
    Last edited by rucksack; 25 January 2009, 01:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rivergirl
    replied
    No matches yet.

Originally posted by Deirwha View Post
    I don't pay much attention to 12 marker matches except to the degree it helps me focus on commonality of geographic origin within anthropological time frames. I don't know how many. Last time I looked in August it was in the neighborhood of 86.
    My brother is still waiting on his first 12/12 match, or even a 11/12 would do.

Leave a comment:

• Beth Long
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnserrat View Post
    I have 737 exact 12 marker matches and 300 11/12 matches. Nice to see this thread come back to life.

John

p.s. Beth, do you need an assistant?
    Well, actually, what we need is more donations to pay for the testing. Anyone so inclined can contribute to the project general fund (we have about 25 surnames left to test):

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...s/default.aspx

Of course, if we got enough funding, then I WOULD need an assistant

Beth

Leave a comment:

• Johnserrat
    replied
    I have 737 exact 12 marker matches and 300 11/12 matches. Nice to see this thread come back to life.

John

p.s. Beth, do you need an assistant?

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    Nice work you do Beth.

As of this morning, here are the numbers that I get:

My own I1 12/12 matches = 722 that "allow" me to see them.

My maternal Grandfather's R1b1b2 L21+ {1st Finn} 12/12 matches = 1612.

A friends kit that I look after is R1b1b2 "South Irish modal", 12/12 = 88.

Leave a comment:

• Beth Long
    replied
    Eastern European Testing

Originally posted by Nagelfar View Post
    I think it's great that people who don't speak English and don't have computers are getting in on this genetic genealogy thing, btw ;-)
    Well, almost everyone is interested, once you explain it to them. But they don't come looking for me; I have to go to them (and pay for the test, of course, since in Romania the monthly pension is about $100).

Sometimes when I go to some little village I feel like one of those old travelling medicine shows...

By the way, I have a lot more I1 in the project than what I wrote back in 2005 (13 out of 145, to be exact).

Beth Long

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Neither do I but it is interesting to play around with the 12 marker match option.

If I use the 12 marker matches for geographic origin I find Britain as my main one besides 1 on Continental Europe and 4 in North America.

My 25 marker matches (mainly 23/25, as I don't have a 25/25 and my only 24/25 falls apart at 37 markers) are focused in Britain and some in Denmark.

But all of this could be the way over represented British Isles participants
    Last edited by spruithean; 23 January 2009, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X