Iberian DNA in myOrigins is incorrect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iberian DNA in myOrigins is incorrect

Much as I would love to be Basque, Portuguese or Spanish, I have no heritage from Iberia in recorded history. Yet, the new myOrigins suggests I possess 23% Iberian DNA while simultaneously omitting my extensive British heritage entirely. My only thought is that somehow FTDNA is taking ancient Celtic DNA from the British Isles and misattributing it to Celto-Iberian DNA many thousands of years removed. But this very ancient connection would not be relevant for 'ethnic' admixture as such. I recognize ethnic admixture is a work in progress, but my results have gone from imperfect to wildly implausible with each new version released. I also use Ancestry DNA and Gedmatch, and have witnessed refinement with the other services.

Do you have Spanish surnamed matches? Matches are more reliable than My Origins to give you a true picture of the ethnic groups you belong to. I'm Hispanic (61% Iberian and 8% Basque according to FTDNA), and I have a few matches that are 100% Irish! I have no Irish in my ethnic breakdown, the rest is Native American and a trace of Horn of Africa.
    Last edited by Tomero; 19 October 2022, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Banquo View Post
      Much as I would love to be Basque, Portuguese or Spanish, I have no heritage from Iberia in recorded history. Yet, the new myOrigins suggests I possess 23% Iberian DNA while simultaneously omitting my extensive British heritage entirely. My only thought is that somehow FTDNA is taking ancient Celtic DNA from the British Isles and misattributing it to Celto-Iberian DNA many thousands of years removed. But this very ancient connection would not be relevant for 'ethnic' admixture as such. I recognize ethnic admixture is a work in progress, but my results have gone from imperfect to wildly implausible with each new version released. I also use Ancestry DNA and Gedmatch, and have witnessed refinement with the other services.
      Yeah, as much as I love FTDNA, I find AncestryDNA's ethnicity estimates to be more precise. FTDNA is pretty much in the ballpark for me, with nothing wild like your Iberian result though.

I love FTDNA mainly for Y-DNA, where it is hands down the absolute best, and really the only game in town.

A lot of people really like 23andMe, but I don't much care for it really.

Comment

Working...
      X