I'm liking my myOrigins update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm liking my myOrigins update

I like the myOrigins update I just got a couple of days ago. Pretty accurate, it seems to me, and not far off what I have from a couple of other big-name DNA testing companies.

Here's a screenshot:

rms2_myOrigins_7 Mar 2021.jpg

Was the text at the bottom left (FTDNA myOrigins, 7 March 2020) added by you? I haven't seen such a date displayed in FTDNA's myOrigins results, as I've seen at Ancestry's DNA Origins (when it changes) or 23andMe's Ancestry Composition (visible at bottom of the list).

I've been getting several emails for various kits I manage, saying that their myOrigins has been updated, but compared with my saved notes from the September upgrade to myOrigins 3.0, there have been no changes in percentages. A couple of the reference population names have changed, but that's all I've seen. I'm glad that you and some others have seen changes.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      Was the text at the bottom left (FTDNA myOrigins, 7 March 2020) added by you? I haven't seen such a date displayed in FTDNA's myOrigins results, as I've seen at Ancestry's DNA Origins (when it changes) or 23andMe's Ancestry Composition (visible at bottom of the list).

I've been getting several emails for various kits I manage, saying that their myOrigins has been updated, but compared with my saved notes from the September upgrade to myOrigins 3.0, there have been no changes in percentages. A couple of the reference population names have changed, but that's all I've seen. I'm glad that you and some others have seen changes.
      Yeah, I put that there for my own sake.

Comment

I'm new to FamilyTreeDNA so I could be confused (or maybe I'm just stupid), but where did you get this map? My results show nothing like this. I basically got a bunch of gobbledy-gook that looks like someone fell asleep on their keyboard with basically no explanation of what any of it means. The only map I've seen was a migrations map that told me my ancestors went from Africa to the Middle East, to Europe. What a shocker! LoL

Honestly, I'm extremely disappointed with this service thus far. I was expecting more than just, "your predicted haplogroup is R-M269" and lists of information and matches that make no sense to me. I'm not a dumb person. I have a Bachelor's in Nursing and a Master's in History, but without getting a degree in genetics or investing many, many hours of research into what "SNPs" and "STRs" are,it seems I've basically spent money to be told my ancestors come from Europe.

Am I overlooking part of the site? Is what I've gotten so far just a preliminary report and more information is imminent? Do I need to spend more money to get "upgrades" in order to receive any useful information? I took an autosomal test with another big-name ancestry/DNA service and got much, much more information (I've been able to trace and [mostly] document my paternal lineage about 850 years to the Holy Roman Empire). Was I just expecting too much from this service?

Comment

Originally posted by JonSnoWight View Post
          I'm new to FamilyTreeDNA so I could be confused (or maybe I'm just stupid), but where did you get this map? My results show nothing like this. I basically got a bunch of gobbledy-gook that looks like someone fell asleep on their keyboard with basically no explanation of what any of it means. The only map I've seen was a migrations map that told me my ancestors went from Africa to the Middle East, to Europe. What a shocker! LoL

Honestly, I'm extremely disappointed with this service thus far. I was expecting more than just, "your predicted haplogroup is R-M269" and lists of information and matches that make no sense to me. I'm not a dumb person. I have a Bachelor's in Nursing and a Master's in History, but without getting a degree in genetics or investing many, many hours of research into what "SNPs" and "STRs" are,it seems I've basically spent money to be told my ancestors come from Europe.

Am I overlooking part of the site? Is what I've gotten so far just a preliminary report and more information is imminent? Do I need to spend more money to get "upgrades" in order to receive any useful information? I took an autosomal test with another big-name ancestry/DNA service and got much, much more information (I've been able to trace and [mostly] document my paternal lineage about 850 years to the Holy Roman Empire). Was I just expecting too much from this service?
          What test did you do, and why did you decide to do it? It sounds like you did a Y-DNA test at FTDNA. The map that Stevo had in his post about his myOrigins results is from his Family Finder test results.

If you haven't done the Family Finder test at FTDNA and you want autosomal results here, you can probably transfer your raw data file from the other company where you tested to FTDNA. Roberta Estes has a blog post, "DNA File Upload-Download and Transfer Instructions to and from DNA Testing Companies" which should cover the company you used. The transfer to FTDNA would be free, but to get most of the features you would need to pay $19. If you prefer to do the Family Finder test instead (on the DNA you already have at FTDNA from your Y-DNA test), you can order it by logging in to your account, and clicking on the "Add Ons & Upgrades" at the top right. There is a St. Patrick's day sale going on, and Family Finder is on sale for $59. Transferring and paying the $19 fee is always going to be cheaper than a sale or regular price.

Roberta Estes has many posts for learning about Y-DNA at her blog site, DNAeXplained, but these may help you initially:The FTDNA Learning Center has a page in the FTDNA User Guide section, with links for your Y-DNA Results Pages which also goes into detail about your results. There is also a Beginner's Guide page for Paternal Lineage Tests in the Learning Center.

Comment

What test did you do, and why did you decide to do it? It sounds like you did a Y-DNA test at FTDNA. The map that Stevo had in his post about his myOrigins results is from his Family Finder test results.

If you haven't done the Family Finder test at FTDNA and you want autosomal results here, you can probably transfer your raw data file from the other company where you tested to FTDNA. Roberta Estes has a blog post, "DNA File Upload-Download and Transfer Instructions to and from DNA Testing Companies" which should cover the company you used. The transfer to FTDNA would be free, but to get most of the features you would need to pay $19. If you prefer to do the Family Finder test instead (on the DNA you already have at FTDNA from your Y-DNA test), you can order it by logging in to your account, and clicking on the "Add Ons & Upgrades" at the top right. There is a St. Patrick's day sale going on, and Family Finder is on sale for $59. Transferring and paying the $19 fee is always going to be cheaper than a sale or regular price.

Roberta Estes has many posts for learning about Y-DNA at her blog site, DNAeXplained, but these may help you initially:The FTDNA Learning Center has a page in the FTDNA User Guide section, with links for your Y-DNA Results Pages which also goes into detail about your results. There is also a Beginner's Guide page for Paternal Lineage Tests in the Learning Center.

Thank you for that in-depth response. I'm sure the information would be helpful, but to be honest I'm so disappointed with FTDNA at this point, I may not even bother. I have already uploaded my autosomal DNA and am awaiting the results, but I didn't realize I would need to pay even more money for yet another feature the other sites include with the original purchase.

I did the Y-DNA test because I was hoping to find some information via matches that would help with tracing my line back further than what I had already done (as I mentioned before) and to get a better look at where my ancestors were grouped beyond the 300-500 or so years that most sites tell you. I certainly wasn't expecting to need to do hours of research into genetics and the nature of mutations or to be given a laughably generic "from Africa to Eastern Europe to Western Europe" migration history. As I said, maybe I was expecting too much, but I feel like I shouldn't have to get an Associate's degree online to be able to interpret the results of a DNA test. I thought that was part of what I was paying for. When I go to a restaurant, I expect to be given a fully-cooked and prepared meal-not a raw potato, a cow and a butcher's cleaver.

As you can tell, I'm pretty perturbed and bitter that I've wasted my money and disappointed that I spent the last few weeks looking forward to receiving results that told me absolutely nothing other than, "It looks like you're probably a white guy. If you'd like to know more, we're going to need more cash."

I do appreciate your efforts to answer my question, but I'm not going to spend the next few weekends trying to learn enough to do something that should have been done for me-especially since this test was more costly than the other that I took which gave me loads more useful information and explanation.
            Last edited by JonSnoWight; 12 March 2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Anyway, as I said at the start of this thread, I am pretty happy with this current update. I look forward to further updates in the future and more specificity.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                Anyway, as I said at the start of this thread, I am pretty happy with this current update. I look forward to further updates in the future and more specificity.
                I also hope to see some updates in some of the kits I manage, eventually. I'm glad you have had an update and are happy with it.

Comment

I also hope to see some updates in some of the kits I manage, eventually. I'm glad you have had an update and are happy with it.
                  Thanks.

I think in the future we will see some real geographic specificity in myOrigins, beyond the broad regions we have now.

Comment

Hey, that is cool! What app did you used and what made you decide to look for your origin?
                    I also want to know where my Ancestors came from, maybe I should wait for a sign like them appearing in my dreams? lol
                    Kidding aside, what relevance can it contribute in your present life knowing where your genes generally came from?

Comment

Working...
                    X