West and Central Europe ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West and Central Europe ancestry

My known ancestry is 87,5% polish ( with possibly german or jewish roots ) , 6,25% Romanian/Bulgarian and 6,25% Italian.
    My results are :
    73% east europe
    17% west europe
    9% asia minor
    I guess my Romanian and Bulgarian ancestry is in asia minor, but i do not have southeast europe, so probably my italian great great grandmother was northern Italian which might be included into west european category.
    But i have 17% west europe, so probably not only from my Italian side. My dad looks really west european, all people say it to him, but he only know that all his ancestors were polish and nothing else. I have only 2% northwest europe on 23andme and it is really weird. Is my west european ancestry on FTDNA partly wrong? Italian could be into this category but do not sure about polish, because other poles have just 100% east europe on ftdna.
    Attached Files

Any thoughts about results?

Comment

Here is some basic information about ethnicity estimates, otherwise called biogeographical or admixture analysis:
      • Realize that the companies which test DNA for genealogy: 1. want to make money, and 2. know that many people are very interested to see ethnicity results to find out what they say (confirm what they know, or don't know about their ancestry). So the ethnicity estimate part of autosomal testing is emphasized in advertising, thus getting more customers.
      • Ethnicity estimates are very accurate at the continental level. They are less accurate at sub-continental levels. See "Ethnicity is Just an Estimate – Yes, Really!"
      • Each of these DNA testing companies has its own group of reference populations, and its own algorithm to interpret how someone matches those populations. If you test at another company, or upload to GEDmatch to use their admixture tools, you will likely see different proportions and possibly a different mix of regions.
      • Each child of the same parents gets 50% of his or her DNA from each parent. But, it is not usually the same 50% for each child. If you have siblings, you may find that each one inherited a different mix of DNA from your parents, which means each may show more or less of a particular ethnicity than another sibling does.
      • All the DNA testing companies update their reference populations and algorithms from time to time, and will then update their customers' ethnicity estimates. In the case of FTDNA, it will be rolling out a new update to myOrigins from version 2.0 to 3.0 sometime in the near future. The update has been delayed to correct some problems.
      The FTDNA Learning Center has a page describing the Population Clusters for the current version of myOrigins (2.0). For the population cluster "East Europe," part of it says
      The East Europe cluster consists of an area encompassing present-day Latvia, south to Ukraine, Romania, and the northern part of Bulgaria, west along the eastern edge of the Balkan states to Poland and the eastern half of Germany.
      The description for Asia Minor shows
      The Asia Minor cluster encompasses present day Turkey and Armenia.
      So, if we go by the descriptions, it seems that the 73% East Europe that FTDNA gives for your estimate may include your Polish, Romanian, and Bulgarian ancestries. 9% Asia Minor could be from an ancestor who traveled from that region to elsewhere. But I am speculating here.

I say I am speculating, because it is better for you to research your ancestors using traditional genealogy, and then use your Family Finder match list to see which ancestries for your matches are prominent. Your matches should reflect your known ancestry better than an ethnicity estimate. See if many of your matches have either Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Italian, or Jewish ancestry.

Last edited by KATM; 23 June 2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Without looking up percentages, three different companies gave me three different results. As for FTDNA, which may be the most accurate, they give me a chunk of Iberian and a chunk of S.E. Europe. Ancestry does not give me either. And My Heritage threw in North African, but not Iberian or S.E. Europe. I think my Austrian-born maternal grandfather is what is confusing. I just don't know his deeper ancestry.

Comment

Working...
        X