Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-European ancestry?

Hi,

I have had DNA testing performed by two companies and ethnic ancestry estimates by several companies. Of course, the ethnic ancestry estimates are only very roughly comparable, and I think I have a pretty good general idea of why ethnic ancestry estimates differ from company to company. (There are several reasons.)

A lot of genealogy has been done on both sides of my family, and all of my known ancestors are derived from European sources.

FTDNA estimates my ethnic ancestry to be 96% European, with the remainder being divided up between Eastern Middle East, Western Middle East, Central Asia, and Ashkenazi Jewish.

Another company used the same data and estimated roughly similar amounts of European ancestry, with the remainder being primarily North Africa and a tiny bit of sub-saharan Africa.

Another website does a principal component analysis, and the first principle component from my DNA clusters most closely with Middle East.

Ancestry.com provides an estimate that my ethnic ancestry 100% European.

I am intrigued with the possibility of a little non-European ancestry. There were some vague rumors that we may have some Jewish ancestry in one branch of the family, but none of the paper documentation supports this theory going back many generations.

I am not sure I have a well-formed question about all of these results, but I am interested in what people may have to say about it, especially among those who may have had similar results, and also general thoughts about significantly divergent results from different companies.
Working...
X