Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Origins - are my results just guesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhonda Hatton
    replied
    Originally posted by Wahski View Post
    Just wondering, do they just guess the My Origins results as I cannot explain why my results are so different to my parents & cousins.
    I share 3,384 CMs with my parents, 1,864 CMs with my Aunt and 65 CMs with 2C1R.
    My Haplogroup is R-BY30612
    (ie descendant group of the major R-P25 (aka R-M343) lineage & is the most common in Central Europe, Spain, France, Portugal & British Isles.)

Eg I have Scandinavia 24% but no other family/relative has - how could this be?
    I'd expect a little variation, but not to this extent.
    Also being in group R-BY30612 I thought I might have at least some Iberian flavouring?

Me: (96% European - total doesn't even add up to 100%)
    British Isles 55%
    Scandinavia 24%
    West and Central Europe 17%
    Jewish Diaspora - Sephardic <2% (attributed to noise)

My mother:
    British Isles 91%
    East Europe 9%

My Father :
    British Isles 21%
    West and Central Europe 77%
    Finland < 2% (attributed to noise)

My Father's Sister :
    British Isles 26%
    Finland < 1% (attributed to noise)
    West and Central Europe 74%

2nd Cousin 1R (direct paternal line):
    British Isles 57%
    West and Central Europe 42%

Any ideas? I couldn't get any indication why even after reading
    https://learn.familytreedna.com/fami...s-methodology/
    Your haplogroup doesn't always dictate anything about your ethnic makeup, especially if there's an ancient migration at play, also remember that the Visigoths who were related to Scandinavians founded a kingdom in Spain in the Dark Ages. As for the Scandinavian, there was at least Finnish in both of your parents, so maybe the slip up is coming from there? I'm sorry to say that genetics are unpredictable and things happen with these tests that geneticists/ amateur genealogists can't explain, so it usually just gets blamed on a faulty reading. I know this though: my sister is 11 per cent Iberian, and none of the rest of the family is, not even her parents! But the mistake would probably be on their tests if there is one because as it turns out further research has indicated not only the existence of Spanish ancestry on my mother's side but also many autosomal matches with significant Spanish backgrounds. As for my dad, his haplogroup is I-M259, traditionally associated with Scandinavia and Eastern Europe ( though FTDNA falsely accredits northern France, which probably didn't see that haplogroup until after the Viking/ Visigothic invasions ) and his 37 marker matches are primarily either German, Scandinavian or Eastern European. My dad's results showed 98 per cent British Isles with trace results of Eastern European and Native American, so I guess it's funny what a mere 200 or so years in the United States can do to all that Scandinavian/ Germanic pedigree!

Leave a comment:

• John McCoy
    replied
    You are correct in thinking that you shouldn't have "ethnic" ancestry that your proven parents don't have. The degree to which this sort of inconsistency occurs in "ethnic origins" results (for any vendor, no matter what they call their own product) is an indication of the reliability of the algorithms. The main culprit appears to be in the selection of the "reference groups". A few years ago, Ancestry released a "white paper" on their methodology, including some discussion of their efforts to assess the reliability of their process for selecting "reference groups". Among other things, they reported that they had succeeded in reducing the occurrence of this sort of inconsistency in sets of child + 2 parents drawn from their database, but they did not report the actual numbers. Since then, there has been a lot of competition among the vendors to produce more and cleaner "reference groups", and, overall, I'm not noticing as many complaints of this type.

However, in my experience, "ethnic" ancestry results have little impact on most people's genealogical research. The paper trail is still the main area of concentration, followed by autosomal DNA matches that turn up unsuspected relatives or relationships. I know a few people whose "ethnic" ancestry results have been useful, but not very many. In the situation where there is unknown parentage, the results become more important, due to the lack of other evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Wahski
    started a topic My Origins - are my results just guesses?

My Origins - are my results just guesses?

Just wondering, do they just guess the My Origins results as I cannot explain why my results are so different to my parents & cousins.
    I share 3,384 CMs with my parents, 1,864 CMs with my Aunt and 65 CMs with 2C1R.
    My Haplogroup is R-BY30612
    (ie descendant group of the major R-P25 (aka R-M343) lineage & is the most common in Central Europe, Spain, France, Portugal & British Isles.)

Eg I have Scandinavia 24% but no other family/relative has - how could this be?
    I'd expect a little variation, but not to this extent.
    Also being in group R-BY30612 I thought I might have at least some Iberian flavouring?

Me: (96% European - total doesn't even add up to 100%)
    British Isles 55%
    Scandinavia 24%
    West and Central Europe 17%
    Jewish Diaspora - Sephardic <2% (attributed to noise)

My mother:
    British Isles 91%
    East Europe 9%

My Father :
    British Isles 21%
    West and Central Europe 77%

My Father's Sister :
    British Isles 26%
    Finland < 1% (attributed to noise)
    West and Central Europe 74%

2nd Cousin 1R (direct paternal line):