Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contradictory Ashkenazi results

Hello,

I’m a Turkish guy from Istanbul. I had some ashkenazi percentages from different companies which varies from %0 to %16. My question is how can ashkenazi results can vary that much? I have no any known jewish ancestor so I didn’t take it serious when I saw %4,5 Ashkenazi at myheritage at first, then I uploaded my raw data to gedmatch and it was %6,3 ashkenazi at jtest, then uploaded to dna.land and it was %16 ashkenazi at there. Finally I got %0 ashkenazi at FTDNA but surprisingly had %7 east european. As far as I read from the forums an ashkenazi gets thousands of matches which I don’t have. I have only 207 matches, some of them have ashkenazi surnames but not the majority. And when I sort according shared cm, highest is an ashkenazi with 69cM(longest 8cM). I know these are not very strong matches but still makes me wonder if these results are just noise or sign of a very distant ancestor?

Originally posted by Boreas View Post
    Hello,

I’m a Turkish guy from Istanbul. I had some ashkenazi percentages from different companies which varies from %0 to %16. My question is how can ashkenazi results can vary that much? I have no any known jewish ancestor so I didn’t take it serious when I saw %4,5 Ashkenazi at myheritage at first, then I uploaded my raw data to gedmatch and it was %6,3 ashkenazi at jtest, then uploaded to dna.land and it was %16 ashkenazi at there. Finally I got %0 ashkenazi at FTDNA but surprisingly had %7 east european. As far as I read from the forums an ashkenazi gets thousands of matches which I don’t have. I have only 207 matches, some of them have ashkenazi surnames but not the majority. And when I sort according shared cm, highest is an ashkenazi with 69cM(longest 8cM). I know these are not very strong matches but still makes me wonder if these results are just noise or sign of a very distant ancestor?
    Hi Boreas, are you on Gedmatch? I have a similar issue with someone who is middle eastern arab and has many matches with 100% ashkenazi jews on the 23andme. The segments are between 7 and 10 cM with 1100 - 1800 snp, on different chromosomes. As it is impossibile that he has ashkenazi ancestor , I suppose it could be the signature of a very distant common ancestry, or maybe this comes from non -ashkenazi jew ancestor (mizrachi is the more sensed, but I found no matches). Did you discover something in this direction? His JTest gives the following results. I suppose it is normal for middle eastern people. What do you think?
    EAST_MED 33.78
    MIDDLE_EASTERN 30.98
    ASHKENAZI 8.93
    EAST_AFRICAN 8.25
    WEST_MED 7.65
    WEST_ASIAN 7.55
    SOUTH_ASIAN 1.29

Comment

Working...
    X