Curious Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious Matches

A curious match: FTDNA gives me a curious match in that there looks to be no common ancestor. It is a combination of Finnish, Karelian and Russian. But My Origins gives me zero % of Finnish and Eastern Europe. A tree is shown with this match showing all this. Hmm...

Of course anyone's pedigree can be wrong! And, as you can readily see on this message forum, odd, unexpected, and sometimes completely illogical MyOrigins results can occur as well. In analyzing genetic evidence that is at the limits of resolution (all but really close matches fall into that category), it seems best to concentrate on clear patterns, and to place the pieces that don't fit to one side until something more definite appears.

Comment

How much DNA you do share?

Comment

I'll have to check on the DNA particulars, but it is the remote category. The thing is, most matches do not give their family trees. So this match caught my attention with his informative family tree. I have a R1a-L664 match in Finland, which is unusual. So one possibility might be Swedish DNA mixed in with one of his Finnish ancestors. Looking at an old Eurogenes K36 result (2015), it gives me 4.10% Eastern Europe and 1.13% Volga-Ural. So there is some room for speculating.

Comment

Regarding the above, I have a 5+ cm match on chromosome #22. At 1+ cm level, I have several tiny chunks on various chromosomes. It is in the 5th to remote category.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
            Regarding the above, I have a 5+ cm match on chromosome #22. At 1+ cm level, I have several tiny chunks on various chromosomes. It is in the 5th to remote category.
            Anything under 15cm which doesn't stand up to one form of phasing or another is something that needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and that's with any matching service.

An example in my case of an evidently valid match giving invalid indications would be a match which prompted getting my mother's autosomal transfer from Ancestry replaced with a FF test by FTDNA. The match had a family tree unlike many, but didn't have enough available on that tree as to verify a connection. Further, what they did, in the form of family surname and birth/death locations, screamed that they were on the other side of a 50+ year old brick wall various family members had been working on defeating for a very long time across several generations. (We contacted suspecting possible 4th cousins, but based on additional information they have, it looks more likely to be 5th or 6th, but with South Carolina records being what they are circa 1800, its nearly impossible to determine definitively. That said, they knew of my ancestors family and said they were cousins rather than siblings to their ancestral family of the relevant time)

They were showing as a 36cm match for me(16cm for the longest single block), but didn't match my mother's Ancestry test at all. We did find the matches father on Ancestry, he didn't match me, but matched my mother at 9.4cm. After getting my mother's DNA Transfer results deleted and retested on FF, we wound up with a 27cm match against my mother with a 12cm block as the longest.

My father didn't send in his own FTDNA test kit until a few weeks ago, so we don't have a FTDNA atDNA test from his end to confirm/deny anything yet, but we have no reason to believe he had relatives in that area in a timeframe to explain the "extra" result I saw. But we're pretty sure what we're seeing is the matching algorithm "being greedy" and my 16cm segment is my mother's 12cm matching segment plus 4cms of a hybrid blend of DNA from both of my parents, the other +5cm is likely more hybridization of DNA between my parents (via me) managing to "extend" certain segment lengths as well.
            Last edited by bartarl260; 19th December 2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

5 cM segments have only a 14% chance of being identical by descent when both sides are phased and 6 cM only a 26% chance. I'm guessing the segment isn't 7+ cM or you would have specified that. So there is a very good chance this match simply isn't identical by descent.

Comment

I have a new match from Russia. I mean, I'm not supposed to have matches there, according to FTDNA and Ancestry mapping of ancestry. This person has a Russian email address. She is 35/8 cm. Maybe it is ancient DNA from when my R1a-L664 ancestors moved west out of what is now Russia/Ukraine. Anyway, I am not going to pursue it further.

Comment

I have a new match from Russia. I mean, I'm not supposed to have matches there, according to FTDNA and Ancestry mapping of ancestry. This person has a Russian email address. She is 35/8 cm. Maybe it is ancient DNA from when my R1a-L664 ancestors moved west out of what is now Russia/Ukraine. Anyway, I am not going to pursue it further.
                  I found another woman with a Slavic-type name who also has 8cm, both are on chromosome #12. And they both are pictured at the same location on that chromosome. So it looks like they are related to each other, and somehow to me. The second person has a Yahoo email address, which may indicate a U.S A. location.

Comment

Was the location on #12 somewhere around 20-22 Mbp?

Comment

Need to be careful on wholesale discards. I have a couple matches that show on FTDNA as being from Japan. I have no Asian ancestors, and a significant portion of the ancestry for those matches isn't Asian either(as we found how they connect). Turns out to be a father/son pair who immigrated to Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                        Was the location on #12 somewhere around 20-22 Mbp?
                        I don't know much about the technical stuff. On the diagram or picture showing chromosome #12, the double match is shown on the far right hand side.

The two names, both females, look rather not mainstream Russian. One name starts with "Shev...", which might be Georgian/Caucasus, or?. The second female surname looks kind of off too. There is another match to a woman in the Ukraine but I lost track of it. She is buried somewhere in my long list of matches. The point I want to make about this is that my maternal grandfather was born in Austria. And I know nothing about his lineages there. All I have is the names of his parents, or rather the parents of his brother that are on his death certificate. I assume they both had the same father and mother. I was informed several years ago that the Catholic church in Steyr, Austria would have family information. I'll have to leave that to some future investigator. Steyr, Austria was and probably still is a metallurgical center (steel, guns, etc). So workers would have likely come from far and wide during the Hapsburg empire years.
                        Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 2nd January 2019, 03:52 AM.

Comment

I don't know much about the technical stuff. On the diagram or picture showing chromosome #12, the double match is shown on the far right hand side.
                          Thanks. That does not sound like the area that I am talking about.

Hopefully you can get someone to work your lead in Austria before too long.

Comment

I just got another Slavic match today. This one lives in the Ukraine, 20/8 cm.

Comment

Working...
                            X