Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughter from parents of mixed backgrounds, 0% European result, Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter from parents of mixed backgrounds, 0% European result, Help!

I think I already posted this in the wrong thread

Dear all,

Since receiving my autosomal dna results (family finder) I had a hard time understanding it given my personal circumstances.

I am the only child of a Moroccan father and Romanian mother. The results on My Origins were as follows:
    Middle Eastern 88% (North African 80%, 8% East Middle East)
    African 11% (West Africa 7%, East Central Africa 4%)
    Trace results <2 for West Middle East
    All other areas/regions of the world, including Europe were at 0%.

I cannot understand how can that be. Those results match my father origins yes, but seem to completely exclude what I thought were my European origins given to me by my mother, who is Romanian with some ancestry from Germany and Serbia.

How can I interpret this? Is it possible for a child with a European mother to show a 0% European ethnicity? I have consulted the raw data, my matches and read a lot on the topic. I accept that one origin may appear prevalent, ans the genetics are complex and subject to recombination, but I cannot come to terms with the 0% European with a parent of that origin, especially when the results match very well my dad’s ethnicity.

I would need some help are those results were quite shocking for me. Is there any chances this could be accurate? If so, is such a result possible in my circumstances. Because I am starting to have doubts regarding whether my mother is my biological one to this point.

I hope someone can help me

Many thanks

Originally posted by rbgp View Post
    I think I already posted this in the wrong thread

Dear all,

Since receiving my autosomal dna results (family finder) I had a hard time understanding it given my personal circumstances.

I am the only child of a Moroccan father and Romanian mother. The results on My Origins were as follows:
    Middle Eastern 88% (North African 80%, 8% East Middle East)
    African 11% (West Africa 7%, East Central Africa 4%)
    Trace results <2 for West Middle East
    All other areas/regions of the world, including Europe were at 0%.

I cannot understand how can that be. Those results match my father origins yes, but seem to completely exclude what I thought were my European origins given to me by my mother, who is Romanian with some ancestry from Germany and Serbia.

How can I interpret this? Is it possible for a child with a European mother to show a 0% European ethnicity? I have consulted the raw data, my matches and read a lot on the topic. I accept that one origin may appear prevalent, ans the genetics are complex and subject to recombination, but I cannot come to terms with the 0% European with a parent of that origin, especially when the results match very well my dad’s ethnicity.

I would need some help are those results were quite shocking for me. Is there any chances this could be accurate? If so, is such a result possible in my circumstances. Because I am starting to have doubts regarding whether my mother is my biological one to this point.

I hope someone can help me

Many thanks
    Well before you doubt that she is your mother- unless you have other suspicions. Do you look like her? Is she fairer than your father? What if she is unaware of her ancestry. Maybe she is adopted and doesn’t know it. Or her father or mother lied to her. It sounds like she is also Arabic of some kind (Semitic) or rather your birth mother until proven. Maybe also Moroccan. But in answer to your question, family finder is not an accurate predictor of ethnicity, however, I doubt it would show 0% European if 50% of the dna was such. Can you ask your mother or is that too sensitive? How about your father or an Aunt or Uncle?

Comment

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
      Well before you doubt that she is your mother- unless you have other suspicions. Do you look like her? Is she fairer than your father? What if she is unaware of her ancestry. Maybe she is adopted and doesn’t know it. Or her father or mother lied to her. It sounds like she is also Arabic of some kind (Semitic) or rather your birth mother until proven. Maybe also Moroccan. But in answer to your question, family finder is not an accurate predictor of ethnicity, however, I doubt it would show 0% European if 50% of the dna was such. Can you ask your mother or is that too sensitive? How about your father or an Aunt or Uncle?
      Thank you for your reply

My mother is Romanian and we have documents in relation to her ancestry. On my maternal line, over generations, they all are a mix of romanian, serbian, german and maybe obviously some other bits there and there. She looks very much like my grandparents too so I do not think there is any possibility for her to be adopted. She is an only child so no aunt or uncles, plus, when I discussed those results with her, she simply said it’s all lies, however I consider it cannot be, there is obviously some level of truth in those findings.

My mother is blond, blue eyes, very fair, like her parents.
      My dad is very dark and reflects our african ancestry.
      They were born in different countries and cannot be related, so I doubt she has any moroccan ancestry.
      As of myself, I’m fair skinwise, like my mother. I do not look like neither of them in an obvious manner I’d say a mix.

My Ancient Origins show a 30% non-european and the rest European with over 60% on the farmer category.
      My matches are for half of them, as they claim it, of majority or 100% european but none are romanian or eastern european except a Austrian lady. Surprisingly some were English and Irish and share enough dna to be considered a false match.

It all seems very odd to me and hard to understand.

I am however still waiting for my mtDNA results which should arrive soon. Can those results be considered more accurate? In comparison to the autosomal test?

Thank you

Comment

Have you tried uploading your raw data to GEDmatch? They have various calculators there that might provide different estimates for ethnicity, and they might get a little more accurate than FamilyFinder for ethnicity.

Keep an eye on your match list to people in FTDNA's database. It may be that not enough Romanians have submitted DNA or not enough Romanians from your mother's specific lineages have submitted DNA.

Comment

Yes your Mtdna is accurate and will tell you your mother’s ancestry- and haplogroup. But it will be from hundreds to thousands of years ago so not recent. But definitive. My maternal grandfather’s dna is Balkan and while my Uncle has Y-DNA matches w Balkan names none of us really has any family finder matches of Balkan ancestry or names- including some Romanian (although not technically Balkan they have some Caucasus (sp?)ancestry as well) so I don’t think many Romanians have tested. Wait for the Mtdna results- did you test yourself or your mother or both?

Comment

Working...
          X