What about Russia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Russia?

Hello to everyone in my first FTDNA community post.

My questions is regarded to MyOrigins base, which shows absolute advantage in Eastern European ancestors. Does this region includes Russia, Ukraine and Belarus as well as part of the Eastern Europe or doesn't:
    1) because of the separate region existing?
    2) because of the closed system of archives, which doesn't cover this states?

My problem is that my ancestors with the surname I am looking for just appear at the period from the 1900 till 1905 at the territory of Russia, and there is no another sources who was the first in this line and whence they came from (because surname is not typical Russian)?

Will be glad if someone can help me in the first steps of orientating with FTDNA.

Yes. Slavic people from Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine usually score very high amounts of the "East Europe" reference in MyOrigins 2.0, occasionally supplemented with small scores for "Siberia" or some other element, depending on the person.

But really what you need to focus on will be what kinds of close cousin matches you get - looking at what they say about their ancestry, and contacting them to ask for more details. If they are likely to not be typical ethnic-Russian people perhaps you will be matching members of some ethnic minority group(s).

Comment

Thank you for your message,

Do you know if relationship in 3-5th kinship is still strong to look for an European roots of the Family?

Sincerely

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
      Yes. Slavic people from Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine usually score very high amounts of the "East Europe" reference in MyOrigins 2.0, occasionally supplemented with small scores for "Siberia" or some other element, depending on the person.

But really what you need to focus on will be what kinds of close cousin matches you get - looking at what they say about their ancestry, and contacting them to ask for more details. If they are likely to not be typical ethnic-Russian people perhaps you will be matching members of some ethnic minority group(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Ev_Ro View Post
        Do you know if relationship in 3-5th kinship is still strong to look for an European roots of the Family?
        Matching "3rd" or "5th" cousins in the database sometimes are genuine 3rd or 5th cousins, but other times more distant than the estimated relationships.

Comment

Working...
        X