Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admixture distance question - Possible Estonian and Polish ancestor/s?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admixture distance question - Possible Estonian and Polish ancestor/s?

I have been trying to figure out if I besides my known ancestry have both Estonian and Polish ancestry. Both Estonian and Polish appears in almost all tools with a distance of > 5. Along with these results I have more >25 Polish matches on Chromosome 2 and then less on some other Chromosomes. My known ancestry is mostly Finnish, Swedish, Russian and from Aland and through church records I have been able to find some German surnames (north germans) dating back to 18th century and further back.

Should one consider distances above 7 or higher for possible ancestry?

Thanks,

Eurogenes K13

# Population Percent
    1 Baltic 47.2
    2 North_Atlantic 32.37
    3 Siberian 6.79
    4 West_Med 4.69
    5 West_Asian 3.32
    6 Red_Sea 1.88
    7 Oceanian 0.97
    8 Amerindian 0.93
    9 Northeast_African 0.65
    10 South_Asian 0.63
    11 East_Med 0.57

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
    1 Finnish 2.59
    2 East_Finnish 3.85
    3 Estonian 5.33
    4 Southwest_Finnish 7.19
    5 Kargopol_Russian 7.81
    6 Belorussian 8.09
    7 Estonian_Polish 8.6
    8 Russian_Smolensk 8.91
    9 Polish 9.41
    10 Lithuanian 9.49
    11 Southwest_Russian 9.98
    12 Ukrainian_Belgorod 10.94
    13 South_Polish 11.31
    14 Erzya 11.36
    15 Ukrainian 11.43
    16 Ukrainian_Lviv 11.98
    17 La_Brana-1 14.69
    18 North_Swedish 15.04
    19 Croatian 17.72
    20 East_German 18.85

Impossible to say. Thus you cannot exclude Estonian or Polish ancestry. I tend to recommend additionally doing mtDNA and Y DNA testing, since these might (only might) lead you to additional cousins.
    Due to the way autosomal DNA is inherited, some of your ancestors from 200 years ago could have left significantly less trace in your DNA than the amount predicted by simple arithmetic.

Then you have to take into account a variety of other factors. Below you would find a condensed version of those that just came to my mind.

Populations in that region (Poland to Estonia) are more of the continuum, than divided by abrupt differences like for example Basks and Sardinians from their neighbours.

If testing subpopulations in Poland (England, Russia, etc. - in any sufficiently large established country), it could be seen that their DNA is close, but it is not the same, so people tend to assume that DNA can pinpoint the exact area. It cannot. Families moved (migrated) for a variety of reasons or, as you are probably already aware, were moved in Russia (and later in the Soviet Union too).

Looking at your already known ancestry, I am assuming that you learned by now that the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth essentially bordered the area of modern Estonia for around 200 years, then for the next 150 years Estonia and most of Polish territories were in Russia.

Before 1710, have any Polish soldiers (after their term in the Swedish army was over) moved to Sweden or Swedes moved back to Sweden with Polish wives? I know that quite a few Polish politicians of that area went to an exile in Sweden.

Good luck - Mr. W.

P.S.
    I am on purpose not discussing above whether your known Russian ancestry could be in fact partially Polish - yes, it can. And you most likely know much more than I do about any possible links between the Estonian population and Finnish and Swedish ones.

P.P.S.
    It is interesting to see that your German component is so distant. At least that gives you a clue about your potential Estonian and Polish connections: they are not likely to come through a misinterpretation of German ancestry.
    Last edited by dna; 13th April 2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Isn't 'Mixed Mode Population Share' more important to look at? If i'm not wrong those distances is just what we score on components(according to results in Spreadsheet).

Comment

you really shouldn't try to use those Oracles tools to claim you have ancestry from such and so country

at best, it's fairly likely that you actually have some ancestry from what it puts as #1 for single population mode and then, providing your ancestry is not a mish-mash from all over, but has a lot coming from just one place

Comment

Thank you dna for your explanation.

Comment

Working...
          X