Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Ashkenazi/European Jewish Heritage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Ashkenazi/European Jewish Heritage?

Hi

I recently got my DNA results back from Ancestry.com.

Most of it confirmed what I already knew, but my results came back as 10% European Jewish, with West Asian/Middle Eastern DNA as well.

This was a surprise for me, though a pleasant one, as I had no prior knowledge of possible Jewish ancestry.

I ran the results through MyOrigins, which gives me 3% Ashkenazi, and GedMatch, which had me at a bit over 5% Ashkenazi.

I'm a bit confused at the discrepancy between results and wondering how likely it is I do actually have Askenazi ancestry? Are these numbers high enough to be significant or are they more likely to be noise?

I am also of Italian and Eastern European descent, if that's relevant.

Thanks for any help you can give
    Last edited by Aurelia; 19th September 2017, 08:57 PM.

Originally posted by Aurelia View Post
    I recently got my DNA results back from Ancestry.com. [...] 10% European Jewish, [...]

I ran the results through MyOrigins, which gives me 3% Ashkenazi, [...]

I'm [...] wondering how likely it is I do actually have Askenazi ancestry? Are these numbers high enough to be significant or are they more likely to be noise?

I am also of Italian and Eastern European descent, if that's relevant.
    That is very possible. Genuine Jewish DNA has been found in such peoples as Sicilians, Ukrainians, Poles, Lithuanians, and Russians - unbeknownst to them before they took the test.

The next step is to study your cousin matches to determine if some of them are 100% Jewish in their recent ancestry and if the shared segments have Mediterranean or Middle Eastern characteristics. That will help determine whether or not the calculators are confusing your Italian ancestry for Jewish ancestry (sometimes that happens).

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
      The next step is to study your cousin matches to determine if some of them are 100% Jewish in their recent ancestry and if the shared segments have Mediterranean or Middle Eastern characteristics.
      Do Middle Eastern segments include Armenian and Caucasian too?(for example on K36 Armenian,North and West Caucasian)
      Last edited by musayev; 28th September 2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

If there are < 2 % Ashkenazi on My Origins, that is not significant?

Comment

Originally posted by musayev View Post
          Do Middle Eastern segments include Armenian and Caucasian too?(for example on K36 Armenian,North and West Caucasian)
          In EUtest, many South Caucasian segments presumably code as WEST_ASIAN. But of course not all of them.

MIDDLE_EASTERN is most commonly Arabian.
          EAST_MED is most commonly Levantine.

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into it, according to My Origins I have 6% but I don't have Jewish ancestry.

If you look at the Ashkenazi cluster it overlaps Italians and Greeks, from what I've read Ashkenazi have an Eastern Mediterranean element in their ancestry.

Personally, I think mine is coming from the Romans, makes more sense in terms of where I'm from, the Easy Med element is being picked up.

Comment

Originally posted by EastAnglian View Post
              I wouldn't read too much into it, according to My Origins I have 6% but I don't have Jewish ancestry.

If you look at the Ashkenazi cluster it overlaps Italians and Greeks, from what I've read Ashkenazi have an Eastern Mediterranean element in their ancestry.

Personally, I think mine is coming from the Romans, makes more sense in terms of where I'm from, the Easy Med element is being picked up.
              Unfortunately, that doesn't explain how a lot of Southern Italians & Sicilians who had Jewish in MOv1 lost it in MOv2, even though they had been reassured that it was real. I'm relying more now on matches and shared matches to verify Jewish ancestry.

Comment

Not to mention that a lot of Southern Italians & Sicilians lost all their MOv1 admixture components except for the Southern European.

Comment

Indeed. I am beginning to think that my origins 2.0 is probably the least accurate of the three companies. It seems to flail wildly from one cluster to another for intra-continental populations for siblings, and seems even sometimes to have trouble distinguishing Italian and Ashkenazi ancestry. Matches must be the way to go.

Comment

As Michelstaedter said, FTDNA don't handle overlapping clusters very well, they tend to erroneously allocate you to certain ethnic groups.

It's best to be cautious with FTDNA, I ran mine through Gedmatch, I have that as a comparison and I find it more accurate.

It would be best to cross reference your data.

Comment

Working...
                    X