British Isles in Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Isles in Mexico

I live in Mexico City, and all of my ancestors have lived in central Mexico for centuries.

I have plausible explanations for all of the ethnicities shown in MYOrigins (I get Iberian, East Europe, North and Central America, West Middle East, North Africa, Ashkenazi, West Africa) but the one that I'm startled about is British Isles since I get a 15% of it!

My maternal grandma tested with FTDNA also and she got 3% British Isles so I guess the high % I get didn't come from her.

I have also confirmed a few branches of my paternal grandma's ancestors through DNA testing of distant cousins, so I know the research is correct in those branches without non-reported adoptions or illegitimate children.

I have a few theories for this:

-Maybe Celtic peoples from northern Spain are very similar genetically to Celtic people from Britain.

-Maybe Germanic people from northern Spain (Visigoths) are very similar to Germanic people in Britain (Anglo-Saxons).

-Maybe some of my ancestors where people from the British Isles that ended up in Spain in the Middle ages.

-Maybe I had a more recent British ancestor from one of the lines that I haven't researched that much yet.

Also, it turns out that there are a few people from Mexico City or central Mexico who also get this unusually high % of British Isles that doesn't seem to match with their genealogy, so I'm not the only one with this situation.

I'm waiting for some test results for some family members, and I'm planning on testing some more of them in the future and see if there is a trend of high %es of B.I in a specific branch.

Another thing that I find curious: My grandma gets 6% Sephardic and has lots of matches from Northern Mexicans and Brazilians with documented Sephardic ancestry. And I get also a 6% but Ashkenazi instead of Sephardic. I think this was an error, and it should be Sephardic also.

This is so interesting!

Quite a few Iberians are getting large amounts of British Isles with this version of MyOrigins one of my daughters gets 37% the other 23%. Strangely neither my wife nor I have British Isles in our results my wife Has a high percentage of Western & Central Europe 52% and I have 7% Western & Central Europe. We are of Portuguese ancestry. We have no recorded British ancestry.

I would not take your British Isles ancestry literally without any other evidence to corroborate it.

Comment

the new my origins has shown itself suspect at best for most people using it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArenasNefi13 View Post
        Another thing that I find curious: My grandma gets 6% Sephardic and has lots of matches from Northern Mexicans and Brazilians with documented Sephardic ancestry.
        But does she match any Jews on those same segments?

I have found examples of Mexican-Brazilian matches that seem to come from shared Catholic Iberian ancestors rather than Jewish ones. A shared ancestor across Latino populations is only sometimes Jewish.

The other day I found a triangulating segment shared by a Brazilian with a cluster of Northeast Mexicans. Eurogenes' Jtest consistently paints their shared segment ethnicities as a combination of North-Central European + Middle Eastern, but there are no Jews sharing the segment with them. The Brazilian member of the segment shows a large double-digit Sephardi estimate in MyOrigins 2.0 but no percentage for Ashkenazi. MyOrigins 2.0 has a known issue where general Mediterranean/Mideastern DNA sometimes gets classified as Sephardi because of very ancient shared non-Jewish (pre-Israel) ancestors between Sephardim and Mideasterners. I could not locate valid Jewish matches for the Brazilian in GEDmatch.

And I get also a 6% but Ashkenazi instead of Sephardic. I think this was an error, and it should be Sephardic also.
        Sephardic DNA is also found among the Ashkenazic population, so after MyOrigins (like 23andMe and AncestryDNA) gathered Ashkenazic people to create a reference sample, the computer algorithm frequently thinks the characteristic DNA strands originated with Ashkenazim, and erroneously identifies it that way, even though it started with Sephardic ancestors.

Some (not all) "full" Sephardic Jews score multiple Ashkenazi percentage points as well.

I assume you have some Jewish matches, some of whom are Ashkenazim.

Comment

khazaria: We do have quite a few Ashkenazi matches with ancestry from Eastern Europe an no knowledge of Spanish heritage whatsoever (I emailed and asked many of them).

I haven't checked yet if we match people in Latin America in those same segments.

Comment

While the results on here are lower; my dad's family is of Mexican descent and I noticed on Ancestry and 23andMe; my matches on that side get a lot of Irish, Great Britain/British Isles.

I am about 40% Northern Europe with most of it being from Great Britain on 23andMe, gotten 25% Irish and 15% Great Britain on Ancestry and about 17% on here.Some of the results also comes from my mother's side.

My Southern European/Iberian was lower than I though it would be on other tests. 32% Southern European (mostly Iberian) on 23andme. 16% Italian and 7% Iberian on Ancestry (that is wrong and I was warned that they often give a lot of Italian to people of Spanish and Portuguese Ancestry. I think 23andme is more accurate). And none on here but Southeast Europe at 16%? This is the least accurate test.

Comment

Look, WCE is close to BI. Maybe some celtic shared DNA. thats could be the explanation. The same occurs to iberic people who have in their DNA composition some BI. But, Have you or your wife any ancestry different then iberic one?

Originally posted by AFH View Post
              Quite a few Iberians are getting large amounts of British Isles with this version of MyOrigins one of my daughters gets 37% the other 23%. Strangely neither my wife nor I have British Isles in our results my wife Has a high percentage of Western & Central Europe 52% and I have 7% Western & Central Europe. We are of Portuguese ancestry. We have no recorded British ancestry.

I would not take your British Isles ancestry literally without any other evidence to corroborate it.

Comment

It's possible that the new algorithm is incorrect, but Mexicans are basically the descendants of Native Americans and Europeans.

Comment

I live in Mexico City, and all of my ancestors have lived in central Mexico for centuries.

I have plausible explanations for all of the ethnicities shown in MYOrigins (I get Iberian, East Europe, North and Central America, West Middle East, North Africa, Ashkenazi, West Africa) but the one that I'm startled about is British Isles since I get a 15% of it!

My maternal grandma tested with FTDNA also and she got 3% British Isles so I guess the high % I get didn't come from her.

I have also confirmed a few branches of my paternal grandma's ancestors through DNA testing of distant cousins, so I know the research is correct in those branches without non-reported adoptions or illegitimate children.

I have a few theories for this:

-Maybe Celtic peoples from northern Spain are very similar genetically to Celtic people from Britain.

-Maybe Germanic people from northern Spain (Visigoths) are very similar to Germanic people in Britain (Anglo-Saxons).

-Maybe some of my ancestors where people from the British Isles that ended up in Spain in the Middle ages.

-Maybe I had a more recent British ancestor from one of the lines that I haven't researched that much yet.

Also, it turns out that there are a few people from Mexico City or central Mexico who also get this unusually high % of British Isles that doesn't seem to match with their genealogy, so I'm not the only one with this situation.

I'm waiting for some test results for some family members, and I'm planning on testing some more of them in the future and see if there is a trend of high %es of B.I in a specific branch.

Another thing that I find curious: My grandma gets 6% Sephardic and has lots of matches from Northern Mexicans and Brazilians with documented Sephardic ancestry. And I get also a 6% but Ashkenazi instead of Sephardic. I think this was an error, and it should be Sephardic also.

This is so interesting!
                  My parents are from a little town in northeast Mexico called General Treviño in Nuevo León. I have traced my genealogy back to 1600s and all 14 to 16 generations were supposed to be sepharadic Jews, mestizos or Spanish people. I got them because all my family come from few surnames that corresponds to the first settlers in Nuevo Reino De Leon.

But recently, I got my myOrigin results from Family Tree DNA and I got:

New World 17%
                  North and Central America 17%
                  South America < 1%

Middle Eastern 16%
                  Asia Minor 6%
                  East Middle East 0%
                  North Africa 6%
                  West Middle East 4%

European 57%
                  British Isles 30%
                  East Europe 0%
                  Finland 0%
                  Scandinavia 0%
                  Southeast Europe < 2%
                  Iberia 27%
                  West and Central Europe 0%

Jewish Diaspora 5%
                  Ashkenazi 5%
                  Sephardic < 2%

Now I don't have idea either where those British and Arabic people came from.
                  Last edited by Mario.salinas; 10 June 2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario.salinas View Post
                    My parents are from a little town in northeast Mexico called General Treviño in Nuevo León. I have traced my genealogy back to 1600s and all 14 to 16 generations were supposed to be sepharadic Jews, mestizos or Spanish people. I got them because all my family come from few surnames that corresponds to the first settlers in Nuevo Reino De Leon.

But recently, I got my myOrigin results from Family Tree DNA and I got 30% British isles and 24% from Iberia, 17% Native American, 16% middle eastern, 5% ashkenazi and only 2% Sephardic.

Now I don't have idea either where those British and Arabic people came from.
                    There was a miscegenation of Christians, Moors, Phoenicians, Berbers, Sephardic Jews, in the Iberian Peninsula. Most of New Christians(Conversos) were from Portugal, in Mexico. There was marriage amoung Portuguese and British, as well. Beyond that Portuguese and Spanish were descendants of the Celts. British are descendants of the Celts, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by winner View Post
                      There was a miscegenation of Christians, Moors, Phoenicians, Berbers, Sephardic Jews, in the Iberian Peninsula. Most of New Christians(Conversos) were from Portugal, in Mexico. There was marriage amoung Portuguese and British, as well. Beyond that Portuguese and Spanish were descendants of the Celts. British are descendants of the Celts, as well.
                      Persians, Turks and Saudis were in the Iberian Peninsula also.

Comment

Originally posted by winner View Post
                        Persians, Turks and Saudis were in the Iberian Peninsula also.
                        Correction: Egyptians, not Turks.

Comment

Working...
                        X