Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a formal response from FamilyTreeDNA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Time for a formal response from FamilyTreeDNA

    I think we have reached a point where so many people are confused by the change in results that we can expect an official response by FTDNA to explain what is going on here.

    I don't know if they actually read these forums, but maybe if we make enough noise something will happen...

  • #2
    Originally posted by michaelgo View Post
    I think we have reached a point where so many people are confused by the change in results that we can expect an official response by FTDNA to explain what is going on here.

    I don't know if they actually read these forums, but maybe if we make enough noise something will happen...
    There will be no official response.

    If any, customers will probably be accused of EXPECTING TOO MUCH...

    Probably somebody will be fired.

    This forum will be shut down.

    And we'll all have to wait years for the next update.

    Wanna bet?

    Comment


    • #3
      I noticed that there is one new page up in the Learning Center, dated yesterday, 7 April. It doesn't say much; just titled "MyOrigins 2.0 Update - no white paper, etc. Not the answer that many are looking for.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree. I commented on the FTDNA Facebook page and they asked me to provide kit numbers which I did. That was last week and I have heard nothing. Why do they want my kit numbers? How are they going to explain me getting results from SE Europe, South Central Asia and Eastern Europe that neither of my parents get?
        At the very least an acknowledgment of the issue and whether they will do anything about it would be reasonable. This forum and their social media might be the only way to do it, the more people who comment who are unhappy, the more potential customers might see reviews and perhaps not test and the more likely FTDNA might do something about it!

        Comment


        • #5
          I agree. The number of illogical results reported by customers seems to have ballooned well beyond what we have come to expect from the multitude of admixture algorithms that are now available to the public. What is the basic methodology behind the new algorithm? How were its predictions tested? What objective criteria were used to demonstrate that the new algorithm delivers better predictions than the previous versions? So far, I don't see any reason to believe that this is in any way an improvement.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by malchik View Post
            There will be no official response.

            If any, customers will probably be accused of EXPECTING TOO MUCH...

            Probably somebody will be fired.

            This forum will be shut down.

            And we'll all have to wait years for the next update.

            Wanna bet?
            I think you are being a little too dramatic. They need to prove on myOrigin's, which has been an issue for awhile; but I highly doubt that they will fire somebody or shut the forum down. At most, they might not get as much business.

            Comment


            • #7
              Family Tree DNA.

              Yeah I used to recommend FTDNA to people all the time when they asked me about DNA testing. I don't think I feel comfortable recommending them anymore, well at least the FF/MO part anyway. I am not sure if it just poor implementation
              or lack of samples, but its changed three times since I first did the family finder/MO
              test? Getting pretty frustrated at this point, kinda wish I went with different company now!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EraliaRose View Post
                I think you are being a little too dramatic. They need to prove on myOrigin's, which has been an issue for awhile; but I highly doubt that they will fire somebody or shut the forum down. At most, they might not get as much business.
                I don't think the people who have posted recently realise that they are just a very small percentage of the people who have tested and therefore their opinions are probably not representative of the whole database.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Do you work for FTDNA?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    But being a minority doesn't mean being irrelevant. A lot of people don't know much about their background and/or will accept anything a fancy graph says.

                    Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
                    I don't think the people who have posted recently realise that they are just a very small percentage of the people who have tested and therefore their opinions are probably not representative of the whole database.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by EraliaRose View Post
                      I think you are being a little too dramatic. They need to prove on myOrigin's, which has been an issue for awhile; but I highly doubt that they will fire somebody or shut the forum down. At most, they might not get as much business.
                      Are you familiar with sarcasm?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by malchik
                        If any, customers will probably be accused of EXPECTING TOO MUCH...
                        Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
                        I don't think the people who have posted recently realise that they are just a very small percentage of the people who have tested and therefore their opinions are probably not representative of the whole database.
                        I do think the people who have posted recently realize that they are just a very small percentage of the people who have tested (because they realize this, they come here to compare) and therefore their opinions are significant (because this might be the representative very small percentage actually able to react to non-sense produced by the exact same company).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Scott Ritchie View Post
                          Yeah I used to recommend FTDNA to people all the time when they asked me about DNA testing. I don't think I feel comfortable recommending them anymore, well at least the FF/MO part anyway. I am not sure if it just poor implementation
                          or lack of samples, but its changed three times since I first did the family finder/MO
                          test? Getting pretty frustrated at this point, kinda wish I went with different company now!
                          And you still read people writing here that you are not representative of the whole database... as if the driver should not expect too much from faulty brakes (although the company which sold them said they would brake the car) and of course no recall from all similar car models (the accident is just a very small percentage of the whole fleet).

                          I hear the sound of CRASH!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by EMC View Post
                            But being a minority doesn't mean being irrelevant. A lot of people don't know much about their background and/or will accept anything a fancy graph says.
                            Exactly! I might have believed my results had I not seen my parents'. How many people have tested who haven't tested both parents?! How can I take these results seriously when FTDNA give me results neither parent get. I am still waiting for their response. The money I spent on transferring myself, my father and my Aunt (my mother already tested here) could have gone on me doing the 23andme test instead.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The discrepancies being reported are far beyond what was reported when previous versions of FTDNA's admixture algorithms were rolled out. I've been watching this story unfold for years.

                              If the new MyOrigins is to have any credibility at all, the issues need to be answered with SCIENCE. Why should we prefer MyOrigins 2.0 over the many other admixture algorithms that are available today? How do the discrepant results make sense? How do we even know that the methodology works better than previous methods at an aggregate level, let alone for individual samples? The usual marketing blurbs will not be enough this time. It's time to explain in what specific ways this algorithm in an improvement, how it has overcome past difficulties, how it has made use of the latest discoveries in population genetics, statistical methods, and database technology, and especially, how it has been tested and verified. Without that sort of response, I don't see how anyone is likely to be persuaded that MyOrigins is better than the competition.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X