new myorigins jewish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new myorigins jewish?

On the previous my origins I had no Jewish ancestry, now I test at 2% Ashkenazi and my mother is 3% Shepardic Jew. I'm confused, if there's Jewish ancestry, shouldn't we both have the same kind?

jeapos88:
    1. prior to the update, ashkenazi was not reported in people with less than 5% of it
    2. do you have Ashkenazi matches?
    3. how do you know your father isn't the source of your Ashkenazi related DNA? did he test?
    4. some nonJewish mideasterners like Lebanese can score some so-called "Sephardi" here

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
      jeapos88:
      1. prior to the update, ashkenazi was not reported in people with less than 5% of it
      2. do you have Ashkenazi matches?
      3. how do you know your father isn't the source of your Ashkenazi related DNA? did he test?
      4. some nonJewish mideasterners like Lebanese can score some so-called "Sephardi" here
      My father has tested, he had no Jewish on his myorigins. I do have quite a few matches that have jewish origins.

Comment

... ok thanks for clarifying

Comment

jeapos88:
          I'm interested in what you write. Do you know of specific instances of this since myOrigins 2.0 was released?

The reason I'm interested is that my ancestry is 100% Sicilian/southern Italian. In the original myOrigins, I didn't get Jewish Diaspora at all. Now I have 8% Jewish Diaspora, all Sephardic.

As the Sicily Project administrator, I haven't had the time yet to look at the new myOrigins results for members with full Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry. However, I expect that there will be a good number, like me, who will get a Sephardic percentage. Based on what you wrote above, is this truly Sephardic or could it represent Lebanese or nearby non-Jewish ancestry? In other words, how much trust do you think anyone with Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry who gets a significant percentage of Sephardic should place in the accuracy of that?

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
            I'm interested in what you write. Do you know of specific instances of this since myOrigins 2.0 was released?

The reason I'm interested is that my ancestry is 100% Sicilian/southern Italian. In the original myOrigins, I didn't get Jewish Diaspora at all. Now I have 8% Jewish Diaspora, all Sephardic.

As the Sicily Project administrator, I haven't had the time yet to look at the new myOrigins results for members with full Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry. However, I expect that there will be a good number, like me, who will get a Sephardic percentage. Based on what you wrote above, is this truly Sephardic or could it represent Lebanese or nearby non-Jewish ancestry? In other words, how much trust do you think anyone with Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry who gets a significant percentage of Sephardic should place in the accuracy of that?
            Khazaria will give much more informative input than I can. I have noted this issue in regard to small % AJ results. Lacking a Levant region, I wasn't sure if the old MO could discriminate between Lebanese and AJ since research shows them to be close. What are the locations of the new Western ME and Sephardic samples
            Last edited by josh w.; 6 April 2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

If I recall there is some nonJewish user nicknamed LebaGerman at Anthrogenica with much Lebanese ancestry who said he shows significant Sephardi Jewish in MOv2

Comment

If I recall there is some nonJewish user nicknamed LebaGerman at Anthrogenica with much Lebanese ancestry who said he shows significant Sephardi Jewish in MOv2
                Yes, Eurogenes reported that Lebanese were a bit closer to Greek-Turkish Sephardis than to Ashkenazis. The main difference was that Ashkenazis had a Baltic component. Lebanese have more East Med and less North Atlantic than the Jewish groups.

I wonder if the new MO has a Levantine sample for Western ME. This might reduce false positives re the Jewish groups.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
                  Yes, Eurogenes reported that Lebanese were a bit closer to Greek-Turkish Sephardis than to Ashkenazis. The main difference was that Ashkenazis had a Baltic component. Lebanese have more East Med and less North Atlantic than the Jewish groups.

I wonder if the new MO has a Levantine sample for Western ME. This might reduce false positives re the Jewish groups.
                  To amplify, MO1 had Middle East samples but not one from the Levant. If the new West ME has a Levantine sample, individuals would have to be from the Levant (not just ME) to show any Jewish %. It is not obvious, but MOs Diaspora composite contains West ME AIMS (SNPS)

Comment

Josh, my mother gets a noise of <2% West Middle East (Israel, Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, border of Egypt).
                    Last edited by winner; 7 April 2017, 12:23 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

To amplify, MO1 had Middle East samples but not one from the Levant. If the new West ME has a Levantine sample, individuals would have to be from the Levant (not just ME) to show any Jewish %. It is not obvious, but MOs Diaspora composite contains West ME AIMS (SNPS)

So are you saying that someone who scores West ME and some Sepharic diaspora likely have some ancestors from the Levant? Or did I completely misunderstand you (entirely possible). For instance, an updated version of one of my kits shows a decrease in Asia Minor (21-6) and an addition of 21% Western ME. In addition their previous 6% Ashkenazi was replaced with 3% Sephardic

Comment

Same thing

My husband had 0% Jewish prior to the update. He also has 0% on 23andMe. Now he shows 3% Ashkenazi Jewish. Both of his parents were tested. His maternal grandparents were born in Italy and father is very mixed European. The 3% Jewish is coming from his father.

Comment

The West ME description looks exactly like a description of the Levantine coast. I doubt that it can separate Lebanese from Jews except that Lebanese would have higher percentages. (On Eurogenes I am about halfway between the Ashkenazi and Lebanese percentages--100% Ashkenazi on both MOs)

Comment

The West ME description looks exactly like a description of the Levantine coast. I doubt that it can separate Lebanese from Jews except that Lebanese would have higher percentages. (On Eurogenes I am about halfway between the Ashkenazi and Lebanese percentages--100% Ashkenazi on both MOs)
                            Clarification. My guess about Lebanese having higher rates of West ME is based on extrapolation from Eurogenes East Med results.

Lebanese lines might be found in European Phoenician descendents (or in DNA Land"s Med Islander)
                            Last edited by josh w.; 7 April 2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

neither parents have Ashkenazi but husband has 3%

I take it back, my husband and our son now show 3% Ashkenazi. Neither of my husband's parents have any Ashkenazi on their origins, nor do I. How is this possible? It's obviously a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X