Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Origins vs. Old Origins - Can anyone actually explain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Origins vs. Old Origins - Can anyone actually explain?

Old origins:

64% British Isles
    11% Scandinavian
    10% Middle Eastern (broken down to 5% from the Levant and 5% from Asia minor)
    9% Western and Central European
    6% Eastern European

New origins:

British Isles 47%
    West and Central Europe 44%
    Southeast Europe 8%
    __________________________________________________ ________

Not only has my British Isles input decreased drastically, but my Scandinavian ancestry has disappeared along with the "Middle Eastern" input, and most markedly my West/Central soared from 9% to 44%!

How does this even make sense?

My grandmother also went from being 42% southern European/42% Scandinavia to now being 84% western/central european.....

Comment

Originally posted by BEN89B View Post
      My grandmother also went from being 42% southern European/42% Scandinavia to now being 84% western/central european.....
      Which is bizarre because she is the ONLY person I could have gotten my 8% Southeast Europe from and she shows up as none, while previously she was 42% southern european.....

Comment

Originally posted by BEN89B View Post
        Which is bizarre because she is the ONLY person I could have gotten my 8% Southeast Europe from and she shows up as none, while previously she was 42% southern european.....
        All my kits S. European disappeared and was replaced w/ West and Central Europe (~20%)...weird the same thing happened to you

Comment

My results more closely match with dna.land now and the mysterious Western and Central has totally disappeared replaced with a much higher British isles and some South East Europe instead. For ancestrydna I think they listed my SE Europe as Iberian and I found that confusing. Like I said my results are more closely in alignment with dna.land and 23andme now but ancestrydna is much different in the northern European assessment portion. These new my origins results follow my known lineage better.

Comment

The same thing happened to me. I had 59% South European, 23% Central Western European, 5% Finnish and 13% Asia Minor. Now I have 47% CW European (up from 23%!), 44% Southeastern European, 6% Asia Minor and 3% Ashkenazi.

Comment

I'm supposed to be 11/16 Italian and 5/16 Portuguese.
              Before the upgrade I was 50% Southern European, 37% Western and Central European and 14% Asia Minor.
              Now I have 56% Iberia, 37% Southeast Europe and 5% Western and Central Europe and traces from West Middle East and South America (!)

Comment

I seem to be one of the few people who's Scandinavian percentage actually increased with the new update (from 36% to 51%). Still, the updated version (taken in context with my mother's results) seems far more likely.
                Last edited by Frank Kelch; 4 April 2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I lost my odd small percentage of Middle Eastern and Central Asian, and gained a similar amount of South East Europe. This kind of makes more sense for someone with 100% Irish ancestry - my Big Y shows I am downstream of R-L2 and one of the few other people to share my haplogroup is Italian.

My son's results make no sense at all - 14% Central European with 2% Jewish diaspora, doesn't really fit with my wife being half English and half Irish. She'd have to have over a quarter of her ancestry coming from Central Europe. I was planning more DNA testing on that side of the family, which might confirm the paper trail, or not.

Comment

The update literally gave me a headache. I had to walk a mile to get rid of it...

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                      The update literally gave me a headache. I had to walk a mile to get rid of it...
                      Why was that? What changed in your results?

Comment

have tested here at FTDNA since 2008..under the old myOrigins 25% British..with the update now show 92%, and we were supposed to believe the past results, but now we we jump 70% British, not possible my line is Colonial America the last 300 plus years, I must now show more British than the people in England that never left..

Comment

My new origins

100% European
                          100% British Isles (changed from (75% British Isles + 25% mixture Southern/Western/Eastern Europe( so tidied up)

Brothers
                          100% European
                          96% British Isles
                          4% Eastern Europe ( changed from Southern Europe)

Comment

Originally posted by lab View Post
                            All my kits S. European disappeared and was replaced w/ West and Central Europe (~20%)...weird the same thing happened to you
                            I'm glad to see I'm not the only one haha. I had 20% Southern Europe and 6%Eastern Europe and I have now 20% West and Central Europe and 4% Southeast Europe.

I'm confused ...

Comment

Originally posted by montagnoli View Post
                              The same thing happened to me. I had 59% South European, 23% Central Western European, 5% Finnish and 13% Asia Minor. Now I have 47% CW European (up from 23%!), 44% Southeastern European, 6% Asia Minor and 3% Ashkenazi.
                              Ha! Your Finnish part vanished!?

Comment

Working...
                              X