Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ethnicity Component at Ancestry. What Do You Think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
    Ancestry is screwy.

My mother's kit has her at 73% Great Britain, 22% Ireland, 3% Scandinavia, 1% Finland/NW Russia, and 1% Italy/Greece. However from her Swiss-German great grandmother she is given the group "Settlers of Pennsylvania Highlands" (lines drawn to Switzerland). That should be good for around ten percent on the ethnicity, but where is it?

I am glad that I only have purchased the one Ancestry DNA kit for my mother. What a waste!

Jack Wyatt
    Did you try GEDMatch?

Comment

Originally posted by malchik View Post
      Did you try GEDMatch?
      I've been at this for a long time. The truth be told is that I do not pay much attention to any of the admixture calculators because they all are missing something really huge.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

I've been at this for a long time. The truth be told is that I do not pay much attention to any of the admixture calculators because they all are missing something really huge.

Jack Wyatt
        You are right.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
          Ancestry gave me one genetic community for my Norwegian component. That's fine, and it shows both Norway and the USA (mostly upper midwest). But they haven't tackled the remainder of my composition, which is mixed and complex.
          Looking again at my Ancestry GC, I see they placed me in "Eastern Norwegians". But I must add that my paternal grandfather's parents both came from western Norway (Sogne Fjord). And that direct paternal line goes back to around 1600 in the Sogne Fjord area. Maybe they were attracted to the varied seafood available in western Norway, ha ha.

Comment

After reading this thread I went to Ancestry to see what my Genetic Community is and all I get is this:

We’re, sorry, you don’t have any Genetic Communities yet.

Check back often, new discoveries are happening quickly.

Comment

Jack Wyatt
              Reposting my answer from another thread...

Does it make sense to compare the results from different companies?

Each company...

(1) uses different sets of reference populations (different DNA samples),

(2) uses different sample sizes (different statistical universe),

(3) uses different labels for ethnic groups (different naming conventions),

(4) uses different algorithms to assign ethnic groups (different methods, different criteria),

(5) tests different amount of markers (different accuracy),

(6) focuses on different time frames (compares to older samples),

(7) compensates (or not) a calculator effect in a different way (http://bga101.blogspot.de/2012/05/be...or-effect.html)

And each (8) charges different prices (delivers different quality).

Some conclusions:

(1) Most comparisons will look suspicious, but that is not the fault of any single company.

(2) Many results will look strange (just take a look at my thread: MyOriginsStrangeResults) and that is a problem of each company.

(3) It is not fair, intellectually speaking, to accuse any company of racism (i.e. assigning small portions of X ethnicity to certain people), when you consider the points above (BUT YOU NEVER KNOW ABOUT HIDDEN AGENDAS... )

(4) It is not 100% logical to assume you have ancestry directly from the ethnical groups assigned to you (e.g. Modern Scandinavian). It may indicate only that you have a deep ancestry that is common to you and Modern Scandinavians.

(5) By assuming one company is right, you are assuming all the others are less right or wrong (almost like counting the hits, forgetting the misses). And that is not scientific approach. You need to PROVE why that company is right based on UNDISPUTABLE FACTS.

(6) With time, more and more people will test, so better assumptions can be made, many hypothesis can be confirmed or excluded.

Anything else is entertainment or wild speculation.

Comment

My sibling recently tested at Ancestry and has NO genetic communties. We're mongrels!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
                  After reading this thread I went to Ancestry to see what my Genetic Community is and all I get is this:
                  Lol

Sorry. Can’t help it. How can you not have a genetic community? Unless maybe you “bud” or parthenogenesis is taking place.

Comment

Working...
                  X