Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sicilians/S. Italians/Greeks: post your results. How much Middle Eastern do you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dna test

Hello everyone,

my name is Richard.

I have been reading your posts and I think you are the right people to ask some questions. I am full sicilian, born in Sicily and with 100% sicilian parents and ancestry. I have been working on my family tree for over 20 years. My paternal ancestors came from the town of Modica (Ragusa) in 1600, but about my mom little is known because her grandfather was the illegitimate child of a man coming from the town of Agrigento, but for sure sicilians as well.

Talking about my family name. My family name is Blandini. According to many researches I have been conducting, this family name could be of french/norman roots and it seems it started to appear in Sicily around the year 1000 and coincidentally in that time Sicily was invaded by the Normans. If you look up "Blandin" in France, there are thousands of people with that surname, while in all Italy, only Sicily has no more than some hundreds. The fact that this family name is mostly present in Sicily, confirms that theory that it was taken there by the Normans who invaded Sicily. This family name can be also traced back to ancient Rome and it was found in roman soldiers as Blandinus in Roman Britain (England) and also in France in places once ruled by the Romans.

My question is...which one is the best way/tool to take a basic/standard DNA test that will help to give enough informations about your origins (just like the ones I have seen in your posts). Please forgive me I am totally ignorant about this stuff and confuse as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard

Comment

Mediterranean conundrum

My Heritage journey has been frustrating.Depending on where I uploaded my DNA,even GedMatch. I am either Morth African Sephardic Jew,or Italian/ Sicilian/ Sardinian and West Asian.Some sites say”Med Islander”.
      I am Ashkenazi high percentage and Sephardic.Gedmatch has my others listed above in pop finders/projects also.I have no conclusive evidence at this point. I even have that Nigerian 1.4% that quite a few are getting and told on forums it’s noise. There has been a large Jewish population in Nigeria for thousands of years. So at this point I do not know
      Wether Sicily or Italy,except for a family myth.My grandaughter also was tested and has Italy. I think the classification descriptions get jumbled.I hVe been to those places and felt a bond.Half of my family are dark.So,who knows? Someone said if you eat a lot of garlic and olive oil you are in! So
      I guess that’s the answer!

Comment

Well, sicilians are not an ethnic group at all. They are a mix of many ethnic groups of all people that ruled Sicily in 3000 years. Some are dark some have fairer skin than other Northern europeans. My uncle was also dark but my father has very fair skin. I have nephews and nieces from my brothers and sister that look more like germans/irish than italian. Sicilian DNA must be very complicated, that's what makes me so curious about mine. After years researching about papers, now I am really curious to know about the DNA stuff.
        Last edited by Blandini; 27th May 2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blandini View Post
          My question is...which one is the best way/tool to take a basic/standard DNA test that will help to give enough informations about your origins (just like the ones I have seen in your posts). Please forgive me I am totally ignorant about this stuff and confuse as well.

Thanks in advance,
          Richard
          Hi Richard,
          You'll find a review of the different testing companies on Eupedia: https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/whi...o_choose.shtml
          Living DNA (according to them) is supposedly the most accurate (at the moment) as far as Autosomal DNA is concerned. I've tested with Ftdna, but I'd like to try Living DNA as well. I've found Ftdna was a bit too vague. Apparently, Living DNA gives a more detailed breakdown (like, S. Italians VS N. Italians).

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it. I have another question...I am not currently living in Italy but in Asia. Do you think it will be a problem for the testing? I am quite confused about this...

Comment

Originally posted by Blandini View Post
              Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it. I have another question...I am not currently living in Italy but in Asia. Do you think it will be a problem for the testing? I am quite confused about this...
              I don't know about Asia. I'm in Europe and though that kind of testing is forbidden in my country, I had no problem purchasing a test from a US company. I don't think it should be a problem for you either. But maybe you can ask the company you're considering testing with.

Comment

This blog post by The DNA Geek, "Genealogical DNA Testing Around the Globe," has a chart showing to which countries the various DNA testing companies ship. FTDNA ships to almost all countries in the world, with very few exceptions; many more than any other company.

Some countries may require special handling; you can see which ones under the questions "What countries require special handling when Family Tree DNA ships a kit or kits to them?" and "What countries require special handling when customers return kits to Family Tree DNA?" under the "Shipping" heading, in the FAQ in the FTDNA Learning Center (basically these are Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Russia and Saudi Arabia).

Comment

My father's results

My father tested recently.

Most of his ancestry is Greek from North Western Greece plus very small percentage Italian (mid and North Italy)

My origins : 100% South East Europe.

Regards,

Costa Tsirigakis
                  Last edited by CNT; 16th July 2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Well, I'm not southern, but northern Italian, from Veneto, and I've got 8% Middle Eastern. My mother has got only 4% Middle Eastern, 32% Southeastern European, and 64% West and Central European.

Comment

My mother was born in Vittoria, Ragusa, Sicily with some of her paternal ancestors coming from Modica. Her maiden name was "DiModica".

My father was born in New York 4 months after his parents arrived from Sicily. His family was from various towns in the provinces of Messina and Catania.

My origins are 53% Southeast Europe, 30% Sephardic Jewish (Both my maternal and paternal lines are documented Roman Catholics back to the 1600's); 15% Middle Eastern with <2% North African.

My brother is 84% Southeast Europe 11% Sephardic Jewish and 3% Middle Eastern.

My sister is 61% Southeast Europe 30% Sephardic Jewish and 4% Middle Eastern.

My Mother's brother is 93% Southeast Europe, 3% Sephardic Jewish.

I have been able to figure out a lot of matches of distant relationships going back to my 4th great grandparents as the common ancestor. None of these relatives are Jewish. So, I find the results of the Origin test a little curious.

Comment

Originally posted by CNT View Post
                        My father tested recently.

... plus very small percentage Italian (mid and North Italy)

My origins : 100% South East Europe.
                        Let me be more specific - my father's Italian ancestry is about 3% (based on paper trail records)

He has quite a lot of matches 30-40cM with individuals from all Balkan countries.

Regards,
                        Costa Tsirigakis
                        Last edited by CNT; 18th July 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X