Ancestry DNA versus myFTDNA results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry DNA versus myFTDNA results

Both companies have a large database and and a lot of experience in the field of DNA testing. The special feature of Family Tree DNA is that it lets you make an autosomal transfer from some other companies. I did that with my AncestryDNA sample. What did I expect? Since it is the same sample, but only different testing methods, I expected the major results to be similar. The minor results will certainly differ. To my surprise, there was a big difference in the major results:

AncestryDNA Ethnicity:

Europe West: 54%
    Europe East: 29%
    Other Regions: 17%

myFTDNA - My Origins:

Southern Europe: 44%
    Eastern Europe: 31%
    Other Regions: 25%

Europe East is almost the same. Could someone please explain the different results for the largest region? Europe West versus Southern Europe?

Europe West probably means Germany/France, Southern Europe probably Italy. I am adopted and don't know who my true parents are. Therefore both results could be true.

I appreciate your help.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul001 View Post
    Both companies have a large database
    And they are not the same..., therefore they are comparing your DNA with DIFFERENT people.

and and a lot of experience in the field of DNA testing.
    Considering the many strange results we get, even among directly related, I would say they have a lot to learn.

What did I expect? Since it is the same sample, but only different testing methods, I expected the major results to be similar.
    The sample is the same, but the TESTING METHODS, ANALYSIS ALGORITHMS, REFERENCE POPULATIONS and DATABASE (as said before) are DIFFERENT.

The minor results will certainly differ.
    Just because they are minor? Minorities DNA may show up distinctively more stable while the big clusters 'European North, South, East and West' may differ a lot...

To my surprise, there was a big difference in the major results ...
    Welcome to the club.

Europe East is almost the same. Could someone please explain the different results for the largest region?
    Easy if you can post what other regions comprise the 17% or 25% of your results...

Europe West probably means Germany/France, Southern Europe probably Italy.
    You forgot Portugal, Spain... try posting your results to GEDMatch, do the Eurogenes test and use this website to locate "country of origin". It can help you narrow down origins.

http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/Europe.htm

Comment

Hi Malchik,

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply.
      I learned a few things, for example I really believed that the minority results were not so important because they are more likely to be wrong. AncestryDNA suggests this interpretation because they give you a percentage range for each region. The Trace regions contain 0%, which means that in some tests they did not show up. Here is the definition:

What are "Trace Regions"?
      These are regions where you seem to have just a trace amount of genetic ethnicity — there is only a small amount of evidence supporting the regions as part of your genetic ethnicity. Because both the estimated amount and the range of the estimate are small, it is possible that these regions appear by chance and are not actually part of your genetic ethnicity.

Here are those regions for AncestryDNA:

Europe

Finland/Northwest Russia: 4%
      Italy/Greece: 3%
      European Jewish: 2%
      Iberian Peninsula: 1%
      Scandinavia: 1%
      Ireland < 1%
      Great Britain < 1%

West Asia

Caucasus: 4 %

Here are the other regions for Family Tree DNA:

Europe

Scandinavia: 17%
      Finland and Northern Siberia: 8%

The results are quite different, just look at Scandinavia. 17% and 8% do not qualify as Trace Regions.
      I am looking forward to your analysis.

Paul

Comment

... The results are quite different, just look at Scandinavia. 17% and 8% do not qualify as Trace Regions. I am looking forward to your analysis. Paul
        Hello Paul,

I dont know how to make a table here, so I write my assumptions as below.

Europe East: 29%
        European Jewish: 2%
        _____Eastern Europe: 31% (<- FTDNA score)

Finland/Northwest Russia: 4%
        Scandinavia: 1%
        Ireland < 1%
        Great Britain < 1%
        _____Finland and Northern Siberia: 8%

Europe West: 17 from 54%
        _____Scandinavia: 17%

Europe West: 37 from 54%
        Italy/Greece: 3%
        Iberian Peninsula: 1%
        Caucasus: 4%
        _____Southern Europe: 44%

(1) AncestryDNA’s Italy/Greece + Iberian Peninsula is (almost) the same region as FTDNA calls Southern Europe.

(2) AncestryDNA’s Europe West is (almost) the same region as FTDNA calls Western Central Europe, which includes Switzerland, Northern Italy, France, Austria...

(3) Caucasus would show up as Asia Minor in FTDNA, but probably got clustered within Southern Europe. Asia Minor is supposed to represent DEEP ANCESTRY from ancient anatolian farmers for Europeans.

(4) The Finland/Finnish component is also present in Finnougric populations, lets say Hungary. Hungary belongs to Eastern Europe and you have a strong Eastern European profile.

(5) The (high) Scandinavian component is present in Germany, Austria... as well.

I would, at first, exclude Portuguese, Spanish, Southern Italians and Greek and British Isles from your ancestry. You have in my opinion a marked East-West continental world in you. It seems to me that your parents were from an area comprising Southern France and Germany ending either in Poland or Hungary. But I can be wrong, of course.

Try GEDMatch to investigate further.

Comment

Hi Malchik,

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply. I guess every company defines the regions differently and therefore I will never get similar results. However, judging from your analysis ("marked East-West continental world") AncestryDNA is more accurate for me because it says Europe West and Europe East. Southern Europe is misleading, in my opinion. What do you think?

I will use GEDmMatch to investigate further and will let you know about the results.

I appreciate your help.

Paul

Comment

Hi Malchik,

Attached are the screenshots from:

GEDMatch Eurogenes K36
            Website to locate "country of origin"

Please give me your analysis.

Thanks
            Paul
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Malchik,

Attached are the screenshots from:

GEDMatch Eurogenes K36
              Website to locate "country of origin"

Please give me your analysis.

Thanks
              Paul
              Originally posted by malchik
              I would, at first, exclude Portuguese, Spanish, Southern Italians and Greek and British Isles from your ancestry. You have in my opinion a marked East-West continental world in you. It seems to me that your parents were from an area comprising Southern France and Germany ending either in Poland or Hungary. But I can be wrong, of course.
              According to the map software, your results point to northern part of Austria, which is centered in the area I assumed before. That wasnt really a bad estimation from my side. Yet I cant do better than that.

Put it like this in GoogleMaps search:

The creator of K36 is polishe, look at his results.
              http://bga101.blogspot.de/2013/03/eu...-gedmatch.html

Comment

Hi Malchik,

your analysis is very likely correct ("a marked East West continental world"). Therefore, AncestryDNA is more accurate than My Family Tree DNA regarding my DNA. Southern Europe is misleading in my opinion.

Is there any other analysis you would recommend?
                Were the parents from some other place, but living in Austria?

Paul

Comment

Hi Malchik,

Your analysis and help was great.

I have an other question regarding accuracy:

Davidski from Poland was located in Poland and he states:

Another way to look at it is that the ancestry proportions are like map coordinates, and they'll place you with a very high degree of accuracy on a genetic map featuring other users.

This would mean my parents came from Austria?
                  However, there is a strong Italian component in my DNA.

Austrians of mixed heritage?

Or do you think this kind of accuracy is not always possible and maintain your conclusion:

"It seems to me that your parents were from an area comprising Southern France and Germany ending either in Poland or Hungary."

Those GEDMatch tools are really helpful. Is there any other free tool that you can recommend?

I appreciate your help.

Paul

Comment

...Those GEDMatch tools are really helpful. Is there any other free tool that you can recommend?

Paul
                    I know that question was aimed at Malchick, but I would suggest that you upload your data to DNAland. If offers a pretty good ethnicity calculator and it's free.

Comment

Hi Malchik,

Your analysis and help was great.
                      I am glad I can help.

This would mean my parents came from Austria?
                      However, there is a strong Italian component in my DNA. Austrians of mixed heritage?
                      You definitely have some ancestors who lived in Eastern Europe, your percentage for that component is high. Since you dont know where your parents come from, the conclusion you can draw from this is that IF they both came from the same place, this place would be around that area.

However, IF they DIDNT come from the same place, then it means that COMBINED it LOOKS LIKE they come from that area. But it can be you have a German father and a Polish mother or any other plausible combination.

You have to take these tests as compasses, they give you some directions but they cannot pin point locations with accuracy, just approximation.

In fact, it does not necessarily mean you have Italian ancestors, or Iberian, etc... it means that both Italians and 'Austrians' had somewhere in the past common ancestors.

This would mean you should compare yourself more with people from that are and look for similarities in their composition.

Those GEDMatch tools are really helpful. Is there any other free tool that you can recommend?
                      DNA.Land ist another type of GEDMatch, as the colleague already said. I supposed in the future, you will be able to narrow down.

Do you have any matches in FTDNA? Where are they from? This can also help you to find out something more about your origins.

Comment

Hi Frank,

thanks for your reply. I took a look at the website DNAland and the team consists of scientists at Columbia University. They should be able to deliver good results and if the service is free, I will certainly give it a try.

Paul

Comment

Hi Malchik,

I appreciate your help.

East-West mixture is plausible in my case and the border of Austria would also make sense.
                          However, Eurogenes K36 had a notable Italian component and myOrigins had Southern Europe with 44%.

I will definitely upload my results to DNAland to see what results they get.

Paul

Comment

Push pins doubts

Dear colleagues,

My FTDNA push pins results spots, one of then, in one region that I haven't any kind of knowledge in my family about that. It was located in Ireland, for dad side. But, no one in my family don't know absollutelly nothing about any irish, british ancestry. Even any ancient oral tradition!!! Someone here could explain me what represent this tool (push pins) at FTDNA? Is it shows the country where your ancestry came from, actually? If it istn't, what is this shows? thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jvarela View Post
                              Dear colleagues,

My FTDNA push pins results spots, one of then, in one region that I haven't any kind of knowledge in my family about that. It was located in Ireland, for dad side. But, no one in my family don't know absollutelly nothing about any irish, british ancestry. Even any ancient oral tradition!!! Someone here could explain me what represent this tool (push pins) at FTDNA? Is it shows the country where your ancestry came from, actually? If it istn't, what is this shows? thanks!
                              If you hover your cursor over where you turn the pins on it describes that it isn't your locations but those for your matches. The push pins are basically useless. Those are just the self reported locations for your matches direct paternal and direct maternal lineage. It has no meaning most likely for you as the odds are you won't be related to people on their direct paternal or direct maternal lines but most likely related through another branch of their family. FTDNA offers it as a visual in case you are related through one of those two branches but in most cases it will not apply to you as a match to that person.

Comment

Working...
                              X