Any update on the new My Origins & the Sephardic Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
    The mystery continues. JewishGen is publicizing a series of papers on dna. One presentation will be on a survey of Sephardic Jews. I suspect that Ftdna cannot identify a unique Sephardic pattern which separates Ashkenazis and Sephardis except for host country influences. A status report would help.
    A co-author of the presentation is Ftdna's own Bennett Greenspan. I presume that the presentation is connected to the Sephardic Heritage Project at Ftdna. Consistent with my earlier point, the Sephardic Heritage Project is distinct from the Sephardic Anusim Project. I hope the presentation covers adna.
    Last edited by josh w.; 15 April 2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
      A co-author of the presentation is Ftdna's own Bennett Greenspan. I presume that the presentation is connected to the Sephardic Heritage Project at Ftdna. Consistent with my earlier point, the Sephardic Heritage Project is distinct from the Sephardic Anusim Project. I hope the presentation covers adna.
      The Sephardic (and Mizrachi) Survey will be presented at the IAJGS (International Association of Jewish Genetic Societies) conference in Seattle this summer. I hope that someone can provide a report.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
        This is a long, but excellent article. Although it's not directly related to the topic here, it's worth reading because it stretches our understanding of how things may have happened in many parts of the world. http://harvardmagazine.com/2009/07/w...he-men-england
        Vinnie, thanks for the article. Everything is related. My kids' maternal line is from England. One of the family surnames points to an Anglo Saxon town in northeastern England. I also have a match with a Yiddish surname who is related to my kids' maternal line.

Comment

Hi,

yes as someone who has some distant link to Sephardic Jewish through only an mtdna test and two Sephardic matches- these studies would interest me as well as any Iberian ancestry from my southern euro admixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by asveda77 View Post
            Hi,

yes as someone who has some distant link to Sephardic Jewish through only an mtdna test and two Sephardic matches- these studies would interest me as well as any Iberian ancestry from my southern euro admixtures.
            Which countries are these two Sephardic matches from? I've got two Sephardic matches (HVR1 and HVR2), from Tunisia and Libya. I am Brazilian, and I am almost sure my direct maternal line is Jewish. I've got two exact matches, at the FMS level, from the Azores. Most of maternal lines are Africans and Indigenous, in Brazil. Few women came from Europe to Brazil, in the colonization time, and my direct maternal line came from Europe. Several women were convicted by "holy inquisition" because of Judaism, in Brazil.

Comment

They both have maternal ancestry from Italy- but this is only documented back to the 1800's for one match. Since Italy was one of the places Sephardic Jews fled to following the reconquista of the 1490's from Spain & Portugal. However my mothers maternal ancestry is solidly east european in recent generations with no known ancestors from Italy.

Comment

They both have maternal ancestry from Italy- but this is only documented back to the 1800's for one match. Since Italy was one of the places Sephardic Jews fled to following the reconquista of the 1490's from Spain & Portugal. However my mothers maternal ancestry is solidly east european in recent generations with no known ancestors from Italy.
                Thanks for replying my message. I am trying to do my mother's line genealogy, however, the priest didn't write my great great grandmother parents names, on marriage record. I am looking for to access the inventories of my ancestors to find her parents names.

Comment

It's incredibly frustrating not to be able to see all of the MO results for all of my matches. That said, I finally took the time to e-mail two of my mother's distant matches; one is close enough to show up in her MO list so I can see that he has some AJ, but he has no names listed other than his MDKA, neither of which seem to be Jewish. The other is too distant to see her MO, but she only has Spanish origin names. These two share with each other the same stretch of DNA on chromosome 8 that they share with my mother.

Comment

Another frustration: not being able to continually edit one's own post.

Got a little mixed up above; the male is also too distant to see his MO; everything else is correct.

But there are two other matches who share overlapping segments with each other on chromo 8, and my mother. One is too distant to see his MO, and he has listed only Italian names. The other guy shows AJ in his MO, and lists Italian, French, and Irish names, but none that seem to be Jewish.

So out of her 57 matches, these four are the only ones who match her on that chromosome, and they make up two pairs of people who match with each other also. Wish I could check their list of matches.
                    Last edited by vinnie; 16 April 2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I have an interesting match list on Chrom 22- 19 iberian matches at almost identical lengths of 7-10cm! I'm not sure if this is what they call a " pile-up" region or someone fathered a lot of children. I also have a similar situation on chrom 15 with all the matches being finnish or lithuanian- though I do not have that ancestry so that could be a pile-up region also.

Comment

I have an interesting match list on Chrom 22- 19 iberian matches at almost identical lengths of 7-10cm! I'm not sure if this is what they call a " pile-up" region or someone fathered a lot of children. I also have a similar situation on chrom 15 with all the matches being finnish or lithuanian- though I do not have that ancestry so that could be a pile-up region also.
                        Almost all my matches are from Spain, Portugal, the Azores, Madeira Island, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Chile. I've got a interesting Ashkenazi match, from Poland. He is 100% Ashkenazi Diaspora, and we've got a common match from Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by winner View Post
                          Almost all my matches are from Spain, Portugal, the Azores, Madeira Island, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Chile. I've got a interesting Ashkenazi match, from Poland. He is 100% Ashkenazi Diaspora, and we've got a common match from Mexico.
                          I think he has Sephardic ancestry, because some Sephardic settled in Poland.

Comment

So more recent Jewish ancestry should show both Ashkenazi & Sephardic matches with you. I'm assuming Sephardic Jewish might be hidden with Spanish matches also or even Italian.

Comment

So more recent Jewish ancestry should show both Ashkenazi & Sephardic matches with you. I'm assuming Sephardic Jewish might be hidden with Spanish matches also or even Italian.
                              That Mexican match knows about Sephardic ancestry. My known Jews ancestors are from 14th Century and the 15th Century.

Comment

Originally posted by winner View Post
                                That Mexican match knows about Sephardic ancestry. My known Jews ancestors are from 14th Century and the 15th Century.
                                In the 16th Century, my ancestors are Conversos/Marranos, in Brazil. However, some of them returned to Judaism here. Therefore, the "holy inquisition" came to Brazil, in 1591.

Comment

Working...
                                X