Any update on the new My Origins & the Sephardic Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Septem27 View Post
    Was there any word of the implementation of a chromosome painting feature?

Not that I am aware. At this point, Sephardic Jews appear to have some Anatolian lines, but I don't know of a chromosome by chromosome analysis. Jews cannot show a Levantine component on My Origins. Sephardic Jews also show a South Europe component. At the chromosome level there probably is some variation from person to person. Did you have a specific question about chromosomes.

In my own situation, a Sephardic chromosome section has been identified---there are other such sections on various chromosomes. It is presumed Sephardic because my matches are probably Anusim from Latin America. The section was identified as Levantine in origin at Gedmatch.
    Last edited by josh w.; 31 January 2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post

Not that I am aware. At this point, Sephardic Jews appear to have some Anatolian lines, but I don't know of a chromosome by chromosome analysis. Jews cannot show a Levantine component on My Origins. Sephardic Jews also show a South Europe component. At the chromosome level there probably is some variation from person to person. Did you have a specific question about chromosomes.

In my own situation, a Sephardic chromosome section has been identified---there are other such sections on various chromosomes. It is presumed Sephardic because my matches are probably Anusim from Latin America. The section was identified as Levantine in origin at Gedmatch.
      Khazaria will be presenting some information on this issue in his article on Sephardic Jews in Lithuania, in the Shem Tov (Toronto) online newsletter in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Septem27 View Post
        Was there any word of the implementation of a chromosome painting feature?
        Not sure I understand. If My Origins does not have a Sephardic group, what would be painted. I am not sure why a Greek (Greek-Turkish) sample has not been used. It is possibly a better proxy than North African Jews due to rates of endogamy. Atzmon has already demonstrated that this kind of sample is close to Ashkenazis regarding Levantine origins. Hopefully My Origins will include a Levantine reference group in the future.

If you meant the type of analysis I mentioned in my own situation, My Origins appropriately relies on conventional IBD standards. In my case, the segment is too small to be identified as a match. The issue, based on Ftdna's own findings, is whether shorter IBD standards are appropriate in the case of Jewish matches.
        Last edited by josh w.; 31 January 2016, 08:34 AM.

Comment

The real issue is you may not meet the 20 cM minimum total sharing. Matches between Ashkenazim and Mexicans usually hover close to the 20 cM mark and only sometimes surpass it to show in FTDNA. There isn't anything questionable about the individual segments I found.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
            The real issue is you may not meet the 20 cM minimum total sharing. Matches between Ashkenazim and Mexicans usually hover close to the 20 cM mark and only sometimes surpass it to show in FTDNA. There isn't anything questionable about the individual segments I found.
            I was not suggesting any problem with your analysis. I only meant that at My Origins comparisons were limited to IBD standard matches. Individuals whose common segments were below the standard could not be compared. To put it differently, on average individuals more distant than predicted sixth cousins probably could not be compared regarding Sephardic sections (on My Origins, but Gedmatch is more flexible)
            Last edited by josh w.; 31 January 2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I was not suggesting any problem with your analysis. I only meant that at My Origins comparisons were limited to IBD standard matches. Individuals whose common segments were below the standard could not be compared. To put it differently, on average individuals more distant than predicted sixth cousins probably could not be compared regarding Sephardic sections (on My Origins, but Gedmatch is more flexible)
              Stat 101. Type I and Type II errors. Type I- mistaking an IBC segment for an IBD segement. Type II- mistaking an IBD segment for an IBC segment. Most Matching programs are more concerned about a Type I error.

Comment

Stat 101. Type I and Type II errors. Type I- mistaking an IBC segment for an IBD segement. Type II- mistaking an IBD segment for an IBC segment. Most Matching programs are more concerned about a Type I error.
                Amplification---Ftdna's default standard may limit the the number of people available for comparison. However within that group the IBD standard can be liberalized to comparing shorter segments.

Comment

I was reading this and it might be the place to ask what I've been looking for. My admixture is strong for Jewish decent. One range was as high as breaking it down with my origins (my haplogroup also came up an unexpected one)
                  these are just my numbers I won't put countries unless you need them but...I don't know. I am assuming we had a Jewish component among the maternal line.

1 Ashkenazi, 3 Sephardic
                  6 Mizrachi
                  7 Ashkenazi
                  9 Sephardic
                  1 Ashkenazi
                  1 Mizrachi
                  2 Bnei Israel
                  3 Mizrachi
                  1 Mizrachi
                  1 Mizraci
                  1 Ashkenazi
                  3 Ashkenazi
                  5 Sephardic
                  6 Ashkenazi
                  5 Sephardic
                  2 Ashkenazi
                  26 Sephardic
                  11 Ashkenazi
                  15 Ashkenazi
                  1 Sephardic
                  4 Sephardic
                  19 Sephardic
                  1 Mizrachi

That is a lot of Jewish admixture. They span from countries all over the globe. I have one pretty good match in Spain but we might be far off in actual relation but sharing a common ancestor. When my fathers DNA came back there was only 1 Jewish match and mostly he is very straight forward European (if there is such a thing). I'm not sure how to interpret my results in terms of Jewishness. Having those results in those numbers and a fairly big hit (Morocco but again I am reading here about what you say about the Moroccan Jews and how this is all calculated). My family finder is still pending.

Comment

I was also going to type in but my post didn't save is GedMatch isn't uploaded yet. I'm waiting on FF.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbama View Post
                      I was reading this and it might be the place to ask what I've been looking for. My admixture is strong for Jewish decent. One range was as high as breaking it down with my origins (my haplogroup also came up an unexpected one)
                      these are just my numbers I won't put countries unless you need them but...I don't know. I am assuming we had a Jewish component among the maternal line.

1 Ashkenazi, 3 Sephardic
                      6 Mizrachi
                      7 Ashkenazi
                      9 Sephardic
                      1 Ashkenazi
                      1 Mizrachi
                      2 Bnei Israel
                      3 Mizrachi
                      1 Mizrachi
                      1 Mizraci
                      1 Ashkenazi
                      3 Ashkenazi
                      5 Sephardic
                      6 Ashkenazi
                      5 Sephardic
                      2 Ashkenazi
                      26 Sephardic
                      11 Ashkenazi
                      15 Ashkenazi
                      1 Sephardic
                      4 Sephardic
                      19 Sephardic
                      1 Mizrachi

That is a lot of Jewish admixture. They span from countries all over the globe. I have one pretty good match in Spain but we might be far off in actual relation but sharing a common ancestor. When my fathers DNA came back there was only 1 Jewish match and mostly he is very straight forward European (if there is such a thing). I'm not sure how to interpret my results in terms of Jewishness. Having those results in those numbers and a fairly big hit (Morocco but again I am reading here about what you say about the Moroccan Jews and how this is all calculated). My family finder is still pending.
                      What test yielded these results if it was not FF. Listing countries would help. If you have admixture results, what percentage was Jewish.

Comment

I can go back and edit and list all of my countries and percents. My keyboard isn't working right (it needs updated drivers and the settings changed in bios) Spacing is a headache. This was the mt. I did this first in error thinking it would yield more results but what it did yield was more confusing results. Then I went back and purchased the family finder. My results are pending. On the full results I would expect to find probably close to 1/2 European (based on my father and he is fairly certain of his mothers origins). Then I would expect to see 1/4 Native American. The rest of how it will show up, who knows? I don't plan to have my father's mt done anytime soon and we haven't gotten a male from my mothers side to have anything done yet. I can also copy and paste those. I understand everyone is saying mt isn't a good indicator but I read about other people who don't get any such hits, much less unexpectedly in my origins.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbama View Post
                          I can go back and edit and list all of my countries and percents. My keyboard isn't working right (it needs updated drivers and the settings changed in bios) Spacing is a headache. This was the mt. I did this first in error thinking it would yield more results but what it did yield was more confusing results. Then I went back and purchased the family finder. My results are pending. On the full results I would expect to find probably close to 1/2 European (based on my father and he is fairly certain of his mothers origins). Then I would expect to see 1/4 Native American. The rest of how it will show up, who knows? I don't plan to have my father's mt done anytime soon and we haven't gotten a male from my mothers side to have anything done yet. I can also copy and paste those. I understand everyone is saying mt isn't a good indicator but I read about other people who don't get any such hits, much less unexpectedly in my origins.
                          Mtdna does not test for admixture (although it does test for origins), and thus is of limited value for your question. Best to wait for FF.

Comment

the wait is long.....I have had some luck locating ancestors though but still struggling with name changes among them

Comment

how did you guys find out that ftdna was gonna update myorigins

Comment

Originally posted by crossover View Post
                                how did you guys find out that ftdna was gonna update myorigins
                                It started with Razib Khan announcing it in a slideshow presentation last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X