100% European MyOrgins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% European MyOrgins?

Hello, I was curious about MyOrgins results. Is it normal to be 100% European? I was also curious about the Finland and Northern Siberia. I do not think that I have any family from there. Could this be a Native American link possibly? Here are both MyOrgins and Ancestry DNA results.

Western and Central Europe 58%
    British Isles 32%
    Eastern Europe 6%
    Finland and Northern Siberia 4%

Ancestry DNA results

European 99%

Ireland 36%
    Europe West 30%
    Great Britain 17%
    Scandinavia 7%

Trace Regions
    Iberian Peninsula 4%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 3%
    Italy/Greece 2%

West Asia
    Trace Regions

Caucasus 1%

Originally posted by Redsky12 View Post
    Hello, I was curious about MyOrgins results. Is it normal to be 100% European? I was also curious about the Finland and Northern Siberia. I do not think that I have any family from there. Could this be a Native American link possibly? Here are both MyOrgins and Ancestry DNA results.

British Isles 32%
    Eastern Europe 6%

Ancestry DNA results

European 99%

Ireland 36%
    Europe West 30%
    Great Britain 17%
    Scandinavia 7%

Trace Regions
    Iberian Peninsula 4%
    Italy/Greece 2%

West Asia
    Trace Regions

Caucasus 1%
    Why wouldn't it be normal for someone to be 100% European? My FTDNA results show me to be both 100% European and 100% British Isles. I think your Finland and Northern Siberia ancestry may have more to do with Vikings than with Native Americans unless you have reason to believe that you have Amerindian ancestry. Did anyone in your family tell you that you have Native American ancestry?

Comment

Originally posted by Redsky12 View Post

British Isles 32%
      Eastern Europe 6%

Ancestry DNA results

European 99%

Ireland 36%
      Europe West 30%
      Great Britain 17%
      Scandinavia 7%

Trace Regions
      Iberian Peninsula 4%
      Italy/Greece 2%

West Asia
      Trace Regions

Caucasus 1%

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...tion-clusters/
      Finland and Northern Siberia

"The world is not such a wide place at the top and the bottom. The Finland and Northern Siberia cluster began around the arctic as hunter-gatherer peoples. They have carried their genes down to the modern era. The Finland and Northern Siberia cluster stretches from Lappland east to Greenland. Though genetically diverse, the root of many of these populations is a genetic signature found most often in Finnic peoples.

These are the descendants of hunter-gatherers who withstood the push of the farmers. They adapted and flourished in a new age. Like the Bering Expansion, this cluster goes beyond conventional divisions and has clear connections with both east and west. Even the New World is connected to Finland and Northern Siberia due to their shared kinship with ancient Siberia.

Humans were pushed into the deep north only within the last 30,000 years, going where no Neanderthal had dared. With connections to populations in the south, the northerners maintained long term lateral connections and developed a coherence as the ice retreated. Finland and Northern Siberia has its roots with Saami hunters and fishers as well as Uralic, Russian, Swedish, and even Scandinavian ancestries."

Comment

possible origins of Finnish component

If you have known Scandinavian ancestry, the Finnish component might be connected to that. "Forest Finns" were settled in Scandinavia, especially Norway. Also, as far as Sweden goes, those who have are culturally Swedish might have Finnish ancestry. (Both my mother and I get some Finnish percentages on these DNA tests. My great-grandmother immigrated from an area of Sweden that had once been settled by ethnic Finns.) If you have known British North America colonial ancestry, some of your Finnish may be coming from unknown Finnish ancestors who settled New Sweden.

Comment

Gedmatch Family Finder Finnish Cousins

Thanks for the reply. On both Gedmatch and Family Finder shows that I have some cousins from Finland. We all share about 10-50cM. We still have no clue as to who our MRCA might be. Some of these surnames I have never heard about before like Kahelin, Olejnikova, Puolakanaho, Salmesvuori, Remelius, Korosteleva, Hauhio, Hyvätti, Kozikhin, Vihava, Tammisto are just some that I have from Finland? Would any of these surnames might indicate a certain type of region. Like Southern Finland?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinduffy View Post
            Why wouldn't it be normal for someone to be 100% European? My FTDNA results show me to be both 100% European and 100% British Isles. I think your Finland and Northern Siberia ancestry may have more to do with Vikings than with Native Americans unless you have reason to believe that you have Amerindian ancestry. Did anyone in your family tell you that you have Native American ancestry?
            There are only two stories that I am aware of. One is that my 9th great grandfather (paternal tree) married a Native American woman in Prince William County Amherst Virginia in 1680. He did not write any info about her. Her son didn't write any info about his mother as well. For some reason a lot websites suggest that she might have been a Native American.

On my maternal tree there is a 3rd ggrM who was born 1859 in Davenport Iowa. I was told that the family never talked good about her. She was sort of an outcast. My 3rd great grandmother married into the family and they weren't too happy about that. Some of them said that she might have had some Native American ancestry. I read that back in the late 1800s there was a huge Native American reservation with the Fox's and Sac tribes in Davenport Iowa. So it could have been possible that she had ties with them. These are the only 2 stories that I am aware of.
            Last edited by Redsky12; 14 September 2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X