Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Origins changed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    One of my cousins went from 6% Ashkenazi to 4% East European. I was told that the similarities in populations is the issue especially at such small percentages. However, the various Gedmatch tools support the AJ over the EE, and given what I know about the history of the village, the AJ was probably correct.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by vinnie View Post
      One of my cousins went from 6% Ashkenazi to 4% East European. I was told that the similarities in populations is the issue especially at such small percentages. However, the various Gedmatch tools support the AJ over the EE, and given what I know about the history of the village, the AJ was probably correct.
      These are tough calls, as EE is area based and AJ is religious/cultural.

      W. (Mr.)

      Comment


      • #18
        Those are small changes, mine was huge. That is whats getting me. Its not like I went from 4% to 6% its a massive change. So my thinking is how was it off so bad at 1st.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by A.Lock View Post
          Those are small changes, mine was huge. That is whats getting me. Its not like I went from 4% to 6% its a massive change. So my thinking is how was it off so bad at 1st.
          Have you been able to ask anyone from FTDNA how the change could be so great?

          Comment


          • #20
            Was it intentional for a my Origins update or is it due to the reported server software upgrade, why are these genetic sites FTDNA and also 23andme slow to respond with a answer when questions are presented...

            Comment


            • #21
              Origins don't make sense

              My family is very confused with My Origins. It says my brother is 6% Jewish but both my parents have tested (and are a match to my brother) and neither of them have any Jewish. How is that possible?

              In my case it says I am 28% Scandinavia - but my dad has zero and my mom is 18%. How can I be 10% higher than my parents?

              Is there some scientific explanation I'm not finding on this site?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by 600Snowmen View Post
                My family is very confused with My Origins. It says my brother is 6% Jewish but both my parents have tested (and are a match to my brother) and neither of them have any Jewish. How is that possible?

                In my case it says I am 28% Scandinavia - but my dad has zero and my mom is 18%. How can I be 10% higher than my parents?

                Is there some scientific explanation I'm not finding on this site?
                After what happened to my results I would not trust anything it says. I don't understand how my 1st results (which make more sense then the ones now) could have been off so bad that they had to change it in such a dramatic way.
                My fathers family comes from England and I can prove it on paper. My old results stated I was 26% British Isles and now only 13%? I just don't trust the origins no more.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Odis View Post
                  Was it intentional for a my Origins update or is it due to the reported server software upgrade, why are these genetic sites FTDNA and also 23andme slow to respond with a answer when questions are presented...
                  They don't read this forum much. There is a moderator in case things get out of hand.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 600Snowmen View Post
                    My family is very confused with My Origins. It says my brother is 6% Jewish but both my parents have tested (and are a match to my brother) and neither of them have any Jewish. How is that possible?

                    In my case it says I am 28% Scandinavia - but my dad has zero and my mom is 18%. How can I be 10% higher than my parents?

                    Is there some scientific explanation I'm not finding on this site?
                    You can't actually have more of an ethnicity than the combined total of both parents. The algorithm gets confused and it provides amounts that aren't possible.

                    23andme doesn't get confused as often as myOrigins does and if you have both parents tested your amounts are even more refined since they align each half to a parent and they have a split view to see what comes from which parent. It works with just one parent also but not as well.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Got a message from FTDNA and they are looking into what happened with mine.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by dna View Post
                        Having total 99% or 101% is normal. It is not a bug. That happens due to the rules of rounding.

                        For example, if one's population percentages are exactly 68.5% and 31.5%, then when properly (mathematically) rounded they are displayed as 69% and 32%. And that adds up to 101%. In general, 101% could be the total when two population percentages end in .5

                        And with percentages for populations like 23.3%, 33.4%, and 43.3%, they would be displayed as 23%, 33% and 43%, totaling 99%.

                        W. (Mr.)
                        Actually I had to due a remedial class in the 6th Grade because of what you claim. The rule in rounding is, if, for the precision chosen, if it is ends in 5, you dive. So 5 becomes 0. And 0.5000000000000001 becomes 0.6.

                        So if the percentages those computers are spitting out don't add up to 100% then it is related to the limitations of the computer hardware, software, and maybe even incorrect programming.
                        Last edited by B52; 1 August 2015, 03:18 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          They re-ran my FF and said that the new info is the correct one. I was one of the people who tested during the time when they had the shortages and everything was running way behind and kept getting pushed back. Maybe that's what happened? I don't know.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by A.Lock View Post
                            They re-ran my FF and said that the new info is the correct one. I was one of the people who tested during the time when they had the shortages and everything was running way behind and kept getting pushed back. Maybe that's what happened? I don't know.

                            That is strange, isn't it? When I first tested with 23andMe (under the V3 chip) I showed 5% Italian. When they switched to the V4 chip my results were updated; the Italian vanished and was replaced with .1% Subsaharan African in the Speculative view. Then my son tested with 23andMe and my results changed again so that the .1% Subsaharan African was in all the values.

                            My sister-in-law tested with .5% Subsaharan African under the V3 chip at 23andMe, but when it changed to the V4 chip her results changed to .1% Japanese! My wife shows .1% Native American, so I think the Japanese really should be Native American. However, their cousins still show the .5% Subsaharan African.

                            Who knows? But with GEDmatch I can see that I really do have some African and my wife & her sister really do have some Native American.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I am enrolled and I can prove I am muscogee on paper and have tons of documentation to prove the fact. Despite that guy armondo saying he thinks I am just a white guy.
                              I show 100% European but when I e-mailed the company and showed my proof they said that I am Native American but it doesn't show in my genetics. I find that to be very odd and it confuses me. I don't trust my origins. And do yourself a favor, ignore anything that armondo guy says, he pissed me off. lol

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by A.Lock View Post
                                I am enrolled and I can prove I am muscogee on paper and have tons of documentation to prove the fact. Despite that guy armondo saying he thinks I am just a white guy.
                                Have you downloaded your results to GEDmatch? They have many tools & features which allow you to explore your DNA results in more depth. There is even a tool, Eurogenes V2 K15, that was specifically created to detect Native American in North American people.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X