My Origins Ashkenazi Jewish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromo2 Ashkenazi

On Irelands DNA Chromo2 Ashkenazi results were, my sister 9%, myself 5% and my father 0%. My mother was not tested. On FTDNA and 23andMe the results were 0% for all 3 of us. How does the Chromo2 test compare with other companies in Ashkenazi results?

Comment

My great grandfather was 100% Ashkenazi. My other 7 great grandparents were of British descent. MyOrigins detects no Ashkenazi ancestry yet I have hundreds of matches Ashkenazic Jewish matches, as one would expect. I get 8.5% Ashkenazi on JTest which is spot on. I'm surprised that MyOrigins doesn't pick up my Jewish ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by siroli View Post
        My great grandfather was 100% Ashkenazi. My other 7 great grandparents were of British descent. MyOrigins detects no Ashkenazi ancestry yet I have hundreds of matches Ashkenazic Jewish matches, as one would expect. I get 8.5% Ashkenazi on JTest which is spot on. I'm surprised that MyOrigins doesn't pick up my Jewish ancestry.
        Yes. At this point I do not have too much confidence in My Origins. What does Oracle show. It is possible that re combination produced close to 0% Ashkenazi at MO

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
          Yes. At this point I do not have too much confidence in My Origins. What does Oracle show. It is possible that re combination produced close to 0% Ashkenazi at MO
          Oracle shows 87.8% Cornish (primary population) and 12.2% AJ (secondary). I took a closer look at MyOrigins - I get 95% European and 6% (yes, 6%!) Middle Eastern (Asia Minor). Most perculiar

Comment

Siroli, last year I contacted one of my paternal grandmother's closest match on FF. Their relationship prediction is of 2nd-4th cousins. Grandma is mainly of Portuguese descent. Her match replied saying she was a Hungarian Jew. Both of her parents were Ashkenazim and perished in the holocaust. So, after the war she made Aliyah to Israel. Surprisingly, on MyOrigins this lady is 98% European and 2% African.

Another curiosity is that on MyOrigins my grandma is 6% Eastern Middle East
            Last edited by Illumina; 19th June 2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Oracle shows 87.8% Cornish (primary population) and 12.2% AJ (secondary). I took a closer look at MyOrigins - I get 95% European and 6% (yes, 6%!) Middle Eastern (Asia Minor). Most perculiar
              Sometimes Sephardic Jews show Asia Minor. However Asia Minor is not equivalent to Jewish ancestry

Comment

Hi all,

I’m a Turkish guy from Istanbul. I had some ashkenazi percentages from different companies which varies from %0 to %16. My question is how can ashkenazi results can vary that much? I have no any known jewish ancestor so I didn’t take it serious when I saw %4,5 Ashkenazi at myheritage at first, then I uploaded my raw data to gedmatch and it was %6,3 ashkenazi at jtest, then uploaded to dna.land and it was %16 ashkenazi at there. Finally I got %0 ashkenazi at FTDNA but surprisingly had %7 east european. As far as I read from the forums an ashkenazi gets thousands of matches which I don’t have. I have only 207 matches, some of them have ashkenazi surnames but not the majority. And when I sort according shared cm, highest is an ashkenazi with 69cM(longest 8cM). I know these are not very strong matches but still makes me wonder if these results are just noise or sign of a very distant ancestor?

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post

Just a warning that I don't want to get bogged down into this "Am I Jewish?" question with everybody like people seem to expect on Gedmatch which I am quickly tiring of. I posted general parameters for what I have seen by analyzing hundreds of kits using Jtest and from what others have told us, but the rest of the work is up to you. As the owners of your kits, only you can see what kinds of people you match (surnames and locations), what most distant ancestors' names they show on their profile screen, how many In Common With they share with you, what ancestries are predicted in their MyOrigins, what Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups they have.
                  Keep in mind Khazaria that the question of Jewish heritage is quite important to some people. Spain and Portugal have offered citizenship to people who can show Jewish ancestry from those countries. And for some people that can be a ticket out of poverty.

I do wonder about the Jewish stats here at FTDNA. And for the record I'm not referring in particular to my own situation.

I am curious to know what percentage of people who have tested at FTDNA have some Jewish background? The reason I ask is selection bias. In the normal American population I would expect something under 5% of the population would have that heritage. But if, for reputational or other reasons FTDNA's customers are, to a very high percentage, of Jewish extraction, then other customers who test are more likely to end of with Jewish matches and thus think they have Jewish heritage.

For example I saw some matches in North Africa (Algeria, Tunisia etc) where not many people had tested with FTDNA but of the ones that had there were lots with notes saying they were Ashkhenazi, Sephardic etc.

My suspicion is that a disproportionately high percentage of North African FTDNA customers have Jewish ancestry, at least for mitochondrial dna.

cheers Peter
                  Last edited by ffhound; 14th October 2019, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X