Western and Central Europe 7%
    Southern Europe 2%
    ----New World
    Native American 11%
    ----East Asian
    Northeast Asia 6%
    ----Central/South Asian 2%
    Central Asia 2%

How do I have more Finland and Northern Siberia than BOTH of them combined?

The methodology for ascribing ethnic origins to a DNA sample appears to be an extremely blunt instrument at this time. What's missing from the results, as far as I am aware, is any statement of the margin of error for the reported percentages. If the margin of error were known, I suspect this sort of anomaly would be found to be statistically insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
      The methodology for ascribing ethnic origins to a DNA sample appears to be an extremely blunt instrument at this time. What's missing from the results, as far as I am aware, is any statement of the margin of error for the reported percentages. If the margin of error were known, I suspect this sort of anomaly would be found to be statistically insignificant.
      And a large footnote, that said ethnic origins predate historical records for almost everybody (sans possibly some royal families) who tested at FTDNA.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
        This makes it a pretty big % of error of at least 6% give or take. I thought they were supposed to be closer than that since most people say to ignore the relevance of below 1% outcomes. Other than me wanting to believe their info is correct in some ways, FTDNA may as well just say "here is your info from many many years ago in prehistory...100% African"

Overall I am satisfied but saying that I have 7% of something compared to the 1% my father and mother combined is a bit more than a slim margin of error. Especially when there are large percentages of his other origins that didn't even show up with mine (given I know it is not all 50/50..just odd British Isles didn't even show).

Comment

Working...
        X