Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Masterson
    replied
    My maternal grandmother's mother and father came to the USA from Sweden. My 23andme results came back showing 0.3% Ashkenazi. On my paternal side, my father came to the USA from Ireland. I've assumed that the Ashkenazi link originates on my Mother's side. The Ashkenazi link might also explain a medical condition I was diagnosed with several years which occurs primarily in Ashkenazi men and some from the "Mediterranean." ftdna results suggest a 20% Scandinavian make-up; Ancestry estimates 24% Scandinavian and 23andme 9.4%.
    Last edited by Bill Masterson; 1 June 2015, 09:56 AM. Reason: Additional material added.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Originally posted by John Doe View Post
    I just looked at My Origins again, turns out that, when viewing my most distant paternal ancestors option, I saw 2 popups in peculiar places, besides the understood popups en masse in Germany and Poland, 1 was in northern Denmark and another in southern Norway, just south of Oslo. It seems like this Scandinavian ancestry is from my paternal side, probably from around a 150-200 years ago.
    The Danish Empire once controlled northern Germany and Pomerania in Poland but that was more than 200 years ago. Of course, there could have been individual movement within Scandinavia, Germany and Poland.

Leave a comment:

• John Doe
    replied
    I just looked at My Origins again, turns out that, when viewing my most distant paternal ancestors option, I saw 2 popups in peculiar places, besides the understood popups en masse in Germany and Poland, 1 was in northern Denmark and another in southern Norway, just south of Oslo. It seems like this Scandinavian ancestry is from my paternal side, probably from around a 150-200 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• John Doe
    replied
    Originally posted by josh w. View Post
    I hope it is clear that your situation is not that common but it is hardly unique. One of my Norwegian AJ matches is from Galicia. For parity's sake the other match was a Litvak.
    Thanks, I hope I'll one day be able to confirm this Scandinavian ancestry, and perhaps trace it to a specific generation, though I can assume 4% equates to a great great grandparent or a 3x great grandparent.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Thanks. As I literally have no idea where my father's ancestors came from in Germany and Poland, it's possible they were in the north of those countries. As for my mother's family, they almost all came either fromm central or southeast Poland.
    I hope it is clear that your situation is not that common but it is hardly unique. One of my Norwegian AJ matches is from Galicia. For parity's sake the other match was a Litvak.

Leave a comment:

• John Doe
    replied
    There were many Scandinavians in both Germany and Poland, especially in the north. Intermarriage was clearly possible.
    Of course, Jews married Christians in Scandinavia, e.g. Niels Bohr's family and Dorrit Moussaieff, the first lady of Iceland. My youngest daughter's maternal line is from a rural fjord in western Norway. The town can only be reached by ferry. I recently discovered two separate FF Ashkenazi matches from the same fjord.
    Thanks. As I literally have no idea where my father's ancestors came from in Germany and Poland, it's possible they were in the north of those countries. As for my mother's family, they almost all came either fromm central or southeast Poland.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    I don't know the answers to your questions. I expect the percentage with some Scandinavian is not very high. My kids are at least partially Scandinavian on their maternal side. My daughter jokingly classifies herself as a Nordic Litvak and we have noted others with a similar background.. Have you been Mtdna tested. I know there are a couple of Mtdna J subclades shared by AJs and FinnoScandians. The presumption being that the lines entered the Jewish population from local 'host' countries.
    There were many Scandinavians in both Germany and Poland, especially in the north. Intermarriage was clearly possible.
    Of course, Jews married Christians in Scandinavia, e.g. Niels Bohr's family and Dorrit Moussaieff, the first lady of Iceland. My youngest daughter's maternal line is from a rural fjord in western Norway. The town can only be reached by ferry. I recently discovered two separate FF Ashkenazi matches from the same fjord.
    Last edited by josh w.; 13 April 2015, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    I'm a full AJ as far as I know, with ancestry from Germany and Poland. On 23andme on speculative I got 0.3% Scandinavian and now on FTDNA I get 4% Scandinavian. How common/uncommon this is among AJs? And does 4% qualify as representing recent (within the last 500 years) Scandinavian ancestry?

P.S I share with at least one Scandinavian with the surname of Jensen, though he might have AJ ancestry.
    I don't know the answers to your questions. I expect the percentage with some Scandinavian is not very high. My kids are at least partially Scandinavian on their maternal side. My daughter jokingly classifies herself as a Nordic Litvak and we have noted others with a similar background.. Have you been Mtdna tested. I know there are a couple of Mtdna J subclades shared by AJs and FinnoScandians. The presumption being that the lines entered the Jewish population from local 'host' countries.

Leave a comment:

• John Doe
    started a topic Ashkenzi Jewish with 4% Scandinavian

Ashkenzi Jewish with 4% Scandinavian

I'm a full AJ as far as I know, with ancestry from Germany and Poland. On 23andme on speculative I got 0.3% Scandinavian and now on FTDNA I get 4% Scandinavian. How common/uncommon this is among AJs? And does 4% qualify as representing recent (within the last 500 years) Scandinavian ancestry?

P.S I share with at least one Scandinavian with the surname of Jensen, though he might have AJ ancestry.
Working...
X