Ashkenzi Jewish with 4% Scandinavian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
    I should have been more explicit. People in northern Poland could have migrated further south.
    That is always a possibility for some families. However, for centuries, the prevailing migration pattern within Poland was to northern Poland (likely due to difficult conditions for agriculture there).

And similarly(?), due to very favourable conditions for agriculture in many areas of southern-eastern Poland (current borders) that region was a net source of migrants over many centuries.

W. (Mr.)
    Last edited by dna; 22 July 2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

As we've previously discussed, some Ashkenazim and some Poles have scored minority percentages of "Scandinavian" DNA in MyOrigins even though they have no recent identical-by-descent sharing with full Scandinavians (but do with each other). New data has come to light that confirms Lawrence Mayka's explanation that I had quoted.

A paper by G. Athanasiadis, J. Cheng, et al. called "Nationwide genomic study in Denmark reveals remarkable population homogeneity" to be presented at a meeting hosted by the European Society of Human Genetics in 2016 contains this sentence in its abstract: "Notwithstanding Denmark’s homogeneity, we observed a clear signal of Polish admixture in the East of the country, coinciding with historical Polish settlements in the region before the Middle Ages."

MyOrigins' reference population for "Scandinavian" includes 13 Danes, in addition to Swedish and Norwegian samples.

Ashkenazim aren't part-Danish or part-Swedish, but are part-Polish.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
        As we've previously discussed, some Ashkenazim and some Poles have scored minority percentages of "Scandinavian" DNA in MyOrigins even though they have no recent identical-by-descent sharing with full Scandinavians (but do with each other). New data has come to light that confirms Lawrence Mayka's explanation that I had quoted.

A paper by G. Athanasiadis, J. Cheng, et al. called "Nationwide genomic study in Denmark reveals remarkable population homogeneity" to be presented at a meeting hosted by the European Society of Human Genetics in 2016 contains this sentence in its abstract: "Notwithstanding Denmark’s homogeneity, we observed a clear signal of Polish admixture in the East of the country, coinciding with historical Polish settlements in the region before the Middle Ages."

MyOrigins' reference population for "Scandinavian" includes 13 Danes, in addition to Swedish and Norwegian samples.

Ashkenazim aren't part-Danish or part-Swedish, but are part-Polish.
        My point was that there are many possibilities, e.g. two way trade migration from Poland to Sweden. The Gothic tribes began near the Polish German border and later spread all over Scandinavia. This view is not incompatible with historical south to north migration within Poland.
        Last edited by josh w.; 4 May 2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

My point was that there are many possibilities, e.g. two way trade migration from Poland to Sweden. The Gothic tribes began near the Polish German border and later spread all over Scandinavia. This view is not incompatible with historical south to north migration within Poland.
          I meant that a minority of migrants could have spread from north to south Poland.

Comment

There are other possibilities. Scandinavians once controlled parts of northern Poland. Also there has been two way sea trade between Sweden and northern Poland.
            As this earlier post noted, Poles could have migrated to Sweden. Dna also noted migration from the north (and other areas) to Galicia
            Last edited by josh w.; 4 May 2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

As this earlier post noted, Poles could have migrated to Sweden. Dna also noted migration from the north (and other areas) to Galicia
              Since the original question dealt with MO rather than FF matches, ancient history cannot be ruled out. The Scandinavian Vandals were in southern Poland before they invaded Rome. Again, my point is that with low Scandinavian percentages there is more than one possibility even if some are more likely.

Comment

MyOrigins 2.0 released on April 4, 2017 corrected the problem with false Scandinavian results that had appeared for me and my parents. It is now classified correctly as East Europe.

New estimates are:

me: 97% Ashkenazi Jewish, less than 2% East Europe, less than 2% Central Asia (noise, this element isn't found in either of my parents), 0% Sephardi Jewish (actually I have a little over 1%), 0% Scandinavian

mom: 93% Ashkenazi Jewish, 5% East Europe, less than 2% Sephardi Jewish, 0% Scandinavian, 0% Central Asia

dad: 95% Ashkenazi Jewish, 4% East Europe, less than 2% West Middle East (Levant region), 0% Sephardi Jewish (actually he has nearly 1%), 0% Scandinavian, 0% Central Asia

Comment

The thread starter's false Scandinavian score also disappeared. He wrote to Anthrogenica today that his new estimates are 99% Ashkenazi and less than 2% West and Central Europe.

Comment

MyOrigins 3.0
                    As of September 22, 2020
                    Me: 98% Ashkenazi Jewish, less than 2% West Slavic
                    My dad: 99% Ashkenazi Jewish, less than 1% Baltic
                    My mom: 99% Ashkenazi Jewish, less than 1% Central Europe, less than 1% Sephardic Jewish

So the Polish elements are identified differently for each of us this time. Their map does show that they believe western Poland is part of their Central Europe cluster's coverage.
                    As expected, we did not score anything in their East Slavic, Magyar, and Scandinavian categories.

Comment

Working...
                    X