Native DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robertalabama View Post
    NCroots, you mentioned that the name "Amos" is in your Lee family?
    Her Amos Lee was born in 1823 in Lenoir Co, NC and died aft 1881 in the Wooodington area of Lenoir Co, NC. His parents were David Lee & Betsy Gray. I don't know anything about David Lee, but Betsy Gray's parents were Tommie Gray & Polly Blythe (Polly was said to have been born in Holland, but I don't think this is correct. Amos was married to 1) Dicey Herring 2) Nancy Ann Goodson and 3) Martha Stroud Tyndall.

Comment

This one is my gggg grandfather (b 1761, lived in Union Co, SC): The early stuff someone tries to link to a "Leigh" family seems speculative at best (Lee DNA project has not shown any matches to anyone with that spelling), but the name Amos is used a good bit in this family. There were so many Lee families that it's tough to figure out.

Comment

The name "Leigh" pops up in Medieval lines. I've seen it in Berkshire and Gloucestershire, or similar, in just one line I've been tracing. It seems to be used as a (local) location-type indicator, or hyphenated with another name.

Comment

I was told that FTDNA does not have any Native (USA & CANADA) samples to compare to, and thus many are lumped via algorithm with Asian and some Fin & Siberian DNA groups;
          I am 2% South/Central ASIAN?? (Could this be Native DNA?)
          with in that I am 2% Central ASIAN (Again could this be Native DNA?)
          I am 98% European (not too surprised lol)
          -within that I am 50% Central and Western European
          -I am 46% British Isles
          -I am 2% Finland and Northern Siberia.
          ---
          I have documented papertrail ancestry from a few Canadian First Nations people (Likely Mi'Kmaq) from the 1600s; who through male and female descendants mtDNA and Ydna results have been proven to be Native.
          There is also family lore via my mother's side that a 2nd Great Grandfather of mine was half French and Half Mi'Kmaq.
          And even further back on my Mom's side there is a debate in the genealogical community about an ancestor (again 1600s) who may or may not have been Narragansett and Wampanoag (from R.I. & MA; USA).
          So with having 2% Central/South Asian DNA AND 2% Finland and Northern Siberia DNA I am curious if that could actually be 4% Native DNA?
          And either way; how far back would 2% be? I have a friend who also has documented (from 1600s) Native Ancestry and correlating DNA results confirming this; and she is .2% Native....makes me curious if the family lore about my 2nd Great Grandfather is true?

Comment

Amerindian Ancestry

Originally posted by LadyAlaise View Post
            I was told that FTDNA does not have any Native (USA & CANADA) samples to compare to, and thus many are lumped via algorithm with Asian and some Fin & Siberian DNA groups;
            I am 2% South/Central ASIAN?? (Could this be Native DNA?)
            with in that I am 2% Central ASIAN (Again could this be Native DNA?)
            I am 98% European (not too surprised lol)
            -within that I am 50% Central and Western European
            -I am 46% British Isles
            -I am 2% Finland and Northern Siberia.
            ---
            I have documented papertrail ancestry from a few Canadian First Nations people (Likely Mi'Kmaq) from the 1600s; who through male and female descendants mtDNA and Ydna results have been proven to be Native.
            There is also family lore via my mother's side that a 2nd Great Grandfather of mine was half French and Half Mi'Kmaq.
            And even further back on my Mom's side there is a debate in the genealogical community about an ancestor (again 1600s) who may or may not have been Narragansett and Wampanoag (from R.I. & MA; USA).
            So with having 2% Central/South Asian DNA AND 2% Finland and Northern Siberia DNA I am curious if that could actually be 4% Native DNA?
            And either way; how far back would 2% be? I have a friend who also has documented (from 1600s) Native Ancestry and correlating DNA results confirming this; and she is .2% Native....makes me curious if the family lore about my 2nd Great Grandfather is true?
            The best publicly-available admixture tools for estimating Amerindian ancestry can be found on the (free) GEDmatch website. The consensus over there seems to be that Eurogenes K13 is the most accurate, followed by HDLP-World and Dodecad-World9. Eurogenes K9b is recommended by some, but seems to give an inflated estimate. (That may be why some prefer it.) You should consider downloading your raw Family Finder data from FTDNA and uploading it to GEDmatch.

Comment

I tried to download; apparently not everything from my FF test is in yet (I can only view my Origins (ethnic make up) results.... but definitely plan on uploading to Gedmatch when I can

Comment

Originally posted by hfp43 View Post
                The consensus over there seems to be that Eurogenes K13 is the most accurate
                Eurogenes K13 is unreliable when Amerindian scores are under about 1.7%. Some examples I know of:

1.62% Amerindian = false score for an Ashkenazi
                1.38% Amerindian = false score for another Ashkenazi
                1.37% Amerindian = false score for another Ashkenazi
                0.51% Amerindian = false score for an Ashkenazi with predicted small East Slavic admixture
                0.08% Amerindian = false score for myself (Ashkenazi + small Sephardic and Subcarpathian Polish admixtures)
                0.31% Amerindian = false score for one of my Subcarpathian Polish matches
                Last edited by khazaria; 23 May 2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
                  Eurogenes K13 is unreliable when Amerindian scores are under about 1.7%. Some examples I know of:

1.62% Amerindian = false score for an Ashkenazi
                  1.38% Amerindian = false score for another Ashkenazi
                  1.37% Amerindian = false score for another Ashkenazi
                  0.51% Amerindian = false score for an Ashkenazi with predicted small East Slavic admixture
                  0.08% Amerindian = false score for myself (Ashkenazi + small Sephardic and Subcarpathian Polish admixtures)
                  0.31% Amerindian = false score for one of my Subcarpathian Polish matches
                  Ashkenazi aren't the only people that get noise of up to 2% from the Gedmatch calculators. People born and raised in western Europe without Jewish ancestry also get up to 2% of false Native American at Gedmatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                    Ashkenazi aren't the only people that get noise of up to 2% from the Gedmatch calculators. People born and raised in western Europe without Jewish ancestry also get up to 2% of false Native American at Gedmatch.
                    What if the percentage is under 2 percent, but "approximately consistent" across K13, MDLP-World, Dodecad-World9, and HarappaWorld?

Comment

What if the percentage is under 2 percent, but "approximately consistent" across K13, MDLP-World, Dodecad-World9, and HarappaWorld?
                      The Ashkenazi I listed with the 1.37% false Amerindian score in Eurogenes K13 shows a 1.17% false American score in HarappaWorld, a 0.79% false Mesoamerican score (but zero Arctic-Amerind) in MDLP-World, and a false 1.49% Amerindian score in Dodecad World9. World9's mixed mode gives crude best-fit attempts that often don't match reality and in this case suggests he's a South Italian or a Sicilian plus around a percent and a half of Latin American Indigenous ancestry. The Amerindian is all noise for him.

Comment

If they also get 2% at Ancestry.com and 23andme then it's extremely likely to be real. If they get and older generation to test and they are 4% or more then it is real.

Comment

If they also get 2% at Ancestry.com and 23andme then it's extremely likely to be real. If they get and older generation to test and they are 4% or more then it is real.
                          Just as a point of reference, I personally get about 1.3% Amerindian with K13, MDLP-World, Dodecad-World9 and HarappaWorld ... and about 1.74% with K9b. My known ancestry is about 31% French-Canadian, 31% "British" (English, Scots-Irish), 25% Irish, and 13% "Germanic" (eastern Netherlands, western Germany). In general, the early French-Canadian males had a fair degree of admix with Native females, but I have not been able to find any documented Native ancestors in my own tree, going back to the early 16th century.

Comment

Just as a point of reference, I personally get about 1.3% Amerindian with K13, MDLP-World, Dodecad-World9 and HarappaWorld ... and about 1.74% with K9b. My known ancestry is about 31% French-Canadian, 31% "British" (English, Scots-Irish), 25% Irish, and 13% "Germanic" (eastern Netherlands, western Germany). In general, the early French-Canadian males had a fair degree of admix with Native females, but I have not been able to find any documented Native ancestors in my own tree, going back to the early 16th century.
                            The 1.3%-1.74% Amerindian at Gedmatch is still most likely noise unless you get it at Ancestry or 23andme as stated in my previous post.

Comment

The 1.3%-1.74% Amerindian at Gedmatch is still most likely noise unless you get it at Ancestry or 23andme as stated in my previous post.
                              I agree. (And I meant to say early 17th century.)

Comment

A
                                Upload your file to www.gedmatch.com and see what you get with the admixture tools then add the Amerindian, East Asian, and Siberian. Those calculators do a lot better with Native American than FTDNA myOrigins.
                                OK, now I am really confused. Especially with your email to me about my N.A. consistency at Gedmatch, and their problems with methodology...??

Comment

Working...
                                X