Native DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native DNA

It will be interesting to see what my origin shows when my FF is done. I have a lot of Native blood (not stories) and will laugh if mine shows 100% euro. I have no idea what my actual % would be as I have native blood from many lines.

There are a huge number of people that think that they have enough Native American DNA that it should show yet it doesn't show up in DNA tests at any of the companies. I won't be surprised if you turn out to be one of those people.

It's funny how some Hispanics think that they shouldn't have any Native American DNA yet it does show up and non-Hispanics think they should yet it doesn't show up.

If you do have Native American ancestry it will definitely show up but to see the correct percentage you will have to upload to Gedmatch. The NA gets divided up into Native American. Northeast Asian, and Siberian at FTDNA at a much higher level that at the other companies and at Gedmatch.
    Last edited by Armando; 9 March 2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Oh I am Native American, I got it from both parents so if it does not show I would be surprised.

My grandparents pictures,

Comment

I saw somewhere a map of the population sources for one of the calculators. None of the NA groups included were from the US. All but one group was south of the border (including S America) ... maybe that's why more Hispanics show NA percentages and others don't ...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
          I saw somewhere a map of the population sources for one of the calculators. None of the NA groups included were from the US. All but one group was south of the border (including S America) ... maybe that's why more Hispanics show NA percentages and others don't ...
          I have seen several people with Native American ancestry from north of the U.S. border with Mexico that have shown to have Native American ancestry so I know that it does show up in them also. The difference between Hispanics and people from the U.S. and Mexico is that in Latin American there was a lot of mixing since 1492 and there aren't reservations in Latin America which where the highest amount of Native American ancestry exists in the U.S. and the people on the reservations refuse to get DNA tests. If you don't take into consideration of all factors causing the difference then you get an erroneous causation.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            There are a huge number of people that think that they have enough Native American DNA that it should show yet it doesn't show up in DNA tests at any of the companies. I won't be surprised if you turn out to be one of those people.

It's funny how some Hispanics think that they shouldn't have any Native American DNA yet it does show up and non-Hispanics think they should yet it doesn't show up.

If you do have Native American ancestry it will definitely show up but to see the correct percentage you will have to upload to Gedmatch. The NA gets divided up into Native American. Northeast Asian, and Siberian at FTDNA at a much higher level that at the other companies and at Gedmatch.
            What test would you recommend there? I am just getting used to the site and was surprised with what little was shown I had. My grandfather was full blooded Mohawk. I have photos, history, pictures etc. I figured they may be some diluting it from way back but not as much as I found. I almost thought they mixed up tests or something.

94% European with
            62% West and Cent. Europe
            13% Scandinavia
            12% Eastern Europe
            7% Finland and Northern Siberia

New World
            5% Native American

Central/South Asian
            2% Central Asia

I see they have several different projects and several processes. What is the best mix for the Native American. figured I should be around 25% Mohawk (native am. ) and 25% Hungarian as my Mohawk Grandfather married my Grandmother who both parents came from Hungary and were Magyar. Any suggestions?

Comment

Have you received your results A.Lock?

Comment

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                What test would you recommend there? I am just getting used to the site and was surprised with what little was shown I had. My grandfather was full blooded Mohawk. I have photos, history, pictures etc. I figured they may be some diluting it from way back but not as much as I found. I almost thought they mixed up tests or something.

94% European with
                13% Scandinavia
                12% Eastern Europe

New World
                5% Native American

Central/South Asian
                2% Central Asia

I see they have several different projects and several processes. What is the best mix for the Native American. figured I should be around 25% Mohawk (native am. ) and 25% Hungarian as my Mohawk Grandfather married my Grandmother who both parents came from Hungary and were Magyar. Any suggestions?
                Your grandfather was mixed but he definitely had Native American ancestry. Some or all of your Northern Siberia is also from your Native American ancestry. Just one to three more generations and the Native American DNA will likely be lost forever.

Gedmatch is free and most of the calculators there will provide a result within about 1% of each other. Your actual amount will be somewhere between the max and minimum there.

23andme is also good at identifying the Native American ancestry.
                Last edited by Armando; 25 March 2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Your grandfather was mixed but he definitely had Native American ancestry. Some or all of your Northern Siberia is also from your Native American ancestry. Just one to three more generations and the Native American DNA will likely be lost forever.

Gedmatch is free and most of the calculators there will provide a result within about 1% of each other. Your actual amount will be somewhere between the max and minimum there.

23andme is also good at identifying the Native American ancestry.
                  Thanks for the info. Sadly, I wanted 23andme but alas, I am in Maryland and they do not allow us to .

If anyone else has some feedback as well, I love as much as I can get. I am a data person, hence trying to learn about the DNA.

Comment

Some or all of your Northern Siberia is also from your Native American ancestry. Just one to three more generations and the Native American DNA will likely be lost forever.
                    My wife has a small amount of Native American ancestry (Tuscarora Indian) and she shows a lot of matches with far eastern Siberian populations on GEDmatch. Our son shows no Native on 23andMe and just trace amounts on GEDmatch. Likewise, I have some Subsaharan African from my mother's side, but it does not show in my son's results on 23andMe. He is 100% European on 23andMe, but his GEDmatch does show some West African. I highly recommend GEDmatch for gaining greater insights into your DNA results.

Comment

Originally posted by DanD View Post

94% European with
                      13% Scandinavia
                      12% Eastern Europe

New World
                      5% Native American

Central/South Asian
                      2% Central Asia

well what others on this fourm have said, native dna is a weak point for ftdna. sometimes they'll mistake certain native dna segments as being finland/siberia, east asian etc. and possibly cental/south asian as well.

Comment

So this is a shock..
                        98% European
                        -35% Scandinavia
                        -26% Southern Europe (Darkest over Italy)
                        -26% British Isles (SHOCKED SO LOW!)
                        -11% Eastern Europe
                        -1% Central Asian

How do I show no Native DNA when my grandfather was 3/4 and my family are enrolled members of the Creek nation?!?!

Comment

Here are pictures of my grandfather and his parents and grand parents, and one of my ancestors from my moms side. None are white..

Above is my grandfather and his friend.

Another picture of my Grandfather Bob Lock

My great grandmother (Full blood) Bobs Mom

My great great grandfather Ben Poston (Many documents and tons of proof that he was full blood)

My great great grandma Rebecca Ayers

My great great grandmother Phereby

Comment

So HOW am I 98% European?!?

Comment

This is a picture of me, do I look 98% European?

Comment

Working...
                              X