No announcement yet.

Please post your ftdna "My Origins" results for comparison:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greg: Some people have taken their results over to Gedmatch and run their DNA through the ethnicity predictors over there.

I'm 100% European here a FTDNA with that subdivided into Western/Central Europe 57% and Scandinavia 43%. It justs means that the lab samples that FTDNA ran my DNA against doesn't show up specific markers that say someone with a very strong British Isles, or Eastern European shows. Over at Ancestry, I have a stronger DNA indicator for the British Isles. Take the ethnicity results from any place with a large grain of salt.

Comment

On paper, I would be 25% Italian, 12.5% Norwegian, and the rest somehow divided between British and German (I have multiple branches of each on both sides so impossible to divide them accurately).

myOrigins results:

European 83%
      -Scandinavian 34%
      -Western and Central Europe 26%
      -Southern European 20%
      -Finland and Northern Siberia 3%

Middle Eastern 17%
      -Asia Minor 12%
      -Eastern Middle East 5%

In comparison with AncestryDNA and 23andMe:

AncestryDNA:

Africa < 1%
      -Africa North< 1%

Asia < 1%
      -Asia South< 1%

Europe 95%
      -Great Britain 55%
      -Italy/Greece 31%
      -Europe West 5%
      -Scandinavia 2%
      -Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
      -Ireland < 1%

West Asia 3%
      -Caucasus 2%
      -Middle East 1%

23andMe:

99.7% European

Northern European
      17.4% French & German
      16.7% British & Irish
      4.6% Scandinavian
      24.3% Broadly Northern European

Southern European
      18.9% Italian
      0.1% Iberian
      9.3% Broadly Southern European

8.5% Broadly European

0.1% Middle Eastern & North African
      0.1% North African
      0.1% Unassigned

So even the experts can't agree on how to split up my British and German DNA! But at least they all agree I'm 63% Northern European. 23andMe is most accurate for me, then AncestryDNA, and lastly FTDNA (0% British Isles when I have many British lines - I get that there's some overlap with British and Germanic areas but come on, it's hugely misleading).

Comment

MyOrigins results

British Isles 58%
        Western and Central Europe 18%
        Scandinavia 12%
        Southern Europe 11%
        Finland and Northern Siberia 2%

Paternal line - Scottish.
        Maternal Line - English.
        Paper records only to c1850.

Only a year ago I had Druze\Bedouin. Seem to have changed their minds about that or it is now incorporated into Southern Europe, which appears to include North Africa.

Not surprised by any of it and I doubt if this will help the OP.

Comment

European 97%

British Isles 31%
          Southern Europe 29%
          Eastern Europe 25%
          Scandinavian 12%
          Middle Eastern 2%

On paper I have found my 9th grandfather (French Man), But at that time it was the Spanish, Netherlands, and a 10th grandmother that was Belgium. My grandfather is from Bulgaria..
          I really don't know anything other than this..if someone would like to figure it out for me that be great! I'm still waiting on my mtdna.
          Last edited by Bolverka; 19th January 2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Confused about my FTDNA results

On paper I should be mostly of English (some Scottish) origin, plus a large amount of German, some French/Dutch (New Amsterdam era) and a tiny bit of Irish. I do suspect some Eastern European heritage from my German side as my Grandmother's family was from the part of Prussia that is currently Poland.

These are my FTDNA MyOrigins results:

99% European

40% Scandinavia
            35% British Isles
            24% Southern Europe
            (not sure where my other 1% is... not listed

I am very confused by this result, at lease as far as my own paper trail is concerned.

My Ancestry ethnicity estimate (countries of orgin in my family tree in parenthesis):

45% Great Britain (England, Scotland)
            41% Europe West (Germany, France, The Netherlands, Switzerland)
            10% Europe East (guessing from my Prussian lines)
            3% Finland/Northwest Russia
            <1% Italy/Greece
            <1% Irish (although I have several Irish ancestors I believe they are mostly Scots Irish, which shows up under the Great Britain category)

This very closely matches my actual family tree research so far.

My GedMatch Eurogene K15:

# Population Percent
            1 North_Sea 35.18
            2 Atlantic 26.96
            3 Baltic 11.33
            4 West_Med 11.11
            5 Eastern_Euro 8.2
            6 West_Asian 3
            7 Red_Sea 2.11

This also seems to follow pretty closely with my actual family tree.

I know everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but
            I am very surprised that I got no Western or Eastern Europe in my FTDNA results and am extremely surprised by the large amount of Southern European. I can only imagine the Scandinavian is attributed to influences in my British and German lines as I have absolutely no documented Scandinavian ancestors in the last 12 generations that I can find. Interesting.

Comment

Just Received my daughters results. Her ancestry is Portuguese from the Azores Islands.

55% Southern Europe
              29% Western & Central Europe
              09% British Isles
              05% North Africa
              02% Eastern Middle East
              01% West Africa

Comment

My Origin results:

100% European:
                Scandinavian: 83%
                Finland & Northern Siberia 10%
                Western and central Europe 7%

I think that Finland & Northern Siberia is surprisingly high because I have only 1 known ancestor from Finland who emigrated to Sweden around 1550.

Comment

Markus, what batch are your results from? This information will help others who are waiting understand progress toward their kits ...

Comment

I'm adoptee so all this is very exciting. I plan on testing at Ancestry to compare.

92% European
                    --61% British Isles
                    --16% Scandinavian
                    -- 9% Southern European
                    -- 3% Finland and Northern Sibera
                    -- 3% Eastern Europe

3% New World
                    -- 3% Native American

3% Central/South Asian
                    -- 3% Central Asian

1% African
                    -- 1% West Africa

Comment

Originally posted by LoriW View Post
                      I'm adoptee so all this is very exciting. I plan on testing at Ancestry to compare.

92% European
                      --61% British Isles
                      --16% Scandinavian
                      -- 9% Southern European
                      -- 3% Finland and Northern Sibera
                      -- 3% Eastern Europe

3% New World
                      -- 3% Native American

3% Central/South Asian
                      -- 3% Central Asian

1% African
                      -- 1% West Africa
                      You look like you are partially Latin American, most likely Caribbean or South America such as Colombia or Brazil due to the ratio of Southern European, Native American, and West African. It could still be from another Latin American country though. Do you have matches with Hispanic or Portuguese names?

The myOrigins test under reports Native American. You can upload your raw data files to www.gedmatch.com and use the Admixture (heritage) calculators there to get a more accurate report of your Native American ancestry. The site is free.

Ancestry.com and 23andme also do a better job of reporting the Native American ancestry than FTDNA myOrigins which also gives you the added benefit of finding more matches and maybe someone close enough to you to find out who you biological family is.

Comment

Armando,
                        Yes, I do have a fair amount of Latin surnames for my matches. Many of them residing in Jalisco, Mexico. I do know this on my biological mother's side is where the Spanish comes from as non-identifying info I do have said her father was of Spanish descent.

Lori

Comment

Lori,

Even if your matches from Jalisco are IBS (Identical by State) that is where some of your ancestry is from.

Comment

Hi, first post!

My MyOrigins results are:

68% Western and Central Europe
                            31% Scandinavia
                            1% Central Asia

This makes sense as I have a GGG Grandfather who was Norwegian and the rest of my family are from the central and eastern side of England.

There was always a rumour that my mum's family came from Russia and my dad's cames from Austria. I've found no paper evidence of this so possibly talking more than 6 or so generations back.

I did expect some British but since almost all my family as far back as 1700 are from Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, it doesn't suprise me that it comes out European and Scandinavian (hundreds of years of immigration across the North Sea).

Comment

Have MyOrigins, but no results as yet

My FF is not back as yet, but I now have a MyOrigins page that lists me as 50% Western and Central Europe, 32% British Isles, and 18% Scandinavian. This is interesting because, while I have some links to the British Isles, I have no known links to Central Europe or Scandinavia (although the Scandinavian part might have come from various Viking expeditions). Could the Central Europe part come from various historical invasions? Could it be that the MyOrigins results are a placeholder and not final?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                                My FF is not back as yet, but I now have a MyOrigins page that lists me as 50% Western and Central Europe, 32% British Isles, and 18% Scandinavian. This is interesting because, while I have some links to the British Isles, I have no known links to Central Europe or Scandinavia (although the Scandinavian part might have come from various Viking expeditions). Could the Central Europe part come from various historical invasions? Could it be that the MyOrigins results are a placeholder and not final?
                                I think the MyOrigins places your historic ethnicity from more than 1000 years ago. Central Europe and Scandinavia were sending boatloads of people over to eastern England at that time. I assume the British Isles element refers to The Welsh, Cornish, Scottish populations rather than the Saxon and Scandinavian populations.

Comment

Working...
                                X