Please post your ftdna "My Origins" results for comparison:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for clearly answering my question. My
    gg grandmother was supposedly full blooded Native American. My cousin dropped by my house a couple of weeks ago to show me a picture of her. I don't think she looks NA at all but it has been passed down (and just not my direct line either, but all descendants) that she was full blooded NA. I uploaded a picture of her for everyone to see. My DNA is definitely connecting to her, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Carla View Post
      Thank you for clearly answering my question. My
      gg grandmother was supposedly full blooded Native American. My cousin dropped by my house a couple of weeks ago to show me a picture of her. I don't think she looks NA at all but it has been passed down (and just not my direct line either, but all descendants) that she was full blooded NA. I uploaded a picture of her for everyone to see. My DNA is definitely connecting to her, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
      She looks European, very European. Additionally, full-blooded Native Americans do not have light-colored eyes. I guess many people have no idea as to what Native Americans look like. That does not exclude the possibility of her having some NA admixture, but a minority percentage.

Comment

It's tough to say just by looking at someone.. and regarding native Americans I think many families like to say they have those connections. I personally know current active tribe members here in Canada (they're my husband's cousins through his aunt who married a native man - a redhead) but they have red hair and freckled skin - you'd never know, they look Caucasian. The native tribe is pretty mixed with French people at this point. So maybe that's the case, because that woman in the (beautiful) picture looks pretty European to me!

Comment

Thank you rachelleleclaire! You have really helped me. I am too overwhelmed with the family names I am connected to and trying to reasonably find out how I connect to them, which I can't and end up logging off because I can't have any answers. But this may have answered a question about my gg-grandmother. I personally do not think she is NA either and it baffles me how something like this gets started in families. I tried to tell my cousin that I don't think she's NA but he wouldn't have anything to do with it, but it is my opinion. Thank you again..

Comment

Originally posted by Carla View Post
            Thank you rachelleleclaire! You have really helped me. I am too overwhelmed with the family names I am connected to and trying to reasonably find out how I connect to them, which I can't and end up logging off because I can't have any answers. But this may have answered a question about my gg-grandmother. I personally do not think she is NA either and it baffles me how something like this gets started in families. I tried to tell my cousin that I don't think she's NA but he wouldn't have anything to do with it, but it is my opinion. Thank you again..
            I agree with everyone else that your gg-grandmother looks very European. If she was only 1/4 or less Native American then it would be possible to not have physical traits of a Native American. You should also have at least 2% Native American in Gedmatch calculators and AncestryDNA if she were 100%. Normally 1/16 would be 6.25% but since some of the ancestry can get lost over the generations it could be less. If your gg-grandmother was only 1/4 Native American then you wouldn't normally have any show up in your autosomal DNA.

If she were 100% Native American then females that descend from her in the direct maternal line should have mtDNA of A,B,C,D, or X.

There are many people on this site and other forums trying to prove that they have a Native American ancestor but normally don't have any signs of it in their DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
              I agree with everyone else that your gg-grandmother looks very European. If she was only 1/4 or less Native American then it would be possible to not have physical traits of a Native American. You should also have at least 2% Native American in Gedmatch calculators and AncestryDNA if she were 100%..
              Thank you. I have uploaded my results to Gedmatch but am uncertain what to look for as far as any NA. It doesn't state "Native Anerican" on there and I don't know enough about this to know any different. However, I don't believe myself that Sarah Jane was NA. I want the truth, that's all. Thanks.

Comment

Carla, You asked how the NA stories can get started. Well in my family, the story went that my 3 great grandfather had NA blood. Actually, it was his wife who on one of the census records is shown as Ind. born in Cherokee Nation. However, she was his second wife. According the later census records, he had 4 wives.

My DNA doesn't show NA, but it wouldn't as I found that I was descended from his first wife. I have cousins that I've found that are showing NA blood, but they are only 1/2 cousins to me. My 3rd g grandfather tried to join the Cherokee Nation as an intermarried white. He was originally accepted, but as his record shows the application was challenged and it was finally denied. No NA blood for me.

That's how stories get started.

Comment

Familial:
                  40% Swiss Anabaptist (My mother was Amish and since it's so endogamous, I have far fewerer branches from her half of my tree.)
                  30% English
                  20% German
                  10% Misc (Irish, Scottish, French, etc)

MyOrigins:
                  British Isles 42%
                  Southern Europe 33%
                  Western/Central Europe 21%
                  Finland/N. Siberia 3%

As a bonus -
                  Ancestry:
                  Europe West 76%
                  Italy/Greece 12%
                  Ireland 3%
                  Scandinavia 2%
                  Iberian Peninsula 2%
                  West Asia 1%
                  Caucasus 1%
                  Great Britain <1%
                  Finland/Northwest Russia <1%
                  Pacific Islander <1%
                  Melanesia <1%
                  Asia Central <1%

GEDmatch:
                  North_Atlantic 40.81%
                  Baltic 23.16%
                  West_Med 16.70%
                  West_Asian 6.77%
                  East_Med 7.76%
                  Red_Sea 1.41%
                  South_Asian 0.23%
                  East_Asian 0.40%
                  Siberian 0.59%
                  Oceanian 1.46%
                  Northeast_African 0.72%

I'm highly confused about the Italian/Greek in the mix. I'm just guessing it's from Holy Roman Empire times.

Comment

I got my dad's My Origins results yesterday. He is 100% European, with this as his breakdown:

British Isles -- 46%
                    Southern Europe -- 30%
                    Scandinavia -- 17%
                    Western & Central Europe -- 4%
                    Finland & Northern Siberia -- 3%

---

My mom's test (which I posted before) has her as 96% European and 4% Middle Eastern, with this breakdown:

British Isles -- 58%
                    Scandinavia -- 23%
                    Southern Europe -- 9%
                    Eastern Europe -- 6%
                    Eastern Middle East -- 4%

---

And these are my results (again, I posted these previously). I'm 97% European, and 3% Middle Eastern:

British Isles -- 57%
                    Southern Europe -- 20%
                    Scandinavia -- 17%
                    Finland & Northern Siberia -- 3%
                    Eastern Middle East -- 3%

My dad's ancestry that I've been able to trace (and I've traced quite a bit on his side, it helps when his family has stayed pretty much in the same spot that's only an hour from where I live for the last 200 years, LOL) has his ancestors that I've managed to trace back primarily from England, Scotland, and Ireland, with some from the area of Germany/Switzerland (though those relatives came over in the early 1700s). While I don't have a clue where the Finland & Northern Siberia stuff comes in, I presume that has something to do with the Vikings, since it's pretty damn clear that we must have Vikings somewhere in our background from the amount of Scandinavian he's got in his make up. And likewise I presume the Southern Europe bit in his is either tied in somewhere to the relatives from Germany/Switzerland or else possibly from when the Romans were in Britain. (Of course, who knows, maybe that ridiculous tree I saw some twenty years ago that claims we're descended from Charlemagne, Robert the Bruce, and the like is right... though I've always taken it with a grain of salt simply because of the sheer number of errors I spotted in just a cursory glance at it.)

On Mom's side, I know that six of my eight great-great grandparents (and two of my four great-grandparents) were immigrants to America. Two of them were from Co. Galway, Ireland (specifically from Clifden for one of those), another two were from the area of Stolberg and Eschweiler, Rheinland, Germany, and the last two immigrants came from Klopodia, Banat, Austria-Hungary (which is now Clopodia, Timis, Romania). On the two lines that actually were in America prior to 1880, I can trace one line back to relatives who came from Ireland, Germany, and Switzerland in the early to mid-1700s to Pennsylvania. So again, her results are pretty much what I'd expect for her, though I'm still not sure where we're getting the Eastern Middle East bit from, but since I can't trace the relatives from Klopodia any further back (other than the fact that we know they were "of German descent") than the 1860s, it's entirely possible that it comes in somewhere on that line.

Comment

Mixed results. Really.

OK, going on family lore & research - from my dad's side I should get 37.5% Mexican & 12.5% Chinese. And from my mom's side I should be 25% German, 12.5% Irish, & 12.5% unknown (prob Euro mix). FTDNA gave me:

British Isles - 31%
                      Eastern Europe - 14%
                      Southern Europe - 8%
                      Finland & Northern Siberia - 6%
                      Northeast Asia - 10%
                      Southeast Asia - 7%
                      New World - 12%
                      Jewish Ashkenazi Diaspora - 6%
                      Eastern Middle East - 3%
                      West Africa - 2%

---

Now, my mother "should" be 50% German, 25% Irish, & 25% Unknown. But FTDNA gave her:

British Isles - 63%
                      Eastern Europe - 16%
                      Southern Europe - 2%
                      Asia Minor - 17%
                      North Africa - 2%

---

Unfortunately, both my dad's & my maternal grandmother's (her father is the source of our unknown %'s) test results won't arrive for quite a while so I can't yet compare things as much as I'd like. I won't really be able to give an opinion on if I truly agree w/ FTDNA's myOrigins until I can look at them all together.

I can say that Ancestry showed me w/ a bit more Native American @ 19%. The really weird thing was that they showed me as having 3 times more Irish than my mom did. Which make little sense as I get the Irish from her & her dad's side. No clue why.

Comment

Originally posted by angeljacoby View Post
                        I can say that Ancestry showed me w/ a bit more Native American @ 19%. The really weird thing was that they showed me as having 3 times more Irish than my mom did. Which make little sense as I get the Irish from her & her dad's side. No clue why.
                        A lot of people get confused with MyOrigins. The SNP's can be from 1000 to 10000 years ago and Europe is so mixed it is hard to match a current country. No admix calculator will provide exactly what everyone expects due to limitations of the calculators and a persons expectations.

I'm not an expert but I do no see anything wildly inconsistent with you or your mothers results.

British Isles is not just Irish though that is where it is strongest. I find Germany quite interesting as it is close to a number of different populations. I would not be surprised for Germans to have British Isles, Central European or Eastern European.

For your mother the numbers seem to me to be consistent with her known ancestry within the limits of MyOrigins.

Your results I believe are also consistent. Mexican is a mix of Native American, European, and can also have some African. MyOrigins places a portion of Native American under Asia which can explain why your new world is lower than from Ancestry and your Asian components are higher than expected for being 12.5% Chinese.

The remaining components are either European or found in some European populations except possibly Eastern Middle East as I am not familiar with that population. The Finland & Northern Siberia is interesting and I wonder if that could be a Native American or possibly even Chinese component, or both, that due to your particular admixture is showing closer to that population.

When you do get your fathers results it could be interesting. I've read about parent/child results where the child has a population that neither parent has. I believe this is due to populations being so similar that a mix from parents can come out looking like a different population.

Comment

Originally posted by angeljacoby View Post
                          OK, going on family lore & research - from my dad's side I should get 37.5% Mexican & 12.5% Chinese. And from my mom's side I should be 25% German, 12.5% Irish, & 12.5% unknown (prob Euro mix). FTDNA gave me:

Finland & Northern Siberia - 6%
                          Northeast Asia - 10%
                          New World - 12%

---

Originally posted by awheaton View Post
                          A lot of people get confused with MyOrigins. The SNP's can be from 1000 to 10000 years ago and Europe is so mixed it is hard to match a current country. No admix calculator will provide exactly what everyone expects due to limitations of the calculators and a persons expectations.

I'm not an expert but I do no see anything wildly inconsistent with you or your mothers results.

Your results I believe are also consistent. Mexican is a mix of Native American, European, and can also have some African. MyOrigins places a portion of Native American under Asia which can explain why your new world is lower than from Ancestry and your Asian components are higher than expected for being 12.5% Chinese.

The remaining components are either European or found in some European populations except possibly Eastern Middle East as I am not familiar with that population. The Finland & Northern Siberia is interesting and I wonder if that could be a Native American or possibly even Chinese component, or both, that due to your particular admixture is showing closer to that population.

When you do get your fathers results it could be interesting. I've read about parent/child results where the child has a population that neither parent has. I believe this is due to populations being so similar that a mix from parents can come out looking like a different population.
                          MyOrigins under reports the Native American in Mexicans and other Latin Americans. Both AncestryDNA and 23andme, as well as Gedmatch, do a much better job of reporting Native American ancestry.

In myOrigins the Native American DNA is split up between Native American, Northeast Asian, and at times a small amount of Finland & Northern Siberia. In your case since you have some Chinese the amounts are very different from a typical Mexican or even half-Mexican half-Anglo-American.

You can see some examples of myOrigins results of some Mexicans and of a 12,500 year old Native American specimen at http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=36640

Comment

MyOrigins,

100% European,
                            64% Western and Central European
                            18% British Isles,
                            9% Scandinavia,
                            9% Finland and Northern Siberia.

GedMatch K15

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
                            1 North_Sea 44.37
                            2 Atlantic 20.62
                            3 Baltic 9.30
                            4 West_Med 8.87
                            5 Eastern_Euro 7.96
                            6 West_Asian 4.80
                            7 Red_Sea 1.32

Gedmatch K13

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
                            1 North_Atlantic 49.46
                            2 Baltic 24.27
                            3 West_Med 11.74
                            4 West_Asian 6.70
                            5 East_Med 3.17
                            6 Red_Sea 1.64
                            Last edited by Wulf Talented; 10th January 2015, 02:45 AM.

Comment

My mother's FF test has just been processed. She has far more interesting MyOrigins results than I do.

I am:

98% European being 98% British Isles
                              2% Central/South Asia being 2% Central Asia

My mother:

95% European being 83% British Isles, 7% Scandinavian, 5% Western/Central European
                              5% Middle Eastern being 5% Asia Minor

Kind of similar so I guess it makes sense, but not what I expected. Waiting for her kit to tokenize so I can play with it in Gedmatch too.

Comment

My origins came up when I got my family finder results: 100% western European. That's it . . . A little confusing, but then not so. It seems sort of incomplete. I'm seeing in this thread that some are 10% British, German etc, so I don't quite get my results.

Comment

Working...
                                X