X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HummelJM
    replied
    Disappearing African result

I find myOrigins to be a big improvement over the old Population Finder. However, on Population Finder, I was 97% European and 3% sub-Saharan African. (The African component was unknown to me, but not very surprising.) On myOrigins I'm 100% European. Just curious if any other primarily European people have had a small African percentage disappear from their mix in this changeover.

Leave a comment:

• CTChick
    replied
    My Origins vs PF

My original PF showed me as 48% Middle East (Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish, Mozabite, Palestinian); 46% Europe Southern (Sardinian); and 5% Asian (North and South Indian). This was a bizarre finding as my two first cousins were both 100% Middle East (Jewish). I questioned my findings and was told that the results I had was what my test showed. Now, My Origins is showing me as 100% Jewish Diaspora. Although there are no surprises there--already knew that from my paper trail, I am confused as to the disparate results from PF and My Origins.

Leave a comment:

• ISC80
    replied
    Results for Andalusian people

I'm a native Spanish from Andalusia and all my known ancestors (five or six generations back) were from Andalusia, too.
    I find it strange that there are significant differences among the members of my family regarding percentages obtained.
    In my particular case, I think the amount of European Coastal Plain is maybe overestimated.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Joey60
    replied
    Well, being native german (west german) with very low information about my ancestry, i´m wondering why there is no european costal plain. The North Mediterranean amount is interesting.

The new results are closer to gedmatch than the old ones.

My PF results:
    Western European 90%
    Middle East 10 %

MyOrigin results:
    99% European:

European Northlands 44%
    North Mediterranean Basin 28 %
    European Coastal Islands 27 %

Leave a comment:

• PDHOTLEN
    replied
    Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
    I finally see my origins (replacing PF). But it sure took me aback. I am 100% European. But the breakdown made me do a double take. My dad's side is as expected. That leaves my maternal side that needs to be explained. My direct maternal line is still in tact. Which narrows it down to my so called Austrian portion. Even though, according to legal records, I am 1/4 Austrian (making me eligible for an Austrian passport), I may not be Austrian at all (NPE?).
    IF I can trust FTDNA to give me true facts, then it looks like yet another NPE in my vast tree. King John of England didn't marry my maternal ancestress. My ancestral couple in Norway didn't bother to officially tie the knot. And now, with 20% Mediterranean, it looks like my official maternal grandfather was not my biological maternal grandfather, heh heh.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Dram View Post
    Well, for me I have to assume that my results are correct only because I don't know where one of my lines comes from.

One thing that does concern me a bit is the seemingly no trace of Scandinavian history that I have well documented from Norway, Sweden, and Northern Germany/Denmark.

My Results:

100% European Broken Down:

61% Coastal Islands: (Makes sense because I am mostly of Isles descent: Welsh, Irish, Scottish, and English)

33% Coastal Plain: (Also, makes sense as I have German/Dane and French ancestry)

3% North Circumpolar: (Interesting because I don't have any known Finnish ancestry but I do have many Finnish matches. I also have some Norwegian and Danish matches. I wonder if this is from the line that is unknown to me. It'd be easy to say this was from my Swedish or Norwegian lines however, my research shows traditional Nor/Swede names for at least 2 centuries and they are from southern Sweden and southern Norway...with the exception of one line from slightly NE of Oslo.)

3% Trans-Ural Peneplain: (Have no known ancestry in this region however, I can see some Germans having this lineage or again from my unknown line).

How is it I managed to not have any European Northlands? Despite me actually having Scandinavian ancestry 15-20% roughly...What about my English, Scottish, and Irish ancestors...surely they had Scandinavian admixture?
    The 3% North Circumpolar could possibly be from Norway. There have been finnish immigration to Norway since at least the 15th century. And there's also the Saami to consider...

Leave a comment:

• Serket
    replied
    I was hoping for a percentage breakdown by country and it would be nice to have more detailed information about my matches. European is too broad to be helpful. However, the new map is better than Population Finder. I got the correct zones, but I expected the percentages to be a little different. Overall, I think it is pretty good.

Old results: Europe (Western European): Basque, French, Orcadian, Spanish 93.39% ±6.90% and Europe: Tuscan, Romanian, Sardinian 6.61% ±6.90%.

New results: European Coastal Islands 35%, European Northlands 35%, European Coastal Plain 30%.

Leave a comment:

• Táltos
    replied
    Step in the right direction but,

No Balkans samples used for reference? I'm a 1/4 Arbëreshë. It had been said on this forum a while ago that there would be 50 European reference populations. Over at Anthrogenica someone posted the populations used. http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...Finally/page22

I do really like that they could identify my largest component as the Trans Ural. My father was Lithuanian, Polish, Rusyn. I also really like that they can give me a breakdown of Jewish from Middle Eastern as I had been asked the Middle Eastern survey way too many times.

The Ancestry tool that should have been very cool, is weak. I have read that some people did not even get any matches for it, I only have 13. And really those who did not get any matches aren't missing anything as they tell you only the basic matching ie European. Not that you match because you both have Trans Ural, and Circumpolar.

Would have been a good thing to see which break down of Middle Eastern some of my Jewish matches also have. Maybe it could help refine Sephardic heritage?

Oh well, sure it is an improvement over the old. I just hope FTDNA makes a commitment to update this more often.

Here's my result:
    MyOrigins.jpg
    Last edited by Táltos; 6 May 2014, 11:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dram
    replied
    That's a good point Germanica. Quite possibly the Scandinavian is hidden within the Isles.

I would imagine that the English must have at least 50% Danish ancestry.

My Scottish and Welsh ancestors possibly escaped the Danish influence as they are far North West Wales (Anglesey) and presumably West Scotland. Then again, West Scotland could have Norwegian signatures. Ireland had heavy Norse and Norman influence.

Given my ancestry there isn't any reason that I wouldn't show a great percentage of European Northlands unless something like you suggested is occurring.

Leave a comment:

• Germanica
    replied
    Originally posted by Dram View Post
    Well, for me I have to assume that my results are correct only because I don't know where one of my lines comes from.

One thing that does concern me a bit is the seemingly no trace of Scandinavian history that I have well documented from Norway, Sweden, and Northern Germany/Denmark.

My Results:

61% Coastal Islands: (Makes sense because I am mostly of Isles descent: Welsh, Irish, Scottish, and English)

33% Coastal Plain: (Also, makes sense as I have German/Dane and French ancestry)

3% North Circumpolar: (Interesting because I don't have any known Finnish ancestry but I do have many Finnish matches. I also have some Norwegian and Danish matches. I wonder if this is from the line that is unknown to me. It'd be easy to say this was from my Swedish or Norwegian lines however, my research shows traditional Nor/Swede names for at least 2 centuries and they are from southern Sweden and southern Norway...with the exception of one line from slightly NE of Oslo.)

3% Trans-Ural Peneplain: (Have no known ancestry in this region however, I can see some Germans having this lineage or again from my unknown line).

How is it I managed to not have any European Northlands? Despite me actually having Scandinavian ancestry 15-20% roughly...What about my English, Scottish, and Irish ancestors...surely they had Scandinavian admixture?
    I just posted in another topic how I am experiencing the opposite: all my British DNA seems to be coming up under Scandinavian and coastal plain (Germanic), both of which have influences on Britain. Am I thinking your Norwegian ancestry is being lumped into British instead but because you do have British ancestry you don't question it. I do have Norwegian and German heritage too, but their percentages are much higher here myOrigins than they were with AncestryDNA, which is what makes me think my British DNA is coming up under those instead. Have you compared at GEDmatch?

Leave a comment:

• Dram
    replied

My Results:

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    I think myOrigins is an improvement to old PF for my Family based on our known ancestry from about the mid 1700's.

My Fathers background
    Father - half Irish/half Scottish
    Mother - Born in Romania near Ukraine border, with German paternal line who moved there in 1803 (my Grandmother was 3rd Generation since move). Her mother's background currently unknown.

My Mothers background
    Father - half Norwegian/half Swedish
    Mother - English

My Father's paternal 1st Cousin has an Hungarian Maternal side.

Only myOrigins I somewhat wonder about is for my maternal Uncle who does not show any European Coastal Islands, even though he is 50% English.

Previous PF readings for my family where
    Father
    Europe(Western European) Orcadian 90.78 ±2.62%
    Middle East Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish 9.22% ±2.62%

Paternal Uncle
    Europe Finnish, Romanian, Russian 26.87 ±4.10%
    Europe(Western European) French, Orcadian 73.13 ±4.10%

Paternal Aunt
    Europe(Western European) Orcadian 92.38 ±2.51%
    Middle East Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish, Mozabite 7.62% ±2.51%

Mother
    Europe (Western European) Orcadian 100.00

Maternal Uncle
    Europe (Western European) Orcadian 100.00

Myself and two SiblingsEurope (Western European) Orcadian 100.00

Three other siblings
    Showed Orcadian with small percentage of Northern India.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Originally posted by AlisonT View Post
    Got MyOrigins for maternal grandfather, maternal grandmother, and myself. My grandpa's matches up very well with what we know of his origins and with the other DNA tests he's done.

Mine has me at 96% European (with no coastal plain which I find odd given my grandpa's huge percentage + my substantial French background, but hey) and 4% Middle Eastern which is better than the ~10 Middle Eastern PF had me at.

My grandma's results are the weirdest. She's at 93% European and the mixture they're giving her seems fairly accurate, but then she's got 6% Jewish Diaspora. I guess it's reading her old Middle East component as Jewish. No idea where that's coming from. No Jewish lineage that I know of. My mother (her daughter) showed no Jewish in her results at 23&Me.
    The Diaspora component might go back more than 1000 years ago. FTDNA needs to give some explanation of what these low percentage figures mean. I am not at all sure, but this low percentage might reflect what they are calling a Jewish Diaspora 'signature'. In other research the term 'signature' implies ancient ancestors of people who might be no longer Jewish
    Last edited by josh w.; 6 May 2014, 06:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jtoml3
    replied
    I don't know how my Croatian ancestry fits in here. European Coastal Plain perhaps?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• gatty
    replied
    99% European- European Coastal Islands 69% European Northlands 30%

1% Middle East - North African Coastlands 1%

Given English/Irish/Scottish ancestry European Coastal Islands makes sense.

However admixture tools at Gedmatch give me an average of 15.94 for Mediterranean and 12.49 for East European that are not reflected in My origins.
    Gedmatch average for SW/W Asia is 4.32.

Given that Gedmatch results are from FTDNA's autosomal file i am wondering what to make of the discrepancies.

Also thought there would be more reference populations/samples.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X