X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdegnen
    replied
    Origins

A friend from Puebla, Mexico, who is mostly of not entirely Indigenous, got these results. Population Finder 98.8% Native American-Maya. Origins results; New World-Bering Expansion 63%, East Asian-Asian Northeast 21%, European-North Circumpolar 10%, Central/South Asian-Eurasian Heartland 7%. All his ancestry is Mexican. Family oral tradition says Azteca.
    Last edited by rdegnen; 10 May 2014, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NYMark
    replied
    There may also be a problem with over-estimates and over-fitting. I get 56% when there's no evidence of any Jewish admixture on my paternal side. A couple of other 50-50 mixes have reported the same kind of thing (one got 59%). A (German) Swiss match of mine who has no Jewish matches in common with me is showing as 5%, and at that level, I'd expect us to share a number of AJ matches.

My half siblings both show 100%. Neither of them does over at 23andMe, where they're both in the high 90s, with traces of other admixture.

I think one of the big problems (not limited to FTDNA) is the way these tests are marketed. They're valuable but severely limited. Customers are led to think they're precise and very reliable. They just aren't.

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
    Agree, but there still seem to be too many reports of false negatives. Maybe cutoff points can be adjusted.

Leave a comment:

• robe3b
    replied
    Agree, but there still seem to be too many reports of false negatives. Maybe cutoff points can be adjusted.
    Josh and Rafael, having read your comments, I think I should clarify my previous ones. To me the real issue is not whether I have or have not any Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry; this is totally irrelevant to me, as the many Ashkenazi "cousins" I've found both on Family Finder and Gedmatch came out totally unexpected. Still, it seems I'm the one to be blamed for this misunderstandig, as I mixed percentages of Middle Eastern ancestry up with having surprisingly many Ashkenazi cousins. The issue here is the sharp differences in ancestry estimates between PF and myOrigins, from 14.38% to 1% Middle Eastern ethnic ancestry. I should add that the same thing has happened with my Native American percentage. PF gave me an astonishing high estimate of NA ethnic ancestry (36.4%); myOrigins has brought it down to 31% (23% Beringian Expansion plus 8% Asian Northeast. Anyway, I've decided to give FTDNA the benefice of the doubt; perhaps they're right now, and I really am 66% European (Mediterranean Basin, the whole of it), 31% NA, 1% Middle Eastern, 1% African and 1% unassigned). It makes sense, as I'm South American

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Originally posted by Rafael Fernandes View Post
    If PF listed Jews along with other ME populations, it's because it couldn't tell precisely what ME populations you had the most affinity with -- it could or could not be Jews. PF was also rather limited in measuring South European ancestry - few samples from the Southeast corner, for example; and, as a result, some people of Southern European ancestry could have this ancestry being misidentified as something else -- as North European or Middle Eastern, for example, which are the closest ancestries to Southern European.

Even if you have noticeable Jewish ancestry, FTDNA may be overlooking it if it is not big enough. This is happening with me. I have a fair share of Ashkenazi Jewish cousins, too - in 23andMe, they're over 100 in Relative Finder and 23andMe gives me that probable Ashkenazy Jewish ancestry badge. But on FTDNA I'm not being identified as having Jewish ancestry at all and on 23andMe itself I'm said to be only 0.4% Jewish. Because of the historical contingencies of the Ashkenazi Jewish population in Europe -- high endogamy, for example -- an individual may have a fair number of Jewish relatives as identified in ancestry tests, and simultaneously have but a small percentage of Jewish genes, thereby failing at times to be identified as having said ancestry.

Leave a comment:

• bogeypie
    replied
    Hmmm

You guys are lucky.... all I get is a blank page

Leave a comment:

• Rafael Fernandes
    replied
    Originally posted by robe3b View Post
    Hi,
    My PF results showed 14.38% Middle Eastern, with different populations listed: Jewish, Palestinian, Druze, etc. But the fact is still there, is it not? PF gave me 14.38% Middle Eastern, myOrigins reduces this percentage to 1%. Confusing indeed.
    If PF listed Jews along with other ME populations, it's because it couldn't tell precisely what ME populations you had the most affinity with -- it could or could not be Jews. PF was also rather limited in measuring South European ancestry - few samples from the Southeast corner, for example; and, as a result, some people of Southern European ancestry could have this ancestry being misidentified as something else -- as North European or Middle Eastern, for example, which are the closest ancestries to Southern European.

Even if you have noticeable Jewish ancestry, FTDNA may be overlooking it if it is not big enough. This is happening with me. I have a fair share of Ashkenazi Jewish cousins, too - in 23andMe, they're over 100 in Relative Finder and 23andMe gives me that probable Ashkenazy Jewish ancestry badge. But on FTDNA I'm not being identified as having Jewish ancestry at all and on 23andMe itself I'm said to be only 0.4% Jewish. Because of the historical contingencies of the Ashkenazi Jewish population in Europe -- high endogamy, for example -- an individual may have a fair number of Jewish relatives as identified in ancestry tests, and simultaneously have but a small percentage of Jewish genes, thereby failing at times to be identified as having said ancestry.
    Last edited by Rafael Fernandes; 9 May 2014, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robe3b
    replied
    Did your PF results specifically state Middle Eastern-Jewish with no other groups listed. If not, Middle East might mean non Jewish groups. On My Origins, Ashkenazis do not show an Asian cluster--they show Jewish Diaspora.
    Hi,
    My PF results showed 14.38% Middle Eastern, with different populations listed: Jewish, Palestinian, Druze, etc. But the fact is still there, is it not? PF gave me 14.38% Middle Eastern, myOrigins reduces this percentage to 1%. Confusing indeed.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    Originally posted by robe3b View Post
    I don't intend to complain over my ancestry results according to the new myOrigins. Still, there are a couple of issues that make me feel frustrated and confused. My Population Finder results showed 14.38% Middle Eastern, which seemed to be quite logical since 27.7% of my Family Finder "cousins" are Ashkenazi jews. myOrigins states that I actually have 1% Middle Eastern. Now, the Native American issue: PF results showed 36.4% Native American DNA; myOrigins states that I'm 23% NA (Beringian Expansion) plus 8% Asian Northeast, 31% on the whole. I'm perplexed!
    Did your PF results specifically state Middle Eastern-Jewish with no other groups listed. If not, Middle East might mean non Jewish groups. On My Origins, Ashkenazis do not show an Asian cluster--they show Jewish Diaspora.

Leave a comment:

• robe3b
    replied
    I don't intend to complain over my ancestry results according to the new myOrigins. Still, there are a couple of issues that make me feel frustrated and confused. My Population Finder results showed 14.38% Middle Eastern, which seemed to be quite logical since 27.7% of my Family Finder "cousins" are Ashkenazi jews. myOrigins states that I actually have 1% Middle Eastern. Now, the Native American issue: PF results showed 36.4% Native American DNA; myOrigins states that I'm 23% NA (Beringian Expansion) plus 8% Asian Northeast, 31% on the whole. I'm perplexed!

Leave a comment:

• sinan_murat
    replied
    here are my results.
    Both of my parents are Turkish and are from south Turkey (Cilicia region. Can anybody explain the European cluster in my results?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tbsmith918
    replied
    You should still have a Jewish Diaspora component. Too many reports similar to your own.
    That may explain my situation. Doctor McDonald shows me to be Polish, Irish, and Jewish with the latter coming at only a bit above 5%. It is a known component on my maternal side in Poland. It also showed up in Jtest. I thought MyOrigins would also pick it up, but no. A tad disappointed, because I know it is there, even if only 5%. It's on the maternal line, which is important to me, so yes, it would have been nice to see it show up. Perhaps the thresholds are different in MO?

Leave a comment:

• Svein
    replied
    Originally posted by keigh View Post
    I had the same question about my brother's previous PF and the My Origins. It seems that the Finnish is in with the European Northlands mix. That's my conclusion after reading the description of European Northlands.
    You may be right, but then I wonder why both my father and uncle still have their "Finnish" (North Circumpolar) results. Maybe the myOrigins is not quite consistent when it returns the individual results.

Regarding the European Coastal Islands results me and my relatives got, I now translate that to "Western Nordic", the same as I earlier translated the PF result "Orcadian". I see that many people from the UK have the opposite result, European Northlands with no known Scandinavian ancestry. Probably those clusters are very much alike for historical reasons. And the PF "Finnish" result I earlier, at least in part, translated to "Eastern Nordic". And maybe that also explains why my earlier Finnish result is now maybe included in the European Northlands result.

Leave a comment:

• MitchellSince1893
    replied
    From People Finder to My Origins...still no detection of Indian ancestry

From genealogical research I know my father has 3/128ths (2.3%) ancestry from India and another 4% from Germany, Sweden, and the Netherlands. The other 94% is British Isles.

His My Origins results were 93% European Coastal Islands and 7% Middle Eastern-Afro-Asiatic. So they got close on the British Isles part but didn't detect the Germanic or Indian ancestry.

Other admixture tools such as 23andme's ancestry composition, and the various tools on Gedmatch.com's (MDLP, Dodecad, Eurogenes) all detect this Indian ancestry.

But for some reason FTDNA's My Origins comes up 7% Middle Eastern population for my father...and 0.0% no ancestry from Central and South Asia. At least the My Origins reduced that percentage down from the old Population Finder result of 13% Middle Eastern.

I'm guessing there is something in the Afro-Asiatic group that's picking up the Indian ancestry. Maybe my father's Indian ancestors were of Iranian origin and because there were no Iranian samples used in My Origins, it reading it as Afro-Asiatic? But one would think he should have some Central Asian or South Asian component.

Leave a comment:

• JuanCarlos
    replied
    Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
    Known ancestry is Southern Italian, German.
    Thank you. I think your ME is now Anatolian-Caucasus. That component is also found in Sicilians, Southern Italians, AJ, SJ, MJ, Turks, Armenians and most people in the Levant and Caucasus. It's very low in North Africa and Iberia, although it exists there too.

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    Originally posted by JuanCarlos View Post
    What is your known ancestry?
    Known ancestry is Southern Italian, German.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X