• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixed eurasian
    Attached Files

Comment

Central/South Asian

Viewed my MyOrigins results. Not surprised. The results pretty much corresponds with what my AncestryDNA and Gedmatch results stated. The only category I have a question about is the Central/South Asian. Does this category represents Ameridian heritage considering I have 70% African Ancestry? My results are attached.
      MyOrigins Results.jpg

Comment

Apparently I'm 2% North Circumpolar, which doesn't come from EITHER of my parents.

Comment

I had >99% NE European/Finnish in Population Finder, here's the MyOrigins result:

99% European
          -83% North Circumpolar
          -13% European Northlands
          -3% European Coastal Plain

...but why is that "North Circumpolar" blob oddly specific to Eastern Finland, when the description claims it "stretches from Lapland to Greenland"?

The world is not such a wide place at the top and the bottom. The North Circumpolar cluster began around the arctic as hunter-gatherer peoples. They have carried their genes down to the modern era. The North Circumpolar stretches from Lappland east to Greenland. Though genetically diverse, the root of many of these populations is a genetic signature found most often in Finnic peoples.
          Seems very vague written ("the root of many of these peoples is a genetic signature..."?) and it doesn't make any sense to lump all of these populations together as a single "ethnicity"!

Frankly, this seems like an attempt to "sex up" the population finder results at the expense of actual ancestry information. In my case I know that this "cluster" points to Finnish ancestry, but if I didn't have that information, what would this result tell me?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sjadelson View Post
            Apparently I'm 2% North Circumpolar, which doesn't come from EITHER of my parents.
            It probably comes from both of them; apart it doesn't show up in their tests (too small) but combined in you, it does.

I have the same situation showing a 3% trace of an area for one of my daughters that is not in my kit or my wife's.

Comment

Originally posted by louis221 View Post
              On the old population finder my results were 100% middle eastern (jewish), so I wasn't too surprised to see my new results. However I am a little confused on what these results actually mean? Does this mean I am a 100% descendant of israel? There is no further origin breakdown, but it does show that Poland was my family's host country. So as an ashkenazi jew with these results, does this conclude that I am a direct descendant of israel? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
              Yes and No. You can trace both of your lines back to Israel. However by the time of the Diaspora, Ashkenazis had admixture (via conversions) with European populations, particularly southern Italy and central Europe to a lesser extent. A number of studies demonstrate this autosomal admixture pattern for Ashkenazis. If you go to Gedmatch (when it is running), programs such as Dodecad and Eurogenes will reveal your particular admixture of regional components.

Comment

99% European- European Coastal Islands 69% European Northlands 30%

1% Middle East - North African Coastlands 1%

Given English/Irish/Scottish ancestry European Coastal Islands makes sense.

However admixture tools at Gedmatch give me an average of 15.94 for Mediterranean and 12.49 for East European that are not reflected in My origins.
                Gedmatch average for SW/W Asia is 4.32.

Given that Gedmatch results are from FTDNA's autosomal file i am wondering what to make of the discrepancies.

Also thought there would be more reference populations/samples.

Comment

I don't know how my Croatian ancestry fits in here. European Coastal Plain perhaps?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AlisonT View Post
                    Got MyOrigins for maternal grandfather, maternal grandmother, and myself. My grandpa's matches up very well with what we know of his origins and with the other DNA tests he's done.

Mine has me at 96% European (with no coastal plain which I find odd given my grandpa's huge percentage + my substantial French background, but hey) and 4% Middle Eastern which is better than the ~10 Middle Eastern PF had me at.

My grandma's results are the weirdest. She's at 93% European and the mixture they're giving her seems fairly accurate, but then she's got 6% Jewish Diaspora. I guess it's reading her old Middle East component as Jewish. No idea where that's coming from. No Jewish lineage that I know of. My mother (her daughter) showed no Jewish in her results at 23&Me.
                    The Diaspora component might go back more than 1000 years ago. FTDNA needs to give some explanation of what these low percentage figures mean. I am not at all sure, but this low percentage might reflect what they are calling a Jewish Diaspora 'signature'. In other research the term 'signature' implies ancient ancestors of people who might be no longer Jewish
                    Last edited by josh w.; 6 May 2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I think myOrigins is an improvement to old PF for my Family based on our known ancestry from about the mid 1700's.

My Fathers background
                      Father - half Irish/half Scottish
                      Mother - Born in Romania near Ukraine border, with German paternal line who moved there in 1803 (my Grandmother was 3rd Generation since move). Her mother's background currently unknown.

My Mothers background
                      Father - half Norwegian/half Swedish
                      Mother - English

My Father's paternal 1st Cousin has an Hungarian Maternal side.

Only myOrigins I somewhat wonder about is for my maternal Uncle who does not show any European Coastal Islands, even though he is 50% English.

Previous PF readings for my family where
                      Father
                      Europe(Western European) Orcadian 90.78 ±2.62%
                      Middle East Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish 9.22% ±2.62%

Paternal Uncle
                      Europe Finnish, Romanian, Russian 26.87 ±4.10%
                      Europe(Western European) French, Orcadian 73.13 ±4.10%

Paternal Aunt
                      Europe(Western European) Orcadian 92.38 ±2.51%
                      Middle East Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish, Mozabite 7.62% ±2.51%

Mother
                      Europe (Western European) Orcadian 100.00

Maternal Uncle
                      Europe (Western European) Orcadian 100.00

Myself and two SiblingsEurope (Western European) Orcadian 100.00

Three other siblings
                      Showed Orcadian with small percentage of Northern India.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, for me I have to assume that my results are correct only because I don't know where one of my lines comes from.

One thing that does concern me a bit is the seemingly no trace of Scandinavian history that I have well documented from Norway, Sweden, and Northern Germany/Denmark.

My Results:

100% European Broken Down:

61% Coastal Islands: (Makes sense because I am mostly of Isles descent: Welsh, Irish, Scottish, and English)

33% Coastal Plain: (Also, makes sense as I have German/Dane and French ancestry)

3% North Circumpolar: (Interesting because I don't have any known Finnish ancestry but I do have many Finnish matches. I also have some Norwegian and Danish matches. I wonder if this is from the line that is unknown to me. It'd be easy to say this was from my Swedish or Norwegian lines however, my research shows traditional Nor/Swede names for at least 2 centuries and they are from southern Sweden and southern Norway...with the exception of one line from slightly NE of Oslo.)

3% Trans-Ural Peneplain: (Have no known ancestry in this region however, I can see some Germans having this lineage or again from my unknown line).

How is it I managed to not have any European Northlands? Despite me actually having Scandinavian ancestry 15-20% roughly...What about my English, Scottish, and Irish ancestors...surely they had Scandinavian admixture?

Comment

Originally posted by Dram View Post
                          Well, for me I have to assume that my results are correct only because I don't know where one of my lines comes from.

One thing that does concern me a bit is the seemingly no trace of Scandinavian history that I have well documented from Norway, Sweden, and Northern Germany/Denmark.

My Results:

100% European Broken Down:

61% Coastal Islands: (Makes sense because I am mostly of Isles descent: Welsh, Irish, Scottish, and English)

33% Coastal Plain: (Also, makes sense as I have German/Dane and French ancestry)

3% North Circumpolar: (Interesting because I don't have any known Finnish ancestry but I do have many Finnish matches. I also have some Norwegian and Danish matches. I wonder if this is from the line that is unknown to me. It'd be easy to say this was from my Swedish or Norwegian lines however, my research shows traditional Nor/Swede names for at least 2 centuries and they are from southern Sweden and southern Norway...with the exception of one line from slightly NE of Oslo.)

3% Trans-Ural Peneplain: (Have no known ancestry in this region however, I can see some Germans having this lineage or again from my unknown line).

How is it I managed to not have any European Northlands? Despite me actually having Scandinavian ancestry 15-20% roughly...What about my English, Scottish, and Irish ancestors...surely they had Scandinavian admixture?
                          I just posted in another topic how I am experiencing the opposite: all my British DNA seems to be coming up under Scandinavian and coastal plain (Germanic), both of which have influences on Britain. Am I thinking your Norwegian ancestry is being lumped into British instead but because you do have British ancestry you don't question it. I do have Norwegian and German heritage too, but their percentages are much higher here myOrigins than they were with AncestryDNA, which is what makes me think my British DNA is coming up under those instead. Have you compared at GEDmatch?

Comment

That's a good point Germanica. Quite possibly the Scandinavian is hidden within the Isles.

I would imagine that the English must have at least 50% Danish ancestry.

My Scottish and Welsh ancestors possibly escaped the Danish influence as they are far North West Wales (Anglesey) and presumably West Scotland. Then again, West Scotland could have Norwegian signatures. Ireland had heavy Norse and Norman influence.

Given my ancestry there isn't any reason that I wouldn't show a great percentage of European Northlands unless something like you suggested is occurring.

Comment

Step in the right direction but,

No Balkans samples used for reference? I'm a 1/4 Arbëreshë. It had been said on this forum a while ago that there would be 50 European reference populations. Over at Anthrogenica someone posted the populations used. http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...Finally/page22

I do really like that they could identify my largest component as the Trans Ural. My father was Lithuanian, Polish, Rusyn. I also really like that they can give me a breakdown of Jewish from Middle Eastern as I had been asked the Middle Eastern survey way too many times.

The Ancestry tool that should have been very cool, is weak. I have read that some people did not even get any matches for it, I only have 13. And really those who did not get any matches aren't missing anything as they tell you only the basic matching ie European. Not that you match because you both have Trans Ural, and Circumpolar.

Would have been a good thing to see which break down of Middle Eastern some of my Jewish matches also have. Maybe it could help refine Sephardic heritage?

Oh well, sure it is an improvement over the old. I just hope FTDNA makes a commitment to update this more often.

Here's my result:
                              MyOrigins.jpg
                              Last edited by Táltos; 6 May 2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I was hoping for a percentage breakdown by country and it would be nice to have more detailed information about my matches. European is too broad to be helpful. However, the new map is better than Population Finder. I got the correct zones, but I expected the percentages to be a little different. Overall, I think it is pretty good.

Old results: Europe (Western European): Basque, French, Orcadian, Spanish 93.39% ±6.90% and Europe: Tuscan, Romanian, Sardinian 6.61% ±6.90%.

New results: European Coastal Islands 35%, European Northlands 35%, European Coastal Plain 30%.

Comment

Working...
                                X