X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EastAnglian
    replied
    Originally posted by Germanica View Post
    Glad to see my Italian ancestry is now mostly showing up as north Mediterranean basin instead of entirely middle eastern, but I am still getting 17% middle eastern. I'm okay with that because I know what it is though.

A bigger concern for me is that I know I have British ancestry, not only from my tree, but also ancestry.com DNA puts me at 55% British. Not a small number and yet I'm not getting ANY British results on myOrigins (I think they are calling it european coastal isles or something? I don't know because it's not in my results). I am wondering if FTDNA is lumping my British DNA into European northlands and European coastal plain because Britain does, after all, have Viking and Germanic tribe settlers. It would also explain why my results for European northlands and European coastal plain are so high compared to ancestry.com's equivelants - 34% and 26% compared to ancestry.com's 2% Scandinavian and 5% Europe west. Does this make sense to anyone or am I just making things up?
    Sounds about right, where in the UK is your British ancestry from?, is it from an area heavily settled by Vikings/Germanics such as the East Half of England?

Leave a comment:

• Germanica
    replied
    Glad to see my Italian ancestry is now mostly showing up as north Mediterranean basin instead of entirely middle eastern, but I am still getting 17% middle eastern. I'm okay with that because I know what it is though.

A bigger concern for me is that I know I have British ancestry, not only from my tree, but also ancestry.com DNA puts me at 55% British. Not a small number and yet I'm not getting ANY British results on myOrigins (I think they are calling it european coastal isles or something? I don't know because it's not in my results). I am wondering if FTDNA is lumping my British DNA into European northlands and European coastal plain because Britain does, after all, have Viking and Germanic tribe settlers. It would also explain why my results for European northlands and European coastal plain are so high compared to ancestry.com's equivelants - 34% and 26% compared to ancestry.com's 2% Scandinavian and 5% Europe west. Does this make sense to anyone or am I just making things up?

Leave a comment:

• mixedkid
    replied
    Pros, Cons myOrigins

Pros: (1) Finally brought up Scandinavian for me, as has Ancestry and 23 and Me. (2) Finally brought up British Isles area as has Ancestry and 23 and Me. (3) Brought up Spain-Italy-Greece area as has GEDmatch results and Ancestry.

Cons: (1)I can't see my parents heat maps whatsoever. (2) It seems to be lumping Scandinavian and Finnish together. (My mother and I get Finnish on Ancestry, 23 and Me and it also shows up quite distinctively using calculators on GEDmatch. We also have many, many Finnish matches.)

Neutral: I'm sort of in the middle about being concerned about not seeing much color over Germany and France. I suspect a lot of the eastern European area could be attributed to my culturally German ancestors. France? It was settled by many different groups of people, including Greeks, Romans and Scandinavians, to name a few.

Leave a comment:

• PDHOTLEN
    replied
    I finally see my origins (replacing PF). But it sure took me aback. I am 100% European. But the breakdown made me do a double take. My dad's side is as expected. That leaves my maternal side that needs to be explained. My direct maternal line is still in tact. Which narrows it down to my so called Austrian portion. Even though, according to legal records, I am 1/4 Austrian (making me eligible for an Austrian passport), I may not be Austrian at all (NPE?).

Leave a comment:

• ToddH
    replied
    Attaching an image of mine, so far I know only half of my ancestry and it is almost entirely UK (ending up in the Southern US) mixed with late 18th-century Free People of Color accounting for the African admix. But my "other half" may be substantially more varied. Not sure what to make of it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Danny78
    replied
    In Dr. McDonalds analysis, I showed around 16% Native American ancestry. In my GEDmatches, I show around 17% NA ancestry. In "My Origins", I show 11% New World and 4% East Asian. I don't know of any East Asian ancestry in my family. Plus, East Asian immigration to Puerto Rico (where I'm from) was very scarce throughout its history. What are the chances that 4% "East Asian' in reality corresponds to Native American ancestry instead? Anybody with known Native American ancestry getting "East Asian" as well?

Leave a comment:

• Petra
    replied
    My Origins result is more detailled than the old PF. I am quiet happy with my results:

PF was:
    93% Orcadian
    7% Middle east (with the subgroups blabla)

MO is:
    96% European (58% E. Northlands, 26% Trans-Ural, 6% North Mediterrané, 6% europ. coastal)
    4% Middle East which is Anatolien & Caucasus)

So they split the former ME into Mediteran and Anatolia.

I like the map and explanations, even if it´s for more ancient populations. I can´t compare it to 23&me just with gedmatch, but I think it´s ok. I wished I could see more results of my matches (just 3 - I do not know, if all 80 opted out to show their pop results?)

Thanks a lot to FTDNA for the improvement!
    Last edited by Petra; 6 May 2014, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mudgeeclarke
    replied
    I find my results to be quite accurate, and I like the heat map changing when expanded, with more dense color for the greatest number of hits.

European 100%

Expanded to:
    European Coastal Islands 44%
    European Northlands 29%
    European Coastal Plain 26%
    North Circumpolar 1%

When "the dust settles", I hope we can get better linkages to the names on the pop-up balloons. There are a few names which I need to chase up on now ...

Thank you to the workers who put this together ...

Leave a comment:

• Nijuurasen
    replied
    My mother's isolated results are very easy to understand on 23andme, and phased results on Gedmatch are quite clear (father is UK/Scottish with German) but that mix (i.e. me) seems to confuse certain calculators on Gedmatch and certainly FTDNA.

There are many, many reports of Southern Italians getting huge percentages of ME on FTDNA (sometimes even 100%) so it's clear there's something up with it.

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
    I'm over Half Southern Italian, and I have no such component in MyOrigins.

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaru View Post
    You have three balloons in the British Isles yet you have no European Coastal Isles percentages. Conversely, I have three balloons in Eastern Europe, yet, have no trans-ural peneplain (sounds like a bathroom word) in my results- although it is the majority characteristic for me across the Gedmatch utilities. So, I am stumped, truly.
    I believe the balloons are my matches, and not my genetics?

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    Originally posted by Nijuurasen View Post
    My My Origins Percentages are about what they used to be under PF (74% Euro/26% ME then, 77% Euro/23% ME now) except now the ME is completely contained to "Anatolia Caucasus" rather than the "Palestinian, Jewish, Adygel, Bedouin South, Druze" mix it used to be.

Mother is Southern Ital on all lines going back at least hundreds of years. Not sure if this new My Origins handles Southern Italian correctly or we're still seeing ancient influence. 23andme has her at 87% Italian, 7% Southern Euro, some other Euro bits and 0.6% ME/0.2% North African.

Hmm.

I'm over Half Southern Italian, and I have no such component in MyOrigins. I also have the "Anatolia Caucasus"
    Last edited by Taz85; 6 May 2014, 01:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    Nuts.

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
    Here is the Heat Map for my results.....
    You have three balloons in the British Isles yet you have no European Coastal Isles percentages. Conversely, I have three balloons in Eastern Europe, yet, have no trans-ural peneplain (sounds like a bathroom word) in my results- although it is the majority characteristic for me across the Gedmatch utilities. So, I am stumped, truly.

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    Can I have the old Population Finder back please.....

Leave a comment:

• Nijuurasen
    replied
    My My Origins Percentages are about what they used to be under PF (74% Euro/26% ME then, 77% Euro/23% ME now) except now the ME is completely contained to "Anatolia Caucasus" rather than the "Palestinian, Jewish, Adygel, Bedouin South, Druze" mix it used to be.

Mother is Southern Ital on all lines going back at least hundreds of years. Not sure if this new My Origins handles Southern Italian correctly or we're still seeing ancient influence. 23andme has her at 87% Italian, 7% Southern Euro, some other Euro bits and 0.6% ME/0.2% North African.

Hmm.

Leave a comment:

• sboyer
    replied
    Mine is the same 3 kits all the same results.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X