New Pop Finder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaru View Post
    I see we already have one who is opting out. It's too bad for us, but I respect their decision.
    I will opt in again if there is a good reason to do so.

Comment

I won't opt out

If it is accurate, it is me and whatever it says, I won't be ashamed of it. If it's not accurate, what difference does it make if people see what I'm not made of?

Comment

Fantastic news about the new population finder!
        Opt out button is there still don't understand why? I shan't need it well done
        FT DNA.
        Looking forward to the out come and possible contacts
        Last edited by benboy; 11 April 2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Finally!

I am thrilled they are updating...anything is an improvement than what is there now! I am optimistic it will be better with the information they have collected and the time they have taken to update it. Lets face it...you can't please everyone all of the time and I am sure some will be disappointed..but that's life. I hope people don't opt out as for some of us looking for an unknown...the ethnicity breakdown helps us.
          Last edited by auntsha; 11 April 2014, 02:48 PM. Reason: Missed a word

Comment

I am anxious to see what it will happen with my 58,60% of Russian! I have nothing to do with Russian! My ancestors were from Iberian Peninsula.
            Last edited by winner; 11 April 2014, 03:04 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by mahgninnuc View Post
              If it is accurate, it is me and whatever it says, I won't be ashamed of it. If it's not accurate, what difference does it make if people see what I'm not made of?
              Maybe you got dna tested so the whole world can see.I live in a small rural community and some of my autosomal dna belongs to them as well.

Comment

I don't know yet if I will opt out or not. My concerns aren't about showing the ethnicities, but about showing the percentages. When I first got my Ancestry DNA results, they had the ethnicity pie charts for my matches. My first reaction to that was that I didn't see why I needed to know that much detail. Ancestry has since changed to only list the ethnicities, not the percentages, and I think that is enough.

Last year, when FTDNA solicited comments on this, my preference was to make people opt in rather than opting out. But in any case I asked that they only show the ethnicity, not the percentages.

Unless someone has 100% of one ethnicity, I don't see how knowing the percentage makes a difference.

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                  Maybe you got dna tested so the whole world can see.I live in a small rural community and some of my autosomal dna belongs to them as well.
                  Maybe you should do an opinion poll in your community and see what they, collectively, would like to share/not share.

Comment

I'm not sure whether to opt out on all my kits and then opt in again if the results agree with Ancestry, 23AndMe, and the various utilities I've used, or just to leave it public until I go over it. FTDNA is currently so far in disagreement with all the others and with my known genealogy that I wouldn't want to display it to everyone as it might lead to false conclusions about whether or not we could have ancestors in common. If the new version is more or less in agreement with the rest, I don't mind displaying it.

Comment

After all these years, FTDNA will stop labeling Polish ancestry as "Orcadian."

Comment

These matches that some of you don't want to see your population finder results ARE YOUR COUSINS!!!! FAMILY!!!

I put this opting out right up there with not answering emails and not putting on a gedcom.

I've seen non-responsive matches lay out their whole family line on message boards but they won't respond to a request from a genetic cousin.

Why why why do you need to opt out???

Comment

I think those who want to opt out have every
                          Right to do so but those who do should not be aloud to see
                          Others percentiges, also I would like an option
                          To remove people from my matches list without
                          Proper names I don't think it's fare they can see
                          All my info but they don't have any?

Comment

What is wrong with seeing other people's percentages?
                            For some people THIS information may help them to figure out where connections are.
                            This is just my personal view, I feel people are far too sensitive about these sorts of things.
                            The whole idea of having match notifications is to make connections.
                            There are many people who do not respond to emails so with-holding ethnic percentages just presents further problems.
                            If we match, we are probably family.
                            If there are skeletons in the closet, deal with it! Why make it hard for everyone?

Comment

Someone brought up a good point about how sometimes people can misinterpret what the person's ancestry is. I know I have seen countless people do that. Even my own mother, when I tried to explain what PF had for results, she was confused, but I had to explain again and again.

So someone could easily see my mom's ethnicities and misinterpret it unless they understood our genealogy. Although I do have a Gedcom uploaded, people may not be able to understand the ethnicities behind the person's name.

Comment

Originally posted by mamoahina View Post
                                Someone brought up a good point about how sometimes people can misinterpret what the person's ancestry is. I know I have seen countless people do that. Even my own mother, when I tried to explain what PF had for results, she was confused, but I had to explain again and again.

So someone could easily see my mom's ethnicities and misinterpret it unless they understood our genealogy. Although I do have a Gedcom uploaded, people may not be able to understand the ethnicities behind the person's name.
                                Anyone who would look at Population Finder alone would most likely misinterpret results. Ethnicity percentages, together with Gedcom files will definitely assist people.

My point is why make it any more difficult by hiding ethnic percentages?

Comment

Working...
                                X