BritainsDNA Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BritainsDNA Results

I recently tested with BritainsDNA and got some interesting results. My results said that I came up as West Eurasian (which includes European, West Asian and some South Asian), Sub-Saharan African and Asian-Native American.

On paper, I know that I am of Southern Italian, Polish and Irish descent.

FTDNA Results:
    67.37% European (French, Orcadian, Spanish) +/- 9.57%
    32.63% Middle Eastern (Jewish, Adygei, Druze) +/-9.57%

Ancestry.com's DNA test says that I am:

(From Europe) 90%
    -Italy/Greece 37%
    -Europe East 27%
    -Ireland 18%
    //// Trace Regions ////
    -Europe West 2%
    -Scandivia < 1%

(From Africa) 2%
    //// Trace Regions ////
    Africa North - 2%

(From West Asia) 8%
    //// Trace Regions ////
    --Caucasus - 7%
    --Near East - 1%

The results for BritainsDNA surprised me a little bit. I expected the West Eurasian result and possibly the African (due to the known Southern Italian ancestry), but I did not expect the Native American result, nor did I expect the amount that I got: lots of little pieces of African and Native American spread out over most of the chromosome pairs.

I have no known Native American ancestry and when it appeared in some of the admixture calculators on Gedmatch, I thought it most likely something related to the Middle Eastern result that was mistakenly showing up as Native American.

BritainsDNA also allows you to see how your ancestry breaks down percentage-wise, and using the Global view (you can view your results via Global, Africa, Europe, West Asia, South and Central Asia, East and North Asia and Hispano-Afro-Caribbean-Native American; Global was the only view that my results fit in to and could be viewed in) they came up as follows:

Native American - 4%
    Pacific - 3%
    East Asian - 2%
    North Asian - 0%
    South Asian - 0%
    European - 68%
    Southwest Asian - 9%
    West Eurasian - 14%
    East African - 0%
    Pan-African - 2%
    Ancient African - 0%

I emailed BritainsDNA to ask if the amounts of African and Native American were statistical noise, since they were small but appeared throughout most of the chromosome pairs. BritainsDNA states that anything below about 1-3% is "potentially not informative". So, right now, I am not sure if those results are real or not.

What do you think?

mtDNA results

To anyone with mtDNA results from BritainsDNA (or ScotlandsDNA etc), I'd be interested in seeing a list of your mutations and your haplogroup assignment. If you've been tested at other companies (GenoChip, 23andMe, FTDNA etc), I'd like to compare the SNP selection. You can e-mail me directly [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
      To anyone with mtDNA results from BritainsDNA (or ScotlandsDNA etc), I'd be interested in seeing a list of your mutations and your haplogroup assignment. If you've been tested at other companies (GenoChip, 23andMe, FTDNA etc), I'd like to compare the SNP selection. You can e-mail me directly [email protected]
      Dear Ms. Turner:

I have sent you a private message to your email address as requested.

Comment

Working...
      X